Easy way to move EMBY Server to a new Windows Machine?

cybrsage
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

cybrsage

I am combining my gaming and media PCs into one machine and therefor need to move the server from the old machine to the new machine.  My new TV can play EMBY via an App, so what better time to clean up the living room than now?  Both machines are Windows 10.

So, is there an easy way to move the EMBY server from the old machine to the new machine?  

Edited by cybrsage

• Solution
Happy2Play

Only issues will be your library paths, but just copy C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata from one Emby install to the other.

Or if you use the Server Configuration Backup plugin you can restore configs/user/userdata to the new server.

Then remember to update router port forwarding if you have setup remote access.

• Like 1

cybrsage
1 hour ago, Happy2Play said:

Only issues will be your library paths, but just copy C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata from one Emby install to the other.

Or if you use the Server Configuration Backup plugin you can restore configs/user/userdata to the new server.

The backup tool sounds like the best plan, but I will also copy the emby data as a backup plan.  :)

Thank you SOO much!

• 7 months later...
pianoman730
On 3/30/2022 at 6:44 PM, Happy2Play said:

What is that path on a Linux machine?

Happy2Play
9 minutes ago, pianoman730 said:

What is that path on a Linux machine?

It varies but is shown in the top section of a server log or via dashboard three dot menu, server info.

pianoman730
1 minute ago, Happy2Play said:

It varies but is shown in the top section of a server log or via dashboard three dot menu, server info.

Sooo my motherboard died on my computer hosting my server, so I don't have access anymore. I'm getting a USB to SATA cable so I can pull my files off, but I don't really know where to look for the server files to put them on my other computer.

Happy2Play

@pianoman730 What exact platform do you have as I believe they all vary for path?

Edited by Happy2Play

Happy2Play
7 minutes ago, pianoman730 said:

I was on Ubuntu server 18 or 20 I think. 

Not a platform user but from some else's log it should be something like this

Data path: /var/lib/emby

pianoman730
9 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Not a platform user but from some else's log it should be something like this

Data path: /var/lib/emby

Ok I'll check it out. And I should be able to move that folder over and have the same server setup, right? 

Happy2Play
9 minutes ago, pianoman730 said:

Ok I'll check it out. And I should be able to move that folder over and have the same server setup, right? 

Theoretically yes, may have to verify all permissions.

• 2 months later...
thegrunge

De mon coté j'ai migré de linux a linux en copiant les dossiers dans /var/lib/emby

Stopper le serveur avant de ziper le dossier original

sudo systemctl stop emby-server

Sur la nouvelle machine, j'install emby puis je fais

sudo systemctl stop emby-server

Ensuite je fait sudo nautilus puis je vais chercher les dossiers copier du vieux serveur et je les met dans /var/lib/emby du nouveau serveur en prenant soin d'effacer les dossiers déjà présent. Ensuite je fais 

sudo chown -R emby:emby /var/lib/emby/

sudo systemctl start emby-server

sudo systemctl enable emby-server

Pour migrer vers windows c'est un peu le même principe il faut stopper emby et remplacer les dossiers tout simplement. Par contre je ne conseil pas de migrer de linux à window, car le chemin des bibliothèques n'est pas le même alors que pour tout les autres system oui. Dans le cas ou le contenu est sur google drive ça devient problèmatique avec le quota.

Je préfère cette méthode plutot que d'utiliser le plugin backup de emby, car avec ce plugin on doit scanner toute les bibliothèques ce qui n'est vraiment pas rapide.

Edited by thegrunge
  • Thanks 1

• 10 months later...
mrmarkfr

I tried the backup and restore, and ran into an issue where it looked like I was going to have to re-enroll all remote users (unless I missed something).  I then tried the copy the program data method, and it worked flawlessly, including taking on the new name of the new server.

• Thanks 1