Emby at my house, remote tuner at another's for live TV?

gwbaker

gwbaker

I have looked for this answer and if I missed it, please link...

I have an HD HomeRun Flex4K at my house with an antenna on the roof for live TV.  My mother's house is MUCH closer to the broadcast towers about 20 miles from me.  I am trying to figure a way to run a tuner (maybe another HD HomeRun Flex4K) at her house and watch OTA channels she receives, but I cannot (very well at least).

Is this scenario possible?  I am not a network engineer, but given enough reading material, I can figure anything out.  My home network is rather advanced.

To clarify, I would like it to be seemless (as possible) in my current Emby Premier setup.  Not looking to run another Emby instance at my mother's house.

Edited by gwbaker

HI, yes this is possible. When you add the tuner in Emby Server, you just need to specify the direct url to the tuner at your mother's house.

That means you need to know her remote ip address, and you need to setup port forwarding on her router to her HDHR so that you can access the tuner over the internet.

gwbaker
12 minutes ago, Luke said:

HI, yes this is possible. When you add the tuner in Emby Server, you just need to specify the direct url to the tuner at your mother's house.

That means you need to know her remote ip address, and you need to setup port forwarding on her router to her HDHR so that you can access the tuner over the internet.

Thanks Luke, so is it as simple as using DNS service (since she has a dynamic IP), and forwarding the necessary ports through her router to the tuner?  I read somewhere else where a VPN was needed to do this.  I guess it changed?  Thanks for your answeres, I know your busy!