Where are the rest of the cast for TV Shows and Movies?

MBSki

MBSki

There seems to be a limit on how many cast show up in the metadata list. On B Positive for example I see only 9 cast, even though there are 82 listed on TheMovidDb (https://www.themoviedb.org/tv/104714-b-positive/cast) site. How do I pull in ALL the cast?

image.thumb.png.5629662eb87b472cc7ca94da4749808b.png

I have all of the metadata providers selected. TheTVDB is the priority, but shouldn't it pull from TheMovieDb too?

image.png.e2f922bb727068b2b59549da8bea0e78.png

Happy2Play

People/Cast and Crew come from first provider not all providers.  Same discussion for everyone asking the same question when OMDB is first provider.

Series Actors - TheTVDB.com

You would have to have TMDB as first provider to pull all of those People.  But the way TMDB does it is wrong as Series level will show all guest stars that should appear at episode level.  So all of those people that appear in only one episode should never be at Series level in my opinion.

And OMDB gives even less.

Spoiler

{"Title":"B Positive","Year":"2020–","Rated":"TV-14","Released":"05 Nov 2020","Runtime":"N/A","Genre":"Comedy, Drama","Director":"N/A","Writer":"Marco Pennette","Actors":"Annaleigh Ashford, Thomas Middleditch, Darryl Stephens","Plot":"Newly divorced dad Drew faces finding a kidney donor and is at the end of his rope and his hope when he runs into Gina, a rough-around-the edges woman from his past who volunteers her own.","Language":"English","Country":"United States","Awards":"Nominated for 2 Primetime Emmys. 3 nominations total","Poster":"https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BOTg4YzM2OTUtZGE0OC00MDk1LWEyZjQtNjhiYzYyNTk2NWJjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjEwNTM2Mzc@._V1_SX300.jpg","Ratings":[{"Source":"Internet Movie Database","Value":"6.3/10"}],"Metascore":"N/A","imdbRating":"6.3","imdbVotes":"2,929","imdbID":"tt11839500","Type":"series","totalSeasons":"2","Response":"True"}

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

MBSki
5 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

People/Cast and Crew come from first provider not all providers.  Same discussion for everyone asking the same question when OMDB is first provider.

You would have to have TMDB as first provider to pull all of those People.  But the way TMDB does it is wrong as Series level will show all guest stars that should appear at episode level.  So all of those people that appear in only one episode should never be at Series level in my opinion.

And OMDB gives even less.

Hide contents

{"Title":"B Positive","Year":"2020–","Rated":"TV-14","Released":"05 Nov 2020","Runtime":"N/A","Genre":"Comedy, Drama","Director":"N/A","Writer":"Marco Pennette","Actors":"Annaleigh Ashford, Thomas Middleditch, Darryl Stephens","Plot":"Newly divorced dad Drew faces finding a kidney donor and is at the end of his rope and his hope when he runs into Gina, a rough-around-the edges woman from his past who volunteers her own.","Language":"English","Country":"United States","Awards":"Nominated for 2 Primetime Emmys. 3 nominations total","Poster":"https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BOTg4YzM2OTUtZGE0OC00MDk1LWEyZjQtNjhiYzYyNTk2NWJjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjEwNTM2Mzc@._V1_SX300.jpg","Ratings":[{"Source":"Internet Movie Database","Value":"6.3/10"}],"Metascore":"N/A","imdbRating":"6.3","imdbVotes":"2,929","imdbID":"tt11839500","Type":"series","totalSeasons":"2","Response":"True"}

Got it, thank you! I'll play around with switching the provider priority and see which one I like best. 

MBSki

Ok, I pushed TMDB to the top of the priority list and I now have about 5 more cast than I did before. How do I get the other 70?

Happy2Play
6 hours ago, mbarylski said:

Ok, I pushed TMDB to the top of the priority list and I now have about 5 more cast than I did before. How do I get the other 70?

Not sure as this is what Emby is currently getting from the query

12 cast

Spoiler

"cast": [
{
"adult": false,
"gender": 1,
"id": 120831,
"known_for_department": "Acting",
"name": "Annaleigh Ashford",
"original_name": "Annaleigh Ashford",
"popularity": 10.431,
"profile_path": "/AaMsrGdvvNeOzNUMUYOQlcejbfO.jpg",
"character": "Gina",
"credit_id": "5ee38ad0d20c87002330cc36",
"order": 0
},
{
"gender": 2,
"id": 111678,
"name": "Thomas Middleditch",
"original_name": "Thomas Middleditch",
"popularity": 6.514,
"profile_path": "/2c15BQ6DWSiDSBTRjvdsp8X4AAe.jpg",
"character": "Drew",
"credit_id": "5ee38ab1197de4001f9085c5",
"order": 1
},
{
"id": 588972,
"name": "Kether Donohue",
"original_name": "Kether Donohue",
"popularity": 4.59,
"profile_path": "/f1JMAIitNYTOYQCRgNtBGZYgaY1.jpg",
"character": "Gabby",
"credit_id": "5f32f833663b870035524568",
"order": 2
},
{
"id": 45418,
"name": "Darryl Stephens",
"original_name": "Darryl Stephens",
"popularity": 7.203,
"profile_path": "/ywGeMd8w0hRZR96pvsPUo1yxNen.jpg",
"character": "Gideon",
"credit_id": "61f379e7cedac400dff58d36",
"order": 4
},
{
"id": 113223,
"name": "Linda Lavin",
"original_name": "Linda Lavin",
"popularity": 2.429,
"profile_path": "/tHaiiQH5UKVA5fGbjzwe6hh1Rwc.jpg",
"character": "Norma",
"credit_id": "61f379f1e9da690045c80f3b",
"order": 5
},
{
"id": 78102,
"name": "David Anthony Higgins",
"original_name": "David Anthony Higgins",
"popularity": 6.576,
"profile_path": "/oyyXzxtHMA8LeZ5oYm8tgxhnqm2.jpg",
"character": "Jerry",
"credit_id": "61f379d65f6c4900cef57eae",
"order": 67
},
{
"id": 1210,
"name": "Héctor Elizondo",
"original_name": "Héctor Elizondo",
"popularity": 8.331,
"profile_path": "/7Mfx9xeOFKXtzVpAc1488LiHs0b.jpg",
"character": "Harry",
"credit_id": "6240a51f97a4e600875d18c0",
"order": 500
},
{
"id": 10223,
"name": "Jane Seymour",
"original_name": "Jane Seymour",
"popularity": 7.533,
"profile_path": "/jUzSFwkv4q3IFkXibg79FCZsVfz.jpg",
"character": "Bette",
"credit_id": "6240a52997a4e6005bd3b38c",
},
{
"id": 26664,
"name": "Ben Vereen",
"original_name": "Ben Vereen",
"popularity": 4.297,
"profile_path": "/aWCdsQz6tp6A8gRTpzZ7BjggObC.jpg",
"character": "Peter",
"credit_id": "6240a532d7f465008cd1b4c8",
},
{
"id": 170918,
"name": "Priscilla Lopez",
"original_name": "Priscilla Lopez",
"popularity": 4.628,
"profile_path": "/pP2RnsD2twtt7Qv8km3EVLleiGo.jpg",
"character": "Meredith",
"credit_id": "6240a53f5a991500483d0dbb",
},
{
"id": 29862,
"name": "Jim Beaver",
"original_name": "Jim Beaver",
"popularity": 8.657,
"profile_path": "/c3Cqp1XAdcyeUZKkcrdQsPwb010.jpg",
"character": "Spencer",
"credit_id": "6240a54a519bbb00476db938",
},
{
"id": 54800,
"name": "Anna Maria Horsford",
"original_name": "Anna Maria Horsford",
"popularity": 7.354,
"profile_path": "/17uU3AETKjxHMRHzEmKPrdnkEoj.jpg",
"character": "Mrs. Ludlum",
"credit_id": "6240a55a81a7fc005cedf10d",
}
]

Credits query for B Positive

Happy2Play

But a quick look at TMDB it is how someone set it up for Regular Cast.  So Website Full Cast is showing everyone but set Regular Cast shows something different.  Look like it will present current season.  So for TV I don't see a way for Everyone as they appear to restrict to Regulars.

image.thumb.png.f34a61b091424962938a35371ba73b1a.png

Edited by Happy2Play

MBSki
15 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

But a quick look at TMDB it is how someone set it up for Regular Cast.  So Website Full Cast is showing everyone but set Regular Cast shows something different.  Look like it will present current season.  So for TV I don't see a way for Everyone as they appear to restrict to Regulars.

image.thumb.png.f34a61b091424962938a35371ba73b1a.png

Ok, thank you @Happy2Play. I think I figured it out. I moved TheMovieDb up the priority for episode too, and now I see all the extra cast in JUST the episode. That's probably the best way to handle it anyways. It does show both Regular Cast and Guest Star cast in the episode, but that works for me. It would be nice if they were grouped or labelled some how. Another FR perhaps? 😅

MBSki

So, after changing the metadata provider to TheMobieDb, and getting all the cast I wanted, I discovered that my episode order is now screwed up. Well this sucks! 

@Happy2Play Is there any way to get episode list from TheTVDb, but cast from TheMovieDb?

Happy2Play
4 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

So, after changing the metadata provider to TheMobieDb, and getting all the cast I wanted, I discovered that my episode order is now screwed up. Well this sucks! 

@Happy2Play Is there any way to get episode list from TheTVDb, but cast from TheMovieDb?

To my knowledge no as it will all come from the first provider.

But have you tried Series with TMDB first and Episode with TVDB first?  Don't really know how these orders truly work when mismatched.

MBSki
3 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

To my knowledge no as it will all come from the first provider.

But have you tried Series with TMDB first and Episode with TVDB first?  Don't really know how these orders truly work when mismatched.

Hmmm, no, let me try that. I do like the cast for episode too, but having cast from TMDB at least for Series would be nice.

MBSki

Well, I switched it, but TMDB cast still hasn't populated and it's been an hour. Episodes look ok though. Maybe it won't mix them, I'm not sure. It could just be taking a really long time to update. I'll just check again tomorrow and see if it updated. If not, it could be that they can't be mixed. Although I don't know why there are 3 separate sections if they can't be mixed. 

scttwnslw

Browsing the TVDB link from an episode, it looks like there are three columns of data: actor, type, role; and Emby is pulling the first two columns, so you get name and "guest star" instead of the actor name and character name (role).

Happy2Play
9 minutes ago, scttwnslw said:

Browsing the TVDB link from an episode, it looks like there are three columns of data: actor, type, role; and Emby is pulling the first two columns, so you get name and "guest star" instead of the actor name and character name (role).

Specific example please.  But Series level has type/role, episode level usually only has guest star.

image.png.8c55136b28bf34bacdfc67fbf5da3378.png

Happy2Play
52 minutes ago, scttwnslw said:

In 4.6.7.0 with TVDB v3 api this is not possible at all.

<GuestStars>|Avaah Blackwell|Emily Coutts|Emmanuel Kabongo|Julianne Grossman|Oded Fehr|Oliver Becker|Oyin Oladejo|Patrick Kwok-Choon|Ronnie Rowe Jr.|Sara Mitich|Sonja Sohn|Stephanie Belding|Tara Rosling|</GuestStars>

In 4.7 with TVDB v4 you will get this info.

{
            "id": 65686479,
            "name": "Andorian Regulator ",
            "peopleId": 447300,
            "seriesId": 328711,
            "episodeId": 7862365,
            "type": 4,
            "sort": 0,
            "isFeatured": false,
            "url": "",
            "peopleType": "Guest Star",
            "personName": "Riley Gilchrist"
        }

But there does appear to still be a disconnect in TVDB v4 api.  As the above appears in the Series info but not the episode.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 2

MBSki

In a follow up to the use of mixed providers, it doesn't seem to work. I used TMDB for Series and TVDB for Episode, and after a full day I'm still not getting the cast from TMDB for the Series. I don't quite understand why the option is there to prioritize a different provider for Series and Episode if it's not going to honor the user selected priority. 

@Luke Is this supposed to work? Here's how I have it setup, but unfortunately, the Series priority isn't being honored.

image.png.b9868ad1cde4e7509ea46e3ae01023a5.png

It works just fine. Why does waiting a full day matter? Existing content won't be changed unless you refresh the metadata. 

Try refreshing the metadata on something. If that doesn't produce an expected result, then please follow these instructions:

Thanks.

Happy2Play
40 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

In a follow up to the use of mixed providers, it doesn't seem to work. I used TMDB for Series and TVDB for Episode, and after a full day I'm still not getting the cast from TMDB for the Series. I don't quite understand why the option is there to prioritize a different provider for Series and Episode if it's not going to honor the user selected priority. 

@Luke Is this supposed to work? Here's how I have it setup, but unfortunately, the Series priority isn't being honored.

image.png.b9868ad1cde4e7509ea46e3ae01023a5.png

What exactly is not working?  What are you expecting to see that you aren't?

MBSki

I should see the cast from TMDB when I look at series, but instead I'm seeing the cast from TVDB. I'm using All in the Family tv show as an example and when I had both set to TMDB I got 8+ for cast. Now I only see 3 cast which are from TVDB.

Happy2Play
5 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

I should see the cast from TMDB when I look at series, but instead I'm seeing the cast from TVDB. I'm using All in the Family tv show as an example and when I had both set to TMDB I got 8+ for cast. Now I only see 3 cast which are from TVDB.

You have to blame TMDB as there are only 3 REGULAR CAST on TMDB.  It does not matter what their web site shows.

image.png.27865934ad8e145e2c0e39326217fab2.png

image.png.89ff107429b0bdd6727dec6f5b1c65c8.png

And when Series set to TVDB you get 13

image.thumb.png.543121aefcd57763a816f783bd4b2d69.png

MBSki
50 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

You have to blame TMDB as there are only 3 REGULAR CAST on TMDB.  It does not matter what their web site shows.

image.png.27865934ad8e145e2c0e39326217fab2.png

image.png.89ff107429b0bdd6727dec6f5b1c65c8.png

And when Series set to TVDB you get 13

image.thumb.png.543121aefcd57763a816f783bd4b2d69.png

Interesting. When I had both set to TMDB I had 13. Don't know why. I'll switch it back to TVDB and see if I get the same result as you.