AV1 "Reason for transcoding: Video codec not supported"

tet

14 hours ago, gbcox said:

I unticked video transcoding and no video, only sound

Hi.  That would indicate our detection was working properly.

@ebrI'm not an emby developer, I'm an end user reporting a bug.  I can only report what I observe.  I don't understand the point of your reply.  Read the response in the thread from @speechles.  It has been acknowledged that there is a bug in the emby code which is causing AV1 videos not to play on a device that supports AV1 video.  You're making a distinction without a difference.

Edited by gbcox

@gbcox There are  some things happening here that @ebr isn't fully aware of. We are having discussion now about the best way to cure this problem. I would call it a Roku bug. Some would call it a new feature not fully implemented yet. I call those bugs on Roku Co's side.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-Developer-Program/Is-Roku-Ultra-2022-Correctly-reporting-it-supports-AV1/td-p/853716

I saw your post here on the Roku forums and used my alternate account there to question Roku themselves about this bug. We will have something to address this soon. Thanks for reporting and extra thanks for being vocal on Roku forums about it.

Edited by speechles

17 hours ago, gbcox said:

I unticked video transcoding and no video, only sound

Given that, I don't see a bug...

1 hour ago, speechles said:

@gbcox There are  some things happening here that @ebr isn't fully aware of. We are having discussion now about the best way to cure this problem. I would call it a Roku bug. Some would call it a new feature not fully implemented yet. I call those bugs on Roku Co's side.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-Developer-Program/Is-Roku-Ultra-2022-Correctly-reporting-it-supports-AV1/td-p/853716

I saw your post here on the Roku forums and used my alternate account there to question Roku themselves about this bug. We will have something to address this soon. Thanks for reporting and extra thanks for being vocal on Roku forums about it.

@speechles Thanks.  If it is indeed an issue in Roku's implementation, whether it be their documentation or actual code, it's good you're working with them to work through that.  LMK when you have something and I'll be happy to test it out.

Edited by gbcox
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, gbcox said:

@ebr you seem to be missing the messages from @speechles.  

Hi.  I'm not.  The fact that the item didn't play properly when you forced it to direct play tells me that the device doesn't actually support it and, therefore, our playback approach is correct.

Can you please just bring up the app on that device and then  follow the instructions to send a log from the app?

Thanks.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ebr said:

Hi.  I'm not.  The fact that the item didn't play properly when you forced it to direct play tells me that the device doesn't actually support it and, therefore, our playback approach is correct.

Can you please just bring up the app on that device and then  follow the instructions to send a log from the app?

Thanks.

@ebr Well, I can definitely do that but first I'd like to understand exactly who is working on this issue. @speechlesindicated he knows what the problem is and working on getting a fix.  Also, you mention that Roku Ultra does not support AV1, yet:

1.  Roku says it does in their product literature

2. The Roku Developer forum says that it supports AV1

3.  Plex is able to direct play AV1 with no transcoding (See photo above)

4.  If I insert a USB drive with the AV1 video it plays perfectly.

So while you are saying the emby software "believes" the device does not support AV1, that obviously doesn't mean that it's true.  Especially considering items 1 through 4 above.

• Thanks 1

@gbcox

image.png.4194a8e890b0b3e42cd21952f2d706fb.png

Do you just have "Allow media playback" checked? The other 3 below should be unchecked to mimic Force Direct Play using Plex. If you already have those 3 below unchecked and tried with Emby forgive me. I am just trying to reproduce on my end and remove any confusions.

We are also testing internally to get this resolved. We will have something soon.

Edited by speechles

@speechles Hey, thanks for that post.  I had only unchecked "Allow Video Transcoding" because that was the instructions given to me.  I just tested following your instructions (unchecking everything except "Allow media playback") and I'm seeing the video play perfectly now and it is reporting "Direct" with no transcoding.

Edited by gbcox
  • Thanks 1

Happy2Play
1 hour ago, gbcox said:

@speechles Hey, thanks for that post.  I had only unchecked "Allow Video Transcoding" because that was the instructions given to me.  I just tested following your instructions (unchecking everything except "Allow media playback") and I'm seeing the video play perfectly now and it is reporting "Direct" with no transcoding.

So that suggest something in auto detection system need updating and will require client logs.  As this will only affect newer models.

Edited by Happy2Play

3 hours ago, gbcox said:

Excellent. I knew I was not losing my mind. Thank you for confirming. I've left comments on Roku forums to help the other guys with this too in your thread there. Thanks very much for reporting and sticking with us through it.

1 hour ago, speechles said:

Excellent. I knew I was not losing my mind. Thank you for confirming. I've left comments on Roku forums to help the other guys with this too in your thread there. Thanks very much for reporting and sticking with us through it.

No worries.  Thanks for all your help.  Let me know if you need anything else!