Emby goes offline on QNAP TS453D

gbenedek

gbenedek

I am running Emby on a TS453d.  I have upgraded the NAS to 16gig memory, otherwise there are no other changes to the NAS.

The issue I am having happens consistently, as in every day.  When I try to access the server, it shows as being offline.  I restart the server, everything works perfectly (i.e. I can see all my content, I can stream to various devices both locally on the LAN and remotely via WAN).  When I try to access the server 24 hours later, the server is again offline.  I restart the server, rinse and repeat.

I should mention that the very same exact thing thing happens with PLEX.  The reason I became interested in Emby is because I was experiencing the issue with PLEX.

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

gbenedek
3 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, please see the first install step listed here and let us know if this resolves it for you:

https://emby.media/qnap-server.html

Thanks.

I have enabled installation of applications without digital signatures, the application is installed on my NAS.  The problem is I have to restart it on a daily basis.

Just to reiterate, I am experiencing the same issue with Plex. 

That's strange. Do you have the NAS configured to sleep or is it always on?

gbenedek

The NAS is always on.  I have multiple apps installed (including Plex).  NONE of the other apps (except for Plex) display this behaviour.  So both content streaming apps display this behviour.

Do you have any other suggestions?

robgfaulkner

I don't know what version of QNAP OS qbenedek is running but I do know that with the latest 5.0.0.1986 apps without a valid digital signature are stopped.  And you can manually restart them, but they will be force stopped again.

[Error][App Center] Notification from your device:  XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

NAS Name: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Severity: Error
Date/Time: 2022/04/04 10:42:30

App Name: App Center
Category: App Installation
Message: [App Center] Emby Server has an invalid digital signature. The app has stopped and cannot be installed on QTS. You can remove it in the App Center.

It is happening to me and it has made Emby unusable on the QNAP.  BTW, I have a TS-453 Pro.

embyserver-63784666094.txt

Edited by robgfaulkner

gbenedek
3 hours ago, robgfaulkner said:

I don't know what version of QNAP OS qbenedek is running but I do know that with the latest 5.0.0.1986 apps without a valid digital signature are stopped.  And you can manually restart them, but they will be force stopped again.

It is happening to me and it has made Emby unusable on the QNAP.  BTW, I have a TS-453 Pro.

embyserver-63784666094.txt 331.01 kB · 1 download

I am also running version 5.0.0.1986 of the OS.

As a test, can you try removing the port mapper plugin, then restart the server and see if the issue persists? Thanks.

jpcboogie

I also want to chime in and say I'm having this issue after upgrading to firmware v5, using TS-453A. So, since February, I've been unable to use Emby; glad to see you're looking into this, but I hope you've made this a top priority since it's been an issue for about two months now.

gbenedek
1 hour ago, robgfaulkner said:

@Lukeis there going to be any support for this signing issue?  Emby will not run on QNAP without a signed app.

1 hour ago, Luke said:

We're looking into it. Thanks.

I have no problems with running EMBY and accessing content on my home LAN.  The problem I have is that it keeps going offline!! Accessing my content using Android Auto is another matter.  Frequently I cannot access my content (stream music) on the NAS, other times I can.  So far I am not at all impressed with Emby.

4 minutes ago, gbenedek said:

I have no problems with running EMBY and accessing content on my home LAN.  The problem I have is that it keeps going offline!! Accessing my content using Android Auto is another matter.  Frequently I cannot access my content (stream music) on the NAS, other times I can.  So far I am not at all impressed with Emby.

Hi, apologies for the disruption. Please try what I suggested and see if that helps. Thanks.

gbenedek
33 minutes ago, Luke said:

As a test, can you try removing the port mapper plugin, then restart the server and see if the issue persists? Thanks.

Will do and let you know

robgfaulkner

@LukeLast night I uninstalled the Port Mapper plugin and restarted the Emby server.  Streamed a few shows before bed time.   This morning woke to notification message of invalid signature and the app had been force closed.  Perhaps this new OS requires a new signature structure like various versions of Google Android require different signing mechanisms depending on version?

This was the notification from QNAP Notification System.  I can provide logs if needed.

[Error][App Center] Notification from your device: XXXXXXXXXXXXX

NAS Name: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Date/Time: 2022/04/09 07:50:06

Message: [App Center] Emby Server has an invalid digital signature. The app has stopped and cannot be installed on QTS. You can remove it in the App Center.

Edited by robgfaulkner

gbenedek
1 hour ago, robgfaulkner said:

@LukeLast night I uninstalled the Port Mapper plugin and restarted the Emby server.  Streamed a few shows before bed time.   This morning woke to notification message of invalid signature and the app had been force closed.  Perhaps this new OS requires a new signature structure like various versions of Google Android require different signing mechanisms depending on version?

This was the notification from QNAP Notification System.  I can provide logs if needed.

I went through the same process, uninstalled the plugin, restarted Emby, within three hours after restart, it has gone offline.  I am giving up on Emby.

2 hours ago, robgfaulkner said:

@robgfaulkner can you please attach the emby server log? Thanks.

gbenedek
2 hours ago, Luke said:

This is from when you uninstalled the port mapper plugin. Now that you've restarted the server after that, if another unintended shutdown occurs, please attach the server log from that period of time. Thanks !

Did you get a chance to look at the log file I posted?

On 4/9/2022 at 5:53 PM, gbenedek said:

Did you get a chance to look at the log file I posted?

Hi, yes, we are looking into it. Thanks.

For those on the beta channel, please let me know if 4.7.0.35 helps, once it is up for QNAP. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
robgfaulkner

@LukeConcerning 4.7.0.35.  The issue is the signature.  The latest update to QNAP now is doing hard signature validation.  I cannot get the qpkg to install.

image.png.09c77afcb393827fa3e58da6c8b003f2.png

Edited by robgfaulkner