NVDEC H.265 decoding not working (but CUVID does)

ctaranto

11 hours ago, ctaranto said:

I recently updated to 4.7.5 and tried the included stable packages of ffmpeg.  Unfortunately, this didn't allow for hardware decoding on Manjaro on my system (fully updated as of today).

I then reverted back (using Diagnostic Options / FFmpeg Options) to override ffmpeg, ffprobe, and ffdetect to continue to use the Ubuntu versions.  I seems that 4.7.5 isn't honoring those overrides anymore.  Here's an excerpt from the transcoding log.  Note how the ffmpeg being used is /usr/bin (the default) and not /opt/emby-server/bin like I have set in the Diagnostic Options.

Also, when I don't override ffmpeg, I do not see any Tone Mapping options.  When I override it, I do see those options. 

I then edited /etc/conf.d/emby-server to point to the Ubuntu binaries.  This did make the transcode log change to show it using those binaries, but it now shows that "superscale_cuda" isn't supported (which it used to be before 4.7).

Update:  After sleeping on it, I figured I would update the Ubuntu ffmpeg binaries from the 4.7.5 release.  Doing this solved the problem.

Hi, I would suggest using this procedure: 

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

• Like 1

ctaranto

Thanks, Luke.

I tried, but received an error that there's a missing .sig file:

[ctaranto@thor-pc ~]$ sudo pacman -U https://mediabrowser.github.io/embytools/emby-ffmpeg-bin-2022_05_07-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
[sudo] password for ctaranto:
:: Retrieving packages...
 emby-ffmpeg-bin-2022_05_07-1-x86_64                      30.4 MiB  24.3 MiB/s 00:01 [################################################] 100%
error: failed retrieving file 'emby-ffmpeg-bin-2022_05_07-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst.sig' from mediabrowser.github.io : The requested URL returned error: 404
warning: failed to retrieve some files
[ctaranto@thor-pc ~]$

Also, is there a way to see all the possible emby ffmpeg releases?  I imagine that these will be updated at some point.

alucryd

Please try that instead:

wget https://mediabrowser.github.io/embytools/emby-ffmpeg-bin-2022_05_07-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
sudo pacman -U emby-ffmpeg-bin-2022_05_07-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
  • Like 1

ctaranto

Thanks!  Worked well.

I'm curious about the update strategy for this, as it's not a package from the Arch/Manjaro repository and won't be updated automatically.

alucryd

Great! There are several options, the best being hosting our own repositories, I've been thinking of doing so for rpms and debs as well, we'll have to discuss it internally.

• Thanks 1

ctaranto

Sounds good.

Will there be a post somewhere that I could follow to learn about updates to the package so I can manually update as needed?

35 minutes ago, alucryd said:

I think the one started by @softworkzand linked above is the one that will get updated with new releases.

Yup! Please subscribe to that topic to get notified once we have any updates!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
ctaranto

An updated ffmpeg (5.1) is needed for Emby 4.8.x.  This update is not available in the Arch repo at this time.

For those on Arch/Manjaro:

wget https://mediabrowser.github.io/embytools/emby-ffmpeg-bin-2023_06_25-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
sudo pacman -U emby-ffmpeg-bin-2023_06_25-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst

Related thread where I broke transcoding updating to 4.8, but then fixed it thanks to another user: