Can't get rid of obsolete Emby Server

dcruff

dcruff

I have migrated all of my Emby content to a new server using Unraid.  It's working fairly well (except for a few Unraid Server issues), but I left up my old Windows server until I had the new server running.  I had to set up a different port on my network to get them both to work, and give them different names. but now Unraid is up and I have pulled the plug on the old Windows server.

My problem now is that when some of my users try to log into my server, they see the new server as well as the old server.  Even when I try to listen to music my Unraid Emby Server in my car using Android-Auto, it asks me which server I want to connect to.

How can I get rid of the old Emby server once and fo rall?

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, dcruff said:

I have migrated all of my Emby content to a new server using Unraid.  It's working fairly well (except for a few Unraid Server issues), but I left up my old Windows server until I had the new server running.  I had to set up a different port on my network to get them both to work, and give them different names. but now Unraid is up and I have pulled the plug on the old Windows server.

My problem now is that when some of my users try to log into my server, they see the new server as well as the old server.  Even when I try to listen to music my Unraid Emby Server in my car using Android-Auto, it asks me which server I want to connect to.

How can I get rid of the old Emby server once and for all?

May have to manually delete the old server.  Should be an option on the Select Server screen to remove said server, will be a three dot menu or press and hold pop up menu on the server card.

How did you migrate everything?  There is a device.txt file that maintains the serverid so if you copied from one to the other both servers would have the same ids.

dcruff
7 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

May have to manually delete the old server.  Should be an option on the Select Server screen to remove said server, will be a three dot menu or press and hold pop up menu on the server card.

How did you migrate everything?  There is a device.txt file that maintains the serverid so if you copied from one to the other both servers would have the same ids.

It wasn't really a migrate, except for the media.  It was a fresh install and then copying all media files (4,000+ titles), and rescanning everything to get all of the meta data, then massaging the data for a few weeks to weed out the errors.

Now, when I log into app.emby.media, I only see my new server, but when I go into my car and plug in my phone, select Emby on Android Auto, and select Browse for my music - I am presented with 2 different servers.  The new server on Unraid and my obsolete server which is unplugged and disconnected.  Also, other people have those two selections when signing on to Emby.

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, dcruff said:

It wasn't really a migrate, except for the media.  It was a fresh install and then copying all media files (4,000+ titles), and rescanning everything to get all of the meta data, then massaging the data for a few weeks to weed out the errors.

Now, when I log into app.emby.media, I only see my new server, but when I go into my car and plug in my phone, select Emby on Android Auto, and select Browse for my music - I am presented with 2 different servers.  The new server on Unraid and my obsolete server which is unplugged and disconnected.  Also, other people have those two selections when signing on to Emby.

Okay pretty sure everyone will have to manually remove previous server from the Select Server menu, but @Lukewill have to comment on whether the offline server will automatically remove itself on a Connect update.

dcruff
5 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Okay pretty sure everyone will have to manually remove previous server from the Select Server menu, but @Lukewill have to comment on whether the offline server will automatically remove itself on a Connect update.

And yes, that was one of the first things that I did.  I removed the old server from the 'Select Server menu - which works for me on my computer but not in other cases.

Edited by dcruff

dcruff

More information:

I just checked my Roku and Apple TV Emby clients on my home network.

With the Roku, only my new Unraid server is listed - as appropriate.

With the Apple TV, I actually see 3 servers listed when I choose Change Server - One that I had set up several years ago (never in actual operation ), my old Windows Emby server (unplugged), and my new Unraid server.

Edited by dcruff

13 hours ago, dcruff said:

And yes, that was one of the first things that I did.  I removed the old server from the 'Select Server menu - which works for me on my computer but not in other cases.

Hi, it works fine in all cases, it's just that you may have to do it in every single app.

dcruff
5 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, it works fine in all cases, it's just that you may have to do it in every single app.

OK.  Tried it on the AppleTV and the extraneous servers remain.  Tried resetting the Apple TV to see if they were still there.  No dice.  Next, I logged in to connect to see if that made a difference.  The extra servers still remain - even after resetting the AppleTV again.

Actually, I did see where to delete the extraneous server on my android client and I believe that it worked there.

Edited by dcruff

10 minutes ago, dcruff said:

OK.  Tried it on the AppleTV and the extraneous servers remain.  Tried resetting the Apple TV to see if they were still there.  No dice.  Next, I logged in to connect to see if that made a difference.  The extra servers still remain - even after resetting the AppleTV again.

Actually, I did see where to delete the extraneous server on my android client and I believe that it worked there.

HI, the server selection screen has an option to delete old servers. The fact that they remain is expected - you uninstalled your server from Synology. Your Apple TV doesn't know that, and that's why the app still shows the old one, but it is easily removed. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

dcruff
41 minutes ago, Luke said:

HI, the server selection screen has an option to delete old servers. The fact that they remain is expected - you uninstalled your server from Synology. Your Apple TV doesn't know that, and that's why the app still shows the old one, but it is easily removed. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

I'm not sure that I understood your answer.  It looks like it should be 'easily removed' and I have selected that option about 10 times, yet it still appears.  I'm not sure what Synology has to do with it.  Isn't Synology a NAS?  I was not using a Synology NAS, but I did have a Thecus NAS 8 years ago while using Media Center.

Happy2Play

Are you saying you have deleted the server per device/app and it still appears?  Deleting from one client will not remove from all clients.

dcruff
2 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Are you saying you have deleted the server per device/app and it still appears?  Deleting from one client will not remove from all clients.

Yes.  I deleted from Android, and it worked - old server gone.

I deleted from Roku, and it worked - old server gone

I attempted to delete from AppleTV over and over again and there are still 2 obsolete servers listed - I can't get rid of it on the AppleTV

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
Derek Webb

Similar issue. Only mine is in Android auto. On my phone, and computer, no problems, I only see one server. In the car it shows two. I have tried to find a way to delete the one that does not exist, but it keeps showing up and just has no media. So if I ask my car to play something it always looks at the wrong server and can't find anything. 

2 minutes ago, Derek Webb said:

Similar issue. Only mine is in Android auto. On my phone, and computer, no problems, I only see one server. In the car it shows two. I have tried to find a way to delete the one that does not exist, but it keeps showing up and just has no media. So if I ask my car to play something it always looks at the wrong server and can't find anything. 

Hi, you can delete servers from the server selection screen in the app when you are first signing in.

• 1 year later...
T3Knical5urg32

I am having the exact same issue. On android mobile app when I try to delete the old server it persists. If I try to delete my current server another field pops up asking to confirm. On the old server it just goes back to the server selection screen with nothing being deleted. This issue has still not been resolved.

On 4/22/2024 at 6:10 PM, T3Knical5urg32 said:

I am having the exact same issue. On android mobile app when I try to delete the old server it persists. If I try to delete my current server another field pops up asking to confirm. On the old server it just goes back to the server selection screen with nothing being deleted. This issue has still not been resolved.

HI, what version of the app are you running?