Transcoding DTS-HD MA 7.1, DTS-HD MA make laggy my REMUX 4K Movies

FancyNerd92

FancyNerd92

Hello, i have a lot of Blu-Ray REMUX 4K HDR10+ movies and all they have DTS-HD MA or DTS-HD MA 7.1 audio format.

My setup is:

TV: Samsung Q80A 75" (2021 Model)

Audio: Samsung Q950Α 11.1.4 Dolby Atmos (2021 Model)

Network: ASUS Mesh Network with main router RT-AX88U and hole mesh is LAN connected by CAT6a cable. The TV is LAN connected too.

So when I play the movies they are laggy with freezes and missing .srt subs eventually. What can I do? I have select the bellow transcoding options in my server:

476268035_Screenshot2022-04-02202132.thumb.jpg.71a45d39c206b6a455b6bac5fcf9a3df.jpg

My server setup is:

CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K 4.20GHz

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 OC by ASUS

Motherboard: MSI Z270-A PRO (MS-7A71)

RAM: 16GB DDR4

HDD: 2x WD Ultrastar DC HC550 18TB

I tried to convert the media but i get a faild in the midle of prossesion.

Here i have and 2 logs from different movies.

ffmpeg-remux-99f2b95f-45f8-4c6d-912d-e6577b4c5ff7_1.txt

ffmpeg-remux-56055506-e8ab-4066-b0dd-312e964df6ed_1.txt

Tell me if you need more info!

Thanks a lot!

It looks like you ran out of storage space.

Have you looked at that?

SamES

Aside from the storage space issue,  there  are lots of comments about this same issue in this forum. 

DTS is not supported in these models, the audio must be converted. The issues you are experiencing are common when converting the audio of high bitrate 4K hevc files.   The same issue occurs on LG, it is not unique to Samsung. It’s not related to server, gpu or network performance. The TV does not have a high performance cpu and cannot request and process these formats when delivered in fragments via hls streaming methods. 

The recommended action is to play an alternate track that is supported such as AC3. You will lose nothing from a quality perspective as that is what the server is trying to convert to anyway. 

if it doesn’t have an  AC3 track then it is easy to add one using ffmpeg. You should be able to find a reference in here on how to add one, or I can find the link for you later

• Like 1

FrostByte

I always have a compatible audio track when using Emby on the Samsung.  I get the same thing converting HD audio on mine and have seen several other posts saying the same.   Usually what happens that I will get a spinning circle and a pause while it buffers a chunk and then it plays for a while before it repeats the cycle over.

siddhartha posted a ffmpeg script that will add a DD+ track if needed.

• Like 1

FancyNerd92
15 hours ago, cayars said:

It looks like you ran out of storage space.

Have you looked at that?

What deposit of memory must have to working properly the transcoding? I have almost 1TB free.

FancyNerd92
14 hours ago, SamES said:

Aside from the storage space issue,  there  are lots of comments about this same issue in this forum. 

DTS is not supported in these models, the audio must be converted. The issues you are experiencing are common when converting the audio of high bitrate 4K hevc files.   The same issue occurs on LG, it is not unique to Samsung. It’s not related to server, gpu or network performance. The TV does not have a high performance cpu and cannot request and process these formats when delivered in fragments via hls streaming methods. 

The recommended action is to play an alternate track that is supported such as AC3. You will lose nothing from a quality perspective as that is what the server is trying to convert to anyway. 

if it doesn’t have an  AC3 track then it is easy to add one using ffmpeg. You should be able to find a reference in here on how to add one, or I can find the link for you later

I know how to add an other audio in MKV files, but I don’t know how can covert the DTS-MA Stereo and DTS-MA 7.1 to another codec with ffmpg. But after all I have a Dolby Atmos 1.200€ soundbar the best on the market and I will play AC-3? What’s the point? What is the best audio codec that I can convert for my equipment? 

FrostByte
2 hours ago, FancyNerd92 said:

I know how to add an other audio in MKV files, but I don’t know how can covert the DTS-MA Stereo and DTS-MA 7.1 to another codec with ffmpg. But after all I have a Dolby Atmos 1.200€ soundbar the best on the market and I will play AC-3? What’s the point? What is the best audio codec that I can convert for my equipment? 

Your TV doesn't support TrueHD or DTS so Emby has to convert these audio codecs to something your TV does support in order for you to hear any audio.  That is the downfall of using an app which runs on your TV.

If you look toward the back of your user's manual you will see a chart of what your TV does support like the one in the link below.

2021 TV Video Specifications | Samsung Developers

As you can see not only is DTS not in the chart of supported audio formats, but there is also a huge comment to "make sure other audio tracks can be selected" if using DTS

In my opinion DD+ (at 1536 kbps) is the best audio codec in that chart which is why I posted a link to a script someone created earlier as a second audio track.  It's a whole lot better than AC3 at 384 kbps which you're getting now on the fly

However, if you really want to get the most out of your current TV and soundbar you may want to look at something like a nVidia Shield which is what I use in order to get HD audio like TrueHD Atmos and DTS:X

My setup

nVidia Shield >>> HDMI IN >>> Samsung soundbar >>> eARC/ARC >>> Samsung TV

Edited by FrostByte

FancyNerd92

Why Emby server have transcoding hardware acceleration only for image and not for audio? Because if i use my CPU+GPU power i can transcode everything... I have hundreds of Blu-Ray movies already and the prosses is painfull for all these stuff... Even the script is kind of buggy... but after all it's for new movies and not for that already you have. Is there a faster or bulkier way to do this or only the process [mkvtoolnix-> out sound-> transcode-> in sound -> close mkv] ?

Just for curiocity do anyone knows why DTS is out of TV devices' industry? Because I read about Sasmung for example that they supported until 2017 TV models and from 2018 until now they stoped? DTS is oldie? Is buggy? why? and after all if the TV manufactors they stoped using it why they kept it in the Blu-Ray industry as main and only audio format?

FrostByte

My guess is that LG and Samsung dropped DTS on their TVs due to licensing fees.  The TV itself supports most audio formats found in broadcast and streaming services, and if you want to watch UHD movies then they want you to buy a soundbar which supports UHD movie audio formats and has additional audio channels (most TVs still only have stereo) plus a UHD player. 

TVs aren't meant to play movies ripped from UHD which is just about the only place you will find DTS now.  They would sell a lot less soundbars and UHD players if they included DTS.  That is my theory.

Reasons:

1. Sell more soundbars
  2. Sell more UHD players
  3. Save money on license fees

FancyNerd92
19 hours ago, FrostByte said:

I always have a compatible audio track when using Emby on the Samsung.  I get the same thing converting HD audio on mine and have seen several other posts saying the same.   Usually what happens that I will get a spinning circle and a pause while it buffers a chunk and then it plays for a while before it repeats the cycle over.

siddhartha posted a ffmpeg script that will add a DD+ track if needed.

I did eveythink said siddhartha and i'm getting this error. Any ideas?

360300050_Screenshot2022-04-04001841.jpg.15a22b95debc84201f7b0078d3214269.jpg

SamES

Try this link for a single file, it’s for AC3 so it might need a slight tweak for EAC3

This will do multiple files if you put it in a batch file 

SamES
3 minutes ago, FancyNerd92 said:

Did you read the referenced Microsoft link in the error message?

• Like 1

FrostByte
6 minutes ago, FancyNerd92 said:

Ya, the other script is using PowerShell which you didn't give yourself permissions to do

• Like 1

FancyNerd92
10 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

Ya, the other script is using PowerShell which you didn't give yourself permissions to do

Yes it's about PowerSheel, what can I do? The script is it work or is dead nowdays?

16 minutes ago, SamES said:

Try this link for a single file, it’s for AC3 so it might need a slight tweak for EAC3

This will do multiple files if you put it in a batch file 

Yes prefer EAC3 but I don't know how to modify scripts. Is there anything ready or any other idea? 

FancyNerd92
1 minute ago, FrostByte said:

Or

Start PS

Set-ExecutionPolicy -Scope CurrentUser

then type "ByPass"

Where exactly? 

$file=$args[0]
$path = gci $file | % {$_.DirectoryName}
$basename = gci $file | % {$_.BaseName}

Set-Location -Path $PSScriptRoot

$probe=(.\ffprobe.exe "$file" 2>&1)

$substream = ($probe | .\grep.exe -E "Subtitle: pgs" | .\sed.exe -E 's/.*(0:[0-9]+).*/-map -0:\1/')
$acstream = ($probe | .\grep.exe -E "Audio: (truehd|dts|flac)" | .\sed.exe -E 's/.*0:([0-9]+).*/-c:\1 eac3 -ac:\1 6 -b:\1 1536k/')

iex ".\ffmpeg.exe -i $file -map 0$substream -c:a copy $acstream -c:v copy -c:s copy -f matroska temp.mkv"
mv temp.mkv ($path + '\' + $basename + '.eac3.mkv')

FrostByte

Do you see PowerShell in your apps?

Right click on PowerShell in your apps and choose Run as administrator 

• Like 1

FrostByte

If you prefer this is how you would do it in ffmpeg.  Then you can use @rbjtech script from SamES post above on how to make a batch with FOR loop to do multiple files.

ffmpeg.exe -i input.mkv -map 0:v -map 0:a:0 -map 0:a -map 0:s? -c:v copy -c:s copy -c:a copy -c:a:0 eac3 -ab 1536k -disposition:a:0 default -disposition:a:1 0 output.mkv

Would be a lot easier I think than messing with PS

FrostByte
2 hours ago, FancyNerd92 said:

Yes but I will get AC3 with low quality of audio and I want at least... after all E-AC-3.

I modified the ffmpeg line I posted above and changed it to output eac3 at 1536k.  Try it out on a movie and see what you get. It worked for me  

• Agree 1

rbjtech

Your sound bar DOES support all the DTS Codecs - but as @FrostByte says in his post above (Link),  the issue is your TV (the 'SOURCE') does not - and thus it is not passing them though.  Even if it did and it had eARC - it would be very unlikely to passthrough HD Audio to the soundbar - TrueHD or DTS-HD/X from a TV Application (ie Emby for Samsung)  

The best solution if you want to play 4K with native HD Audio, is to get an Nvidia Shield Pro - and plug it directly into one of the HDMI 'In' ports on the Q950A.  Plug the HDMI 'Out' into one of your HDMI 'In' on your TV.   Load Emby for Android TV onto the Shield.  You will then be able to direct play 4K HDR plus ALL the native HD Audio tracks without issue.  (eARC will not be required, as you are going direct).  You are actually passing the VIDEO from the Shield through the soundbar to the TV.   The only thing missing will be Dolby Vision, but that is a TV limitation, not the Shield.  Note the Shield does not support HDR10+ so be wary of that.

Image from RTINGS review of the Q950A (External Link)

image.png.c257d9a6711da9cdda1f45261b974cbc.pngImage fro

Edited by rbjtech

FancyNerd92
9 hours ago, FrostByte said:

I modified the ffmpeg line I posted above and changed it to output eac3 at 1536k.  Try it out on a movie and see what you get. It worked for me  

How can i use the script? On .txt and after that renamed .bat and drag & drop the movie on it?