How to add a RottenTomatoes link to media

cptbrainia

cptbrainia

I've been reading around and realize (I think) that we can't change the RottenTomatoes critic rating to the audience score due to cost/info passed along from RT.  However, is there a way to get a link added to the bottom of the media?

Underneath links (in a movie library), there are links to the IMDB page, TheMovieDB page, and Trakt (if it's installed).  Is there any way to add an RT link here?  

Thanks!

Happy2Play

Not unless there is an easy search url to use existing TMDB or IMDB id to get to an item on RT.

Like Trakt links are by tmdbid or imdbid

https://trakt.tv/search/tmdb/767825?id_type=movie
https://trakt.tv/search/imdb/tt12585076?id_type=movie

visproduction

It wouldn't be an easy hack.

Rottentomates links work like this:

Maybe do a delayed .js script to make a link to https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/{movie name}_{release year}. Search the DOM for <h1> 404 - Not Found</h1>.  If found then try just https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/{movie name}

If you still get a 404, then change the link CSS class to hidden.

There is probably also some version name change for movies and TV shows that have the same name in the same year.  That would probably break this hack.  Maybe you could search by director to confirm you found the right media page.

cptbrainia

Thanks for the responses; I appreciate anyone other than me giving it some thought.

Let me preface what I'm about to say with this: I expect that I'm wrong and that I just don't understand yet why I'm wrong.  That being said...

Doing some poking around, couldn't this just be parsed from the rottentomatoes API?

You can view the results for your example below:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/api/private/v2.0/search?q=vortex

It lists all 15 movies and separates them by year released.  Couldn't emby just pull the URL for the release that matches the year of the media you're viewing?

I'm sure there are some examples where this could get dicey, e.g. maybe a common name where there are two movies with the same name released the same year, but it seems like if you could manually set the link in the metadata or something, that would be workable.

Honestly, I'd take any implementation - even a rough one. I hate the process/steps required to pull an Emby movie up on RottenTomatoes.  Also, as my friend pointed out, Plex provides user ratings.  I don't care about Plex having a feature that Emby doesn't, but I don't like my friend having bragging rights.

visproduction

Cpt,

Nice find, but only some of the links go to a media page.  A lot of the links go to 404 - Not found.  RT probably limits their dbase entries to those with some hits.  Or, there is a different API page that is more up to date.  I already tried v.2.1 and v2.01... nothing.  It's a good chance that coding a scraping script might work most of the time with this API link, but it would be nice to find out if there is a more up to date API.  How did you find this one?  Maybe there is discussion further.  It's sort of annoying when you write a script and 2 weeks later the site updates and your script fails.  Obviously, the best answer is to contact the site and work out a deal.  If links appear inside Emby product, then Rotten Tomatoes gets a promotion and traffic, as well.  Sometimes, the company is happy to provide up to date API that will continue to work.

Edited by visproduction

I'm not sure where that API url came from but the RT API and data are not free and any attempt to "scrape" this data from web pages or discovered urls would be violating their IP.

BillOatman

@ebr  Looks like you fill out a proposal form and if they like you, you can use their data.  I have to believe Emby would get approved.

The link is here.

Edited by BillOatman

roaku
1 hour ago, BillOatman said:

@ebr  Looks like you fill out' a proposal form and if they like you, you can use their data.  I have to believe Emby would get approved.

The link is here.

Being 'liked' by them is comically expensive.

Happy2Play

From an old post.

"Thank you for your interest in the Rotten Tomatoes API.

API users have access to our existing API, which provides full access to Rotten Tomatoes Scores and Reviews Snippets (up to 20), for an annual fee which starts at $60,000."

Rotten Tomatoes API? : webdev (reddit.com)

cptbrainia

Do you have any newer source as to the cost/process?  That reddit link is from 6 years ago.  It's quite possible something has changed in that time.

Happy2Play
7 minutes ago, cptbrainia said:

Do you have any newer source as to the cost/process?  That reddit link is from 6 years ago.  It's quite possible something has changed in that time.

Not that I have found.  But would not be surprised if it hasn't changed or went up.  As IMDB is the exact same way wanting $50,000 a year for their Community Ratings.

AWS Marketplace: IMDb Ratings for Movies/TV/OTT (Bulk data) (amazon.com)

BillOatman

The RT proposal form doesn't show cost, but this line would imply it is not free.

Unfortunately we cannot support data feed requests for educational or personal purposes at this time.

cptbrainia

They had an email contact form on their website for their business development team.  I went ahead and just asked them directly. Worse comes to worse, they simply ignore me (insert joke here about my wife).

I'll post if I get any response.