Bad loading times on several media files

DooDafiit
Go to solution Solved by DooDafiit,

DooDafiit

Hi guys

I have the problem of bad loading times (up to 2 minutes) on several media files. It's definitely no network problem because 4k media files with 20GB file size starts immediatly and files with 2GB not. 

I have this problem on all devices with the emby app:

• Emby for iPadOS: iPad Pro with iPadOS 15
  • Emby for Android: Google Pixel 5 with Android 12
  • Emby for Android TV: Nvidia Shield TV 2017 with Android 11 and Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 with Android 11

I tested it with Emby Server for FreeBSD on my TrueNAS and on an Emby Server plugin for Western Digital NAS PR4100. Everywhere the same behaviour with the same files.

Curiously I have no problems with the Emby Next Gen Addon for Kodi. There are no bad loading times.

Follwing the meta data of a media file with bad loading times:

Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Video bit depth: 8 bit
Videocodec: h264
Refresh rate: 23,98 fps
Video bitrate: 13911 kbps

I attached the embyserver log after I started a epsiode with bad loading time. I would also attached the ffmpeg log but there are no new entries after starting the episode.

Hope you can help me :)

embyserver (1).txt

7 hours ago, DooDafiit said:

Hi guys

I have the problem of bad loading times (up to 2 minutes) on several media files. It's definitely no network problem because 4k media files with 20GB file size starts immediatly and files with 2GB not. 

I have this problem on all devices with the emby app:

• Emby for iPadOS: iPad Pro with iPadOS 15
  • Emby for Android: Google Pixel 5 with Android 12
  • Emby for Android TV: Nvidia Shield TV 2017 with Android 11 and Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 with Android 11

I tested it with Emby Server for FreeBSD on my TrueNAS and on an Emby Server plugin for Western Digital NAS PR4100. Everywhere the same behaviour with the same files.

Curiously I have no problems with the Emby Next Gen Addon for Kodi. There are no bad loading times.

Follwing the meta data of a media file with bad loading times:

Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Video bit depth: 8 bit
Videocodec: h264
Refresh rate: 23,98 fps
Video bitrate: 13911 kbps

I attached the embyserver log after I started a epsiode with bad loading time. I would also attached the ffmpeg log but there are no new entries after starting the episode.

Hope you can help me :)

embyserver (1).txt 652.49 kB · 1 download

Hi there, what time during this log file did the problem occur?

DooDafiit

Wow... Nothing? Why does Kodi plays this episodes immediatly? Why do I have a premium license when I get this support? :(

DooDafiit

Nope, nothing changed. I sideloaded the Emby Android TV app. Yesterday at about 11 p.m. I tried to play 'The Cleveland Show' as you can see in the attached log. Partly it took 2 minutes to start the episode...

embyserver-63787392000.txt

On 5/6/2022 at 5:04 AM, DooDafiit said:

Nope, nothing changed. I sideloaded the Emby Android TV app. Yesterday at about 11 p.m. I tried to play 'The Cleveland Show' as you can see in the attached log. Partly it took 2 minutes to start the episode...

embyserver-63787392000.txt 699.29 kB · 1 download

@DooDafiit it looks like you sideloaded our Android TV app. Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and let us know how that compares? 

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks !

Happy2Play

A guess would be @DooDafiitis not using our FFMPEG and it is causing issues. @Luke

2022-05-05 00:00:00.106 Info App: Emby
	Command line: /usr/local/lib/emby-server/system/EmbyServer.exe -os freebsd -ffmpeg /usr/local/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /usr/local/bin/ffprobe -programdata /var/db/emby-server -updatepackage emby-server-freebsd_{version}_amd64.txz -noautorunwebapp
	Operating system: Unix 12.2.14.0

ffmpeg version 4.4.2 Copyright (c) 2000-2021 the FFmpeg developers
  built with FreeBSD clang version 10.0.1 (git@github.com:llvm/llvm-project.git llvmorg-10.0.1-0-gef32c611aa2)

How did you install FreeBSD?

DooDafiit
4 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

A guess would be @DooDafiitis not using our FFMPEG and it is causing issues. @Luke

2022-05-05 00:00:00.106 Info App: Emby
	Command line: /usr/local/lib/emby-server/system/EmbyServer.exe -os freebsd -ffmpeg /usr/local/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /usr/local/bin/ffprobe -programdata /var/db/emby-server -updatepackage emby-server-freebsd_{version}_amd64.txz -noautorunwebapp
	Operating system: Unix 12.2.14.0

ffmpeg version 4.4.2 Copyright (c) 2000-2021 the FFmpeg developers
  built with FreeBSD clang version 10.0.1 (git@github.com:llvm/llvm-project.git llvmorg-10.0.1-0-gef32c611aa2)

How did you install FreeBSD?

I think I installed TrueNAS with the instructions here: https://www.truenas.com/docs/core/gettingstarted/install/

For the emby server I used the following plugin:

image.thumb.png.5dd1009d31a9900235376961c28bcf3e.png

@Happy2PlayWhy does it then work in the web player and Kodi with no issues? And as I said in my first post I have the same problems Emby server on WD My Cloud PR4100. 

5 hours ago, Luke said:

@DooDafiit it looks like you sideloaded our Android TV app. Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and let us know how that compares? 

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks !

Done and no positive news. Nothing changed.

Edited by DooDafiit

Happy2Play
2 hours ago, DooDafiit said:

Why does it then work in the web player and Kodi with no issues?

Am only guessing here, but playback method is probably different.

But at the same time devs would need to know why you are getting TranscodeReasons=DirectPlayError,DirectPlayError in that example.

DooDafiit

@Happy2Play Okay, thanks for your reply.

I tested it on Apple products again and everything works here now.

In summary the problems are only on Android devices - with the official Emby Android and Android TV App. @Luke Maybe that's important for you.

DooDafiit

I think I got it. I searched through this topics: 

and 

I have several files which are MP4 files in MKV container wrongly. This could be the problem. The keyword here is compression header which are faulty on my files. I ran one file through handbrake and voila it works due to it's now a 'clean' mkv file I think.

Do you know any way to fix this mkv files which already have been muxed? It will took a really long time to run all through handbrake.

5 hours ago, DooDafiit said:

@Happy2Play Okay, thanks for your reply.

I tested it on Apple products again and everything works here now.

In summary the problems are only on Android devices - with the official Emby Android and Android TV App. @Luke Maybe that's important for you.

Can you please provide the server log from when you tried this with the standard app? Thanks.

Happy2Play

The ffmpeg log shows non-Emby ffmpeg being used as your should have "FFmpeg developers and softworkz for Emby LLC", but if it is just a file issue you could try remuxing them with mkvtoolnix.

• Solution
DooDafiit
5 hours ago, Luke said:

Can you please provide the server log from when you tried this with the standard app? Thanks.

@Luke Every attached log in this thread was created immidiatly after I started a 'broken' file. 

1 hour ago, Happy2Play said:

The ffmpeg log shows non-Emby ffmpeg being used as your should have "FFmpeg developers and softworkz for Emby LLC", but if it is just a file issue you could try remuxing them with mkvtoolnix.

@Happy2Play I removed this faulty video codec from my files with mkvtoolnix and it worked. Don't know where it comes from.

image.png.ca67d592814d1edc580808b08d9488b8.png

Happy2Play

Glad you have a working solution, but I would expect issues on non-Emby ffmpeg in some situations also.

Not knowing exactly what a MPNG is this something Emby should be detecting (secondary video)? @Luke

Stream #0:1: Video: png (MPNG / 0x474E504D), none(pc, progressive), 500x375, SAR 1:1 DAR 4:3, 25 fps, 25 tbr, 1k tbn, 1k tbc
    Metadata:
      ENCODER         : Lavc58.134.100 png
      DURATION        : 00:00:00.123000000

6 hours ago, DooDafiit said:

@Happy2Play I removed this faulty video codec from my files with mkvtoolnix and it worked. Don't know where it comes from.

This is just an embedded image. I don't really buy this, that removing it would have fixed anything.
Except when something else in the mkv would have been wrong and got fixed by editing with mkvtoolnix.

DooDafiit
8 hours ago, softworkz said:

This is just an embedded image. I don't really buy this, that removing it would have fixed anything.
Except when something else in the mkv would have been wrong and got fixed by editing with mkvtoolnix.

I tested it minutes ago. Just remuxing the file doesn't have an effect. Only removing this image makes the file work.

Thanks for trying.

Could you please post the ffmpeg log from the case where it fails?

rbjtech

I've seen mkv Tag's screw up playback before - especially Global Tag's.  Were they removed during the remuxing as well ?

DooDafiit
17 hours ago, softworkz said:

Thanks for trying.

Could you please post the ffmpeg log from the case where it fails?

The ffmpeg log didn't change the last days. Not even when I streamed the faulty files.

1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

I've seen mkv Tag's screw up playback before - especially Global Tag's.  Were they removed during the remuxing as well ?

Nope, only the MPNG was removed.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DooDafiit said:

The ffmpeg log didn't change the last days. Not even when I streamed the faulty files.

ffmpeg logs never change. New ones are created. 

But then, it's probably DirectPlay which means that it's not Emby server having a problem with the MPNG stream. It's the client who gets confused by that stream.

I'm pretty sure that when you enforce transcoding, there won't be an issue with the MPNG stream being present.