DTS Playback only stereo instead of 5.1

Anderella

Anderella

Hi,

found this issue was discussed before, the working solution there with clearing cache and restarting fire-tv didn't help:

(as this was a topic from 2020 and there's just out a brand new emby version, I started a new topic)

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/82182-dts-passthroughconverting-problems/

Running latest Fire-TV Emby app. Trying to playback MKV file (Bluray Rip with DTS 5.1 and Dolby Digital Audio 5.1)

Fire-TV connected via HDMI (setting: Dolby Digital Auto via HDMI).

If I select DTS 5.1 the playback only runs on 2.0.

If I switch to Dolby Digital the receiver immediately switches to 5.1 playback.

Enclosed detailed on screen info pictures, as far as I see DTS needs "Software decode" instead of DD "Direct".

And also enclosed the full logfile, the movie I was trying to watch: "Widows".

Thx for help.

Dolby.JPG

DTS.JPG

embyserver-63786614392.txt

Hi, did you enable the option in the app's settings to downmix audio to stereo? I would check on that.

Anderella
20 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, did you enable the option in the app's settings to downmix audio to stereo? I would check on that.

Hi @Luke, thanks for your help. I verified that that downmix to stereo is not selected.

(I guess in this case Dolby Digital 5.1 wouldn't work either:)

7 hours ago, ebr said:

It sounds like your setup doesn't support DTS so it is being decoded on the device.

Hi @ebr, also thank you. Don't know what you exactly mean with my setup doesn't support DTS. My receiver is able to playback, hdmi connection also...

(Yesterday I had to watch the movie than old school via BluRay and PS3, same HDMI input, DTS worked)

7 hours ago, ebr said:

You could set the audio to convert to DD on the server and that would produce 5.1 sound.

Just went through all server settings (via webpage), but couldn't find any audio setting to convert DTS to DD.

Again tried playback, movie Widows:

first seconds I tried DTS resulting in stereo output. After a few seconds I switched audio to DD 5.1, it worked.

(Unfortunately this is the track with audio description of the movie, and is not an alternative)

I sent the logfile, logged in User: Kopiflix-Anda, Time: 15:42 (London 21:42)

As a second test I changed the playback setting on my fire-tv from "Auto" to "Convert non supported audioformat to Dolby Digital", which kindly stops the playback, freezes and stutters.

Second logfile sent, same as above: Time: 15:48

I hope these informations help.

Hi.  You are using a first generation Fire device and it does not support DTS.

50 minutes ago, Anderella said:

Just went through all server settings (via webpage), but couldn't find any audio setting to convert DTS to DD.

Sorry, the wording of my instructions was poor.  The setting to convert to DD is in the app  under "Audio Output".

Anderella

Ah, I see.

So basically my second test - setting the conversion to DD on my fire-tv (emby app) - was the right direction.

BUT: Playback stutters and freezes.

Did my second logfile help?

I see a lot of errors in your second log related to the audio track.  I know this may not be what you want to hear but it may just be that device is too old.  It is very low powered and running Android 5.1.

• Like 1

Anderella

Hm, that's sad.
So I guess the device is also responsable for the "on the fly server" conversion?

Wanted to stay as long as possible on this device, because it was the last with optical audio out, which I prefer for solo audio playback.....

Do you think the current Fire-Tv Stick (of course with LAN Adapter) should work or would you advise me to go directly to the Fire-TV Cube?

I think the Fire-TV Stick 4K doesn't make sense as my TV and Beamer are at least Full HD.

You can still use the latest fire stick on your TV, even if it's a 4k stick on an older TV.

• Like 1

rbjtech
2 hours ago, Anderella said:

Do you think the current Fire-Tv Stick (of course with LAN Adapter) should work or would you advise me to go directly to the Fire-TV Cube?

The Cube is effectively an echo Dot plus a 4K Max FireTV - so you get the added ability to say 'Alexa Turn on My TV' or 'Alexa Open Emby' (and it will turn on the TV, and open Emby) etc.

It is also one of the few devices to support HDR10, HLG, HDR10+ and DV(lvl 5,8+9) - ie all the HDR formats and of course has Ethernet built in (but STILL only 100Mbit/sec) :(.

This is a good link to see all the technical differences on the Fire devices -

https://developer.amazon.com/docs/fire-tv/device-specifications.html

• Like 1

Anderella

Thanks for your further inputs, I will have a look.

As I like "devices" more than sticks (with built in ethernet), I probably prefer the cube, but also read some good stuff about the shield tv pro.....

OMG:)