Weird problem with library continually resetting cover images

ClemFandango
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

ClemFandango

I've got all of my media on my Synology DS118 organised into folders, one of which is called "Current Television" which is for everything that's, well, "Current" :)

I was randomly going through the library and updating the primary cover images for some of the shows for no real reason, but a few days after I did that I noticed that the images had reset to the original ones.

I tried updating some of them again and the same thing happened so I tried removing the library completely and re-adding it and the same thing happened again.

I've even tried manually downloading the cover images from The TVDB, deleting the primary image and manually uploading the new image and still it reverts back to the original after a few hours.

The library "Current Television" isn't set to automatically refresh either.

What makes this strange is that i've got a separate library called simply "Television" where I've also manually updated some of the cover images and this has been fine - same with my "Movies" library as well.   It's just "Current Television" that seems to have the problem.

I was randomly going through the library and updating the primary cover images for some of the shows for no real reason, but a few days after I did that I noticed that the images had reset to the original ones.

HI there, can you please show us a specific example? Thanks.

ClemFandango

That probably would have helped :).   Ok, here's a snapshot of the "Current TV" page and I'll use "Blue Bloods" as the main example.   The attachment at the top has the "default" image.

The one underneath is what I've changed the cover to.

I've just done it again be using the magnifying glass search function on the "Primary" image and selected the new one.   I can almost guarantee that in a few hours, it'll have reverted to the original image at the top.

before.jpg

after.jpg

Edited by ClemFandango

Happy2Play

My guess would be a permissions issue.  You have one image with media and the update can't be saved with media and eventually gets reset back to image with media.

Please post a server log after changing a image.

ClemFandango
16 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

My guess would be a permissions issue.  You have one image with media and the update can't be saved with media and eventually gets reset back to image with media.

Please post a server log after changing a image.

That would certainly make sense if it was happening in other libraries, but it isn't.

ClemFandango

As I suspected, the image has now reverted to the original one again.

I logged in to the NAS using Putty and went to check the permissions on the 'Current Television' folder compared to the 'Television' folder and they're identical.

Happy2Play

Can you provide a server log for you replacing a image.

Do you save images with media?  If so do you see the image being replaced in media folder?

ClemFandango
11 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Can you provide a server log for you replacing a image.

Do you save images with media?  If so do you see the image being replaced in media folder?

Sorry for the delay, I turned on debug logging and replaced the image again so i've attached the (hopefully correct) log file.

I checked the setup for the library, and "Save Artwork into media folders" is unchecked, but then it's also unchecked for the "Television" library I have which doesn't have this issue.   Both libraries also have 'download images in advance' checked as well with neither auto-updating.

embyserver.txt

Edited by ClemFandango

Happy2Play
27 minutes ago, ClemFandango said:

Sorry for the delay, I turned on debug logging and replaced the image again so i've attached the (hopefully correct) log file.

I checked the setup for the library, and "Save Artwork into media folders" is unchecked, but then it's also unchecked for the "Television" library I have which doesn't have this issue.   Both libraries also have 'download images in advance' checked as well with neither auto-updating.

embyserver.txt 1.07 MB · 0 downloads

Did this image actually get deleted?  As you see one is saved to /metadata and original supposedly gets deleted from with media.

2022-03-26 21:21:48.333 Info HttpClient: GET https://www.thetvdb.com/banners/posters/5ba9678b8729a.jpg
2022-03-26 21:21:48.603 Debug ProviderManager: Saving image to /var/packages/EmbyServer/var/metadata/library/5a/5a3d7cb58414b20f9492d9d86d41d37e/poster.jpg
2022-03-26 21:21:48.680 Info ProviderManager: Deleting previous image /volume1/video/Current Television/Blue Bloods/poster.jpg

But am guessing that is actually not happening and gets restored later.

ClemFandango
10 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Did this image actually get deleted?  As you see one is saved to /metadata and original supposedly gets deleted from with media.

2022-03-26 21:21:48.333 Info HttpClient: GET https://www.thetvdb.com/banners/posters/5ba9678b8729a.jpg
2022-03-26 21:21:48.603 Debug ProviderManager: Saving image to /var/packages/EmbyServer/var/metadata/library/5a/5a3d7cb58414b20f9492d9d86d41d37e/poster.jpg
2022-03-26 21:21:48.680 Info ProviderManager: Deleting previous image /volume1/video/Current Television/Blue Bloods/poster.jpg

But am guessing that is actually not happening and gets restored later.

Now I'm signed in via Putty at the moment and I'm looking directly at the "Blue Bloods" folder and the file "poster.jpg" is indeed gone.   I've attached a screengrab as proof.

terminal.jpg

Happy2Play

That is the only way what you are describing can happen that I know of.  If the original image is gone then there is no way for it to revert back.

ClemFandango

I'll wait until tomorrow to see if it reverts back again and I'll check that folder to see if it's re-appeared and let you know.

Happy2Play
5 minutes ago, ClemFandango said:

I'll wait until tomorrow to see if it reverts back again and I'll check that folder to see if it's re-appeared and let you know.

If it does revert you should see this being deleted also

/var/packages/EmbyServer/var/metadata/library/5a/5a3d7cb58414b20f9492d9d86d41d37e/poster.jpg

ClemFandango

It's baaaaack .. lol

Now the interesting thing is that the file at 

/var/packages/EmbyServer/var/metadata/library/5a/5a3d7cb58414b20f9492d9d86d41d37e/poster.jpg

is still there and is actually still the new image i changed it to.    I'm wondering if there's an issue with the Sonarr package though instead of Emby ?

My "Current Television" library is exclusively used by Sonarr, which is what creates the user (and group) "sc-nzbdrone"

This could potentially explain why it's only happening in this library and not the others I suppose.

poster.jpg

Edited by ClemFandango

ClemFandango

I've just deleted and re-added Blue Bloods in Sonarr, which will have also fully removed those folders from the NAS as well.  I'll have to grab an episode before Emby will see it again so i'll do that and change the image again to see what happens.

#edit

Although saying that, I did fully remove and re-add the entire "Current Television" library yesterday and the problem still happened. The only difference will be that I probably didn't actually physically remove any of the actual content so we'll see if it makes a difference.

Edited by ClemFandango

• Solution
Happy2Play

Yes you either need to disable options in Sonarr or have Emby save with media as they are competing with each other and local/images with media will always take priority.

Same/Similar discussion here not that we know Sonarr is involved.

Question about Sonarr replacing images - MacOS - Emby Community

Edited by Happy2Play
added previous discussion topic

ClemFandango

I read that other thread and it's the kind that generally ticks me off :)

I've had many situations over the years where I've trawled the depths of google and the internet for help only to find a thread that ends with "Oh it's ok, I fixed it" and that's it.   So "It's ok, it was an issue with Sonarr" really doesn't help ..

As it stands at the moment, when I replaced the image yesterday, I ticked "Save Artwork into Media Folders" after that and, inevitably, the image was once again replaced with the default.  I then changed it back again and, at the moment, it hasn't yet reverted.

I won't get a chance to check it again until much later today so I'll do that and see where I stand.

On 3/28/2022 at 2:33 AM, ClemFandango said:

I read that other thread and it's the kind that generally ticks me off :)

I've had many situations over the years where I've trawled the depths of google and the internet for help only to find a thread that ends with "Oh it's ok, I fixed it" and that's it.   So "It's ok, it was an issue with Sonarr" really doesn't help ..

As it stands at the moment, when I replaced the image yesterday, I ticked "Save Artwork into Media Folders" after that and, inevitably, the image was once again replaced with the default.  I then changed it back again and, at the moment, it hasn't yet reverted.

I won't get a chance to check it again until much later today so I'll do that and see where I stand.

Did you see happy2play2's note above about Sonarr saving images?

ClemFandango
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Did you see happy2play2's note above about Sonarr saving images?

Sorry for the late response as it's been mad since yesterday.   I did see that post and the thread that was linked to was no use, but, I think we can draw a line under this now as the 'save images to folder' option does seem to have worked.

I've been jumping in and out of the server over the past day and the Blue Bloods image, for one, is still the new one I changed it to and it hasn't reverted back.   I changed a few more yesterday and they've also stayed put as well so I'm going to mark Happy's post as the solution. 

Appreciate all the help :)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ClemFandango said:

Sorry for the late response as it's been mad since yesterday.   I did see that post and the thread that was linked to was no use, but, I think we can draw a line under this now as the 'save images to folder' option does seem to have worked.

I've been jumping in and out of the server over the past day and the Blue Bloods image, for one, is still the new one I changed it to and it hasn't reverted back.   I changed a few more yesterday and they've also stayed put as well so I'm going to mark Happy's post as the solution. 

Appreciate all the help :)

Thanks for the feedback !