Write protect drive to fix data

jlj1950
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

jlj1950

Hello,

I have had to re-select video poster and backdrop images several times. I have a question.

If I write protect the drives after I have everything the way I want, and the drives will have no more videos added, will I run into problems when I run Emby?

Thank you.

Happy2Play

In theory sure.  But do not know this initial issue of what exactly is happening or why images change.  

As read only will prevent images from being written to drive but may force Emby to save to fallback /metadata/library/xx/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.  Then you have issues of why are my images changing.

jlj1950
41 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

In theory sure.  But do not know this initial issue of what exactly is happening or why images change.  

As read only will prevent images from being written to drive but may force Emby to save to fallback /metadata/library/xx/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.  Then you have issues of why are my images changing.

I examined some of the images in that subdirectory. Many are the images I hand selected. This brings up the posibility of using my hand selected images for 'fallback.'

Can the fallback recording process be triggered manually? What about fallback deployment?

Bottom line: can and will I be able to establish my selections permanently, regardless of program state or action?

Thank you.

Edited by jlj1950

koopa8840
3 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Wouldn't this only apply if you had it set to refresh the metadata automatically? I mean, if you're never going to update the metadata and images then there shouldn't be a problem with write-protecting the drive. Am I wrong and misunderstanding?

• Solution
Happy2Play
1 minute ago, koopa8840 said:

Wouldn't this only apply if you had it set to refresh the metadata automatically? I mean, if you're never going to update the metadata and images then there shouldn't be a problem with write-protecting the drive. Am I wrong and misunderstanding?

Pretty much, but this assumes you have written with media.  Images with media will always take priority even when you change them and Emby cannot write to media folder.  Emby will temporarily write to /metadata/library but will eventually revert back for image with media.

Images not written with media can be lost if something happens to install or media library changes or media is moved.

jlj1950
1 hour ago, Happy2Play said:

Pretty much, but this assumes you have written with media.  Images with media will always take priority even when you change them and Emby cannot write to media folder.  Emby will temporarily write to /metadata/library but will eventually revert back for image with media.

Images not written with media can be lost if something happens to install or media library changes or media is moved.

What do you mean by "written with media?"  And "Images with media?" 

Thank you.

Happy2Play
Just now, jlj1950 said:

What do you mean by "written with media?"  And "Images with media?" 

Thank you.

Images store with media vs centrally stored in /metadata/library.

Per library setting "Save artwork into media folders".

image.thumb.png.0dfabdabcc7ddada1d62bb84c6c05b19.png

If saved with media, the only way to lose is if you lose the media.

jlj1950
On 4/30/2022 at 10:31 PM, Happy2Play said:

Images store with media vs centrally stored in /metadata/library.

Per library setting "Save artwork into media folders".

image.thumb.png.0dfabdabcc7ddada1d62bb84c6c05b19.png

If saved with media, the only way to lose is if you lose the media.

Thanks. This clarifies a lot. I have the appropriate box checked in the libraries' forms.