Audio Passthrough

AlbertNL

AlbertNL

Hi

I have troubles with Audio pass-through on my Emby setup.

I have Emby server running (latest version), and are using Emby Android TV on a Philips Android TV. My TV setup is on Multichannel Bypass, which means it shoud bypass the audiostream directly to my Denon AV Receiver. Inside Emby TV I have configured the audio stream to Auto, which should pass-through the audio stream also in the format of the movie.

The Receiver as well as the TV are able to play-back DTS-HD MA, and AAC. But Emby won't pass-through DTS-HD and ACC formats. It doesn't playback when I turn off Audio transcoding in my account. It will only playback with Audio Transcoding on and in the Android App "Convert Unsupported Audio to Dolby Digital" is enabled.

Strange enough, I run also a DLNA server in the network for devices without Emby support, and then my setup plays the DTS-HD and ACC audio formats in the movie without problems and the receiver is showing the right audio format! So this proves to me that my setup is able to play those audio formats!

What can be the problem with this playback!

Regards
Albert

AlbertNL

Hi, it's connected with eARC HDMI. As mentioned, with another DNLA server the audio pass-through it's correctly.

AlbertNL

Hi,

Attached a Word document with my actions to test and reproduce the problem. Further I have send the log of Emby TV from the App to you (see also the Word document for time). I've also attached all log files from today for further analysis (with enabled debugging option on the server)

Regards

Edited by ebr
Removed attachments

Hi.  I believe the app is working properly.  As you proved by disabling audio transcoding on your server, the TV does not support sending either multi-channel AAC nor DTS - at least not out of Android.  The TV's internal player may support this but the Android system only reports support for DD and DD+.  Therefore, we are converting to those formats when requested or mixing down locally when not.

AlbertNL

Okay, thanks for the answer. I hoped Android TV was able to play back other formats. I'll search for more information

PS Could you please remove the log files from this post?

Regards
Albert

• 9 months later...
fredfickle

I have a Sony 2015 model and it passes through DD.5.1 from the Emby app using the native player on the TV  by spdif or arc from hdmi no problem.

I have never been able to passthrough DTS on the app using either the TV or Shield although DTS HD and True dolby HD work perfect from my blu ray player.

• 2 weeks later...
justinrh

I know my Shield has trouble with AAC 5.1.  It either downgrades to stereo or won't play at all, which then requires me to toggle on that 'convert to DD' switch.

GrimReaper
51 minutes ago, AlbertNL said:

but what do you mean with sidebuild?

Download the apk from above link and sideload it to your device.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2023 at 11:20 PM, Luke said:

Can you try updating to the latest version of the sideload build?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

We've updated our embedded video player to the latest version. Let's see if it plays better with that. Thanks !

The link points to Emby for Android, not Android TV!

I'm having a similar problem, not getting Audio passthrough to work for DTS. My setup is a Xiaomi Mi Box 4 -> Yamaha AVR. No matter the settings in Emby, it always transcodes! I'm sure its the Emby player that is at fault because it works with the VLC-app. I have tested to use VLC as an external player in Emby, but that did not work either!

Is there a beta build with the new player for Android-TV?

2 minutes ago, swehawk said:

The link points to Emby for Android, not Android TV!

I'm having a similar problem, not getting Audio passthrough to work for DTS. My setup is a Xiaomi Mi Box 4 -> Yamaha AVR. No matter the settings in Emby, it always transcodes! I'm sure its the Emby player that is at fault because it works with the VLC-app. I have tested to use VLC as an external player in Emby, but that did not work either!

Is there a beta build with the new player for Android-TV?

Hi, Emby for Android fully supports TV devices so that's why I asked you to try it out.

1 minute ago, Luke said:

Hi, Emby for Android fully supports TV devices so that's why I asked you to try it out.

Ok, I thought they were separate builds! I will try it out then!

AlbertNL
On 1/21/2023 at 3:29 PM, GrimReaper said:

Download the apk from above link and sideload it to your device.

Was not able to try it yet. I hope to do this the coming week

@Luke Hmmm..... just to be sure!  I have a Xiaomi Mi Box 4 running Android-TV 9! Are you saying that the same apk will work for Android-devices (like android phones) as well as for devices running Android-TV ??? I´m wondering because they have different download pages.

34 minutes ago, swehawk said:

@Luke Hmmm..... just to be sure!  I have a Xiaomi Mi Box 4 running Android-TV 9! Are you saying that the same apk will work for Android-devices (like android phones) as well as for devices running Android-TV ??? I´m wondering because they have different download pages.

Yes it will.

Ok, I can confirm that DTS passthrough did work with that version :) 
I had one minute to verify since I dont have Premiere, but that was enough time to check that my AVR indicated DTS audio.

Btw I didnt find any settings for DTS-passthrough, guess theyre not needed anymore?

Hope you will be able to release a new version of the app for Android-TV soon!

• Thanks 1