Home Networking advice

mattykellyuk

mattykellyuk

Hi.

I will soon be moving into a bigger house and want to set up a better home network but I'm a bit of an amateur. I would like 10 gigabit to be future proof and would like any advice based on the current plan below:

- Internet comes through UK openreach fibre which is an Ethernet port.
- Cat6 cable to a PoE router with about 10 ports (do they exist? I'm having trouble finding them)
- route Cat6 cables through the house to Ethernet ports in different rooms and wireless access points.

Any observations or advice would be great.

CassTG

I use unifi gear as the hardware is well made and the software is sleek albeit I'm on Early access version.

As your on bt and they top out if your lucky at 900mbps but more likely 100 or 200mbps you could get away with a vdsl modem such as the bt Huawei or dreytek. Add in a unifi dreamachine Pro as your router/ inbuilt nvr and network controller.

Then add whatever wifi access points you want or need. As for switches they do 24 or 48 ports switches with 10g options. As well as smaller units with or without poe

The unifi eco system is its main selling point along with the fact there hardware tends to be cheaper.

However you can throw in non unifi gear as well you just loose some monitoring features and ease of adoption

jachin99

I have ubiquiti poe switches and APs and I really like them but I also avoid their managed switches because I don't feel like they are very secure.  I put all of my dumb switches behind a peplink Soho router and firewall and I turned off remote management for everything.  I really like my ubiquiti gear but I just don't entirely trust it