Samsung tv Tizen not on latest

marauder

marauder

I have 2 Samsung TVs. One is ks8500 model which runs tizen 2.4 is that version no longer supported? It’s showing 1.0.94 installed and no updates available. My other tv is nu6900 and it has 1.1.06

Is my ks series not compatible with the new version?

FrostByte
9 minutes ago, marauder said:

I have 2 Samsung TVs. One is ks8500 model which runs tizen 2.4 is that version no longer supported? It’s showing 1.0.94 installed and no updates available. My other tv is nu6900 and it has 1.1.06

Is my ks series not compatible with the new version?

Samsung doesn't accept updates for TVs after 5 years.  You will need to update from usb in order to get current. 

marauder

Ahh ok, thanks. Any documentation on how to do that? I notice my Netflix has gotten comes ui changes, but not sure if that’s an app update or not. 
does that hold true for the main OS?

FrostByte

Instructions for usb install is in the pinned link

Firmware updates are different.  It looks like your TV had a firmware update last Dec ver 1250

FrostByte

Have you checked the store for an update on your 2018?  I'm seeing v 1.2.6 available for that year and my model

marauder

I haven't checked, it's a spare TV, so it doesn't get used much. Only turn it on every few months. 

Thanks for the instructions for my other TV. Seems like it'll be a bit of a pain, with having to reinstall/update the app every month. Install seems straight forward and simple. Do you know if samsung blocks the app after a month, or just gives you the warning?

FrostByte

The app is compiled on a Samsung server, and they automatically add something which disables the app after 30 days from the time the devs compile it.  The devs did add a warning of their own that starts a couple days before that date so you can update early and not have it disable itself right when you need it.  

It is a pain, and how Samsung forces devs to go through them and the store.

marauder

thanks, yea thats a bit annoying. Not sure why samsung disables updates after 5 years. I couldn't find anything online regarding it. 

FrostByte

Luke just mentioned it a few times here that Samsung told him they would no longer take submissions for 2015 and 2016 TVs.  I would imagine 2017 is coming soon but haven't seen it mentioned yet.  

It kind of follows their normal 5 years of support though because whenever I've called Samsung, they mention 5 years. 

Edited by FrostByte

FrostByte

When Samsung tests an app they test using a TV from each year's model tier (premium tier, standard tier, etc) .  So, by not supporting older TVs they save themselves money.

marauder

yea and a way to push people to get a new TV. That would make sense why some apps in the app store don't show up on my older tv, when they do on my new one.

• Agree 1

FrostByte

It's possible they make an exception for the big guys like Netflix, etc.  Though there is no way I can prove that.