Cannot get M3U to work at all. Must fix within 24 hours (trial)

MarcusJ

MarcusJ

I have a Windows 10 based Emby Premier system. I am trialing an IPTV service for 24 hours but cannot get it to work on emby.

Interestingly, I was able to download IPTV Smarters Pro on my android phone and had the iptv service working fine with a complete functioning EPG within a few minutes, so I know the M3U link that the service provder gave me is fully functional. When I tried to set the service up in emby, I have not been able to get anything to play (live tv or vod), and cannot seem to even get the epg data loaded.

I started by going to Live TV Setup. Selected M3U as the TV Source Type. On the M3U page, I input the service provider's M3U link. I saved the settings and all seemed ok. The emby dashboard shows a Guide Refresh status bar as if emby is trying to download the EPG data. It has been running for over an hour now and the status bar show that it is up to 12% complete. That may or may not be abnormally slow, but the android player loaded the M3U channel list and the EPG almost instantaneously. What's also odd is that the Live TV selection is not even being displayed now on the emby Home Page.

FWIW, In the android app I was to log in by first selecting "Log-in using xtream Codes US. I was also given a username, password, and url to use on their login page. After logging in as instructed, I was able to watch live HD TV almost immediately.

I'm either doing something stupid or missing something obvious, but I have no idea what to try next. Any ideas would be helpful. I have attached a screenshot of the Channels Setup page and the emby log.

Channel Mgt Screen.jpg

embyserver.txt

Hi, I would wait for the guide refresh to finish and then reevaluate. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

• Like 1

MarcusJ

Sooo, after 3 hours of refreshing the EPG data, emby says it's 15% complete. At this pace, it will be another 17 hours before it completes and my trial will be over. Such a slow process on a box with so much more horsepower than my android phone doesn't seem reasonable. The phone did it in a matter of a few seconds.

I thought this would be the simplest and most standard way possible to implement iptv.  Is there anyone watching Live TV successfully using emby on a Windows 10 pc thru an IPTV service provider? Even one? I'd love to know how they set it up that worked.

Edited by MarcusJ

EODCrafter
1 hour ago, MarcusJ said:

Sooo, after 3 hours of refreshing the EPG data, emby says it's 15% complete. At this pace, it will be another 17 hours before it completes and my trial will be over. Such a slow process on a box with so much more horsepower than my android phone doesn't seem reasonable. The phone did it in a matter of a few seconds.

I thought this would be the simplest and most standard way possible to implement iptv.  Is there anyone watching Live TV successfully using emby on a Windows 10 pc thru an IPTV service provider? Even one? I'd love to know how they set it up that worked.

If your trying to load 100k channels, it may be a little slow but I've never seen your kind of slowness.

• Like 1

MarcusJ

Thanks for the response, EODCrafter. Yea, something is clearly broken.

Are you aware of anyone who has successfully implemented IPTV on a Windows-based emby server? I'm literally doing nothing but selecting M3U as the TV Source Type and inputting the M3U url. That's it. Nothing works. The channels are listed on the channel management page, but they all say "Not mapped to guide data". Nothing plays and no EPG data ever shows.

MarcusJ
2 minutes ago, EODCrafter said:

TiviMate is better suited for IPTV, JS.....

Maybe, but I heard TiviMate is for android and not for Windows.

EODCrafter
8 minutes ago, MarcusJ said:

Thanks for the response, EODCrafter. Yea, something is clearly broken.

Are you aware of anyone who has successfully implemented IPTV on a Windows-based emby server? I'm literally doing nothing but selecting M3U as the TV Source Type and inputting the M3U url. That's it. Nothing works. The channels are listed on the channel management page, but they all say "Not mapped to guide data". Nothing plays and no EPG data ever shows.

I use Windows 11 (not a Server Platform) and Trim the channels down to 400, but yea, it works fine, as a matter of fact, Emby is Written for Windows.

Edited by EODCrafter
  • Like 1

EODCrafter
7 minutes ago, MarcusJ said:

Maybe, but I heard TiviMate is for android and not for Windows.

Your Clients are all Window PC's?

MarcusJ

3 minutes ago, EODCrafter said:

I use Windows 11 and Trim the channels down to 400, but yea, it works fine, as a matter of fact, Emby is Written for Windows.

I had the IPTV Service Provider cut the channels down to less than 100, and it behaves the exact same way.

How did you set it up? M3U as the TV Source Type? Anything else? 

2 minutes ago, EODCrafter said:

Your Clients are all Window PC's?

I have 5 devices. 2 are Windows and 3 are android TV. I need a common app that users can use regardless of the tv they're watching.

EODCrafter

It's not really clear what your end-goal is, maybe you can explain better what you want to acheive.

EODCrafter
1 minute ago, MarcusJ said:

I had the IPTV Service Provider cut the channels down to less than 100, and it behaves the exact same way.

yea, something went wrong, Provide @Lukewith some logs.....

• Like 1

EODCrafter

My Guess is that your IPTV EPG is corrupt and failing. Typical with IPTV EPG....It Suks.

MarcusJ

This is the second IPTV service I've tried. Both have failed in the exact same way. I dumped the first one thinking it was their fault. When the second one failed, I knew it was either me or emby.

Thanks again for responding.

EODCrafter
Just now, MarcusJ said:

This is the second IPTV service I've tried. Both have failed in the exact same way. I dumped the first one thinking it was their fault. When the second one failed, I knew it was either me or emby.

Thanks again for responding.

Emby works fine with IPTV, I have used it for 6 years

EODCrafter

I do however, use my own EPG, or Emby EPG, instead of the IPTV supplied EPG.

EODCrafter
Just now, MarcusJ said:

Then the only remaining variable is me - the weakest link in the process, for sure.

yea, That's why TiviMate is more for you.....No learning curve.

MarcusJ
Just now, EODCrafter said:

I do however, use my own EPG, or Emby EPG, instead of the IPTV supplied EPG.

I tried that too, but I didn't know what "lineup" to select. I picked 2 or 3 of them and did a epg refresh and it ran for 13 hours and was at 14% complete.

EODCrafter

If you want to watch TV on a PC (ergggg) then maybe Kodi Simple IPTV Client?

EODCrafter
1 minute ago, MarcusJ said:

I tried that too, but I didn't know what "lineup" to select. I picked 2 or 3 of them and did a epg refresh and it ran for 13 hours and was at 14% complete.

Maybe you have a virus or a very weak PC, What is the Specs?

MarcusJ

I hear ya. What I don't get is why people feel that way about using a PC to watch TV. I have a great little PC that is 10x more powerful than any of my android boxes. I have that PC connected to my main TV. I can use it to watch or listen to any of my emby libraries, surf the net, do my office work, and (the plan was to) watch live tv.

MarcusJ

It's a pretty new device. Specs are a little stronger than the NUC's I looked at. I think it's got plenty of power. This should be as easy as falling off a log, but NOTHING works like that for me.