video stutters randomly with MP4

justinrh

justinrh

Sent player and app logs at 2:03pm CST, user home, Braveheart.mp4.

On my Shields, playing a low-bitrate, direct play MP4 (tried only one so far) I see the video have a 1-2 second long stutter, kind of like how some movies have a dramatic slow motion scene, then it goes back to smooth.  It happens randomly but usually around the same time during each playback.

Audio will also drop out for a half-second at different times (NOT the same time as the stutter) - this is like what happens when resuming play of TS files, but in case of this movie I never stop or FF or RW.

This does not happen in the web app or VLC on the desktop.

embyserver.txt

Hi.  There is nothing in the app log indicating any issue.  Did the problem occur right before you sent the log?

justinrh
9 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  There is nothing in the app log indicating any issue.  Did the problem occur right before you sent the log?

Yes, it happened a few times before I sent the log.

Did you see two logs?

13 hours ago, justinrh said:

Did you see two logs?

I do now...  In your second log, there is an error with something in the audio track.  Exo recovers from it but that is probably the source of what you are seeing.  How was this item created?

justinrh
10 hours ago, ebr said:

error with something in the audio track.  Exo recovers from it but that is probably the source of what you are seeing

You are saying the audio track is causing the video issue?

It was ripped from a DVD.

14 hours ago, justinrh said:

You are saying the audio track is causing the video issue?

Yes.  The video timing is based on the audio.

14 hours ago, justinrh said:

It was ripped from a DVD

With what?  Can you try re-ripping it?

justinrh

Hold up a sec, we need to answer why "This does not happen in the web app or VLC on the desktop".

No, I can't re-rip.

13 hours ago, justinrh said:

Hold up a sec, we need to answer why "This does not happen in the web app or VLC on the desktop"

Because different players have different tolerances for "bad" media and Exo (Google's player on Android) has a fairly low tolerance for that.  Their stance is - GIGO - fix the source.  When possible, we try to make mods to make it more tolerant but this is not always practical and/or we haven't gotten to all situations.

Thanks for the feedback. That is good news for the TV app because ultimately it will get the same updates to the video player.

• Like 1