Empty folder getting deleted

zebo51

zebo51

Under my Home videos and photos library, I have a few folders.  One folder is constantly changing where I'm adding media and deleting it after seen.  When I get down to one item and delete it, it will also delete the folder.  Then when I go to add stuff again, I have to recreate the folder.

Why is this? Why can 't it leave an empty folder?

I'm just deleting the file inside the folder using Emby.

Hi, if it's a single video inside a folder then that is what happens. If it is a mixed folder with multiple videos then it won't.

zebo51

Anyway to change this?  I don't want Emby messing with my folder structure.  This is a constantly changing folder and sometimes it will be empty, sometimes it may have several videos in it.

Oh and yes it is just videos.

pwhodges

How about making the folder read-only so that Emby can't delete it?

Paul

zebo51
52 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

How about making the folder read-only so that Emby can't delete it?

Paul

Doesn't work, at least just giving it the simple RO attribute.  The Everyone and System groups have full rights to it, so I guess I would have to figure out what emby uses and try locking it down that way.  Don't really want to mess with all that though.

zebo51

I guess I get why it does it to an extend, I sometimes watch a movie or show and then delete it and don't want just empty movie folders sitting out there.  But if the content doesn't match the folder name then it would be nice to leave it. 

pwhodges

Are you in Windows?  I guess you need to go into advanced security settings and remove the Delete permissions...

Read about it here.

Paul

Edited by pwhodges

5 hours ago, zebo51 said:

Anyway to change this?  I don't want Emby messing with my folder structure.  This is a constantly changing folder and sometimes it will be empty, sometimes it may have several videos in it.

Oh and yes it is just videos.

Not currently, but more control over this is possible for future updates. thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
zebo51
On 5/3/2022 at 10:16 AM, pwhodges said:

Are you in Windows?  I guess you need to go into advanced security settings and remove the Delete permissions...

Read about it here.

Paul

If I had hair I would be pulling it out.  I can't even count how many combinations I have tried and can't figure this out.  The folder inherits 2 accounts, Everyone and System.  I disabled inheritance.  I'm not sure which account Emby uses so I have been messing with different combinations on each, allowing, deny, deleting, this folder only, subfolders and files etc etc and so far no luck.  It either deletes the file and the folder, or I can get it to where it can't delete either but no luck finding the right combination to only delete the file and not folder.

If anyone else has a windows machine and wants to mess around with this that would be great.  Maybe I'm just missing it.

zebo51

Deny has precedence over Allow, so you would think this would work but still when I choose to delete the file in emby, the folder gets deleted too.

Screenshot 2022-05-17 085842-2.png

when I choose to delete the file in emby, the folder gets deleted too.

When it's just a single file in a folder, that's what will currently happen.

zebo51
51 minutes ago, HtRabbit said:

I got an invalid name when trying that, so after some more searching con is a reserved name.  There are ways to still make it but then it isn't accessible using explorer so won't work for me.  Thanks for the suggestion though. 

HtRabbit

just as an idea , have you tried to create a file that  emby won't catalog, and remove all permissions.

if it cant delete the file , it cant remove a non empty directory.

i myself just put every thing in my media folder and sort by date added. emby handles everything else amazing. when done watching i just delete the movie and done.

no muss , no fuss.

Edited by HtRabbit

zebo51
7 hours ago, Luke said:

When it's just a single file in a folder, that's what will currently happen.

So until/if/when this ever gets changed I just created a file called z_nodelete.mp4.  Marked it as played so it doesn't show up on my main screen and if I go to that folder it will be at the end of the list.

Thanks to everyone's suggestions.

• Agree 1