Emby Server NAS vs Shield?

Dax99

Hi I have my Emby Server on my Synology DS718. Also I have a Shield.

Which one is better for that? I mean the Shield has a better CPU? So should I still use my NAS or switch to my Shield?

I want to use the Shield and store the Data on an external USB Drive on the Shield.

So If the Shield would be good/fast enough, I don't need the Synology anymore. But I don't know if it's a good idea?

Hi.  It will probably depend on how high bitrate your content is and if it is all direct-playable.  The area of the Shield that usually creates a bottleneck is I/O as it isn't really designed as a server device.  Its CPU and GPU are quite capable but it is moving all those bits around that can sometimes be a problem.

so my data is on a 2TB USB 3.0 Drive and connected to the Shield. (1.5 GB in use).

But now the emby App is 3.5GB big on my Emby internal Storage (now 2GB free storage only on Shield TV). 

I think thats too much if i plan to copy more on my HDD or will buy a 4 TB USB Drive.

I could setup this USB Drive as an internal drive, but would this be a good Idea? I think then I have to format this HDD and have to setup agin.

On 3/24/2022 at 12:31 PM, Dax99 said:

so my data is on a 2TB USB 3.0 Drive and connected to the Shield. (1.5 GB in use).

But now the emby App is 3.5GB big on my Emby internal Storage (now 2GB free storage only on Shield TV). 

I think thats too much if i plan to copy more on my HDD or will buy a 4 TB USB Drive.

I could setup this USB Drive as an internal drive, but would this be a good Idea? I think then I have to format this HDD and have to setup agin.

@cayars have you tried this before?

No, I've never used local media with mine but always over the network since my media is available that way and I already have it mounted for direct access.

• Like 1

rbjtech
On 26/03/2022 at 23:25, Luke said:

@cayars have you tried this before?

Isn't this simply because the OP has not selected to store the metadata with the media - thus it is using up all the internal storage on the Shield ?

16 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Isn't this simply because the OP has not selected to store the metadata with the media - thus it is using up all the internal storage on the Shield ?

That would be one way to reduce the data used by emby server on the Shield, yes.

I gave up. Live TV works much more reliably on the Synology than on the Shield. On the Shield there was often the message that streaming is not possible. Scanning the library on the Shield takes much longer than on the Synology.

8 hours ago, Dax99 said:

I gave up. Live TV works much more reliably on the Synology than on the Shield. On the Shield there was often the message that streaming is not possible. Scanning the library on the Shield takes much longer than on the Synology.

Yeah, I'm not surprised.  The Shield would make a fine server for light-duty use or as a small, encapsulated, portable Emby system but the device just isn't designed as a full-blown server.  Of course, a lot of NAS devices aren't either but they are designed for high I/O which is often the major bottleneck.

On 3/30/2022 at 11:54 PM, Dax99 said:

hi @Dax99 can we please look at an example of where you had a problem?

We might be able to offer some advice on how to improve it. Thanks !

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
Azzuni

Is the jury out on this? I have an Asustor NAS and a Nvidia Shield that I am not sure which one should be my server. The Shield gets its Emby libraries from the NAS, and for the one device I tried it on works fine. I want to know which way to go before expanding my usage to different devices.

GrimReaper
6 minutes ago, Azzuni said:

AS5304T

I'd go for NAS-only setup in that case, you'll get comparable levels of performance while avoiding I/O bottlenecks. Either way, I hope your transcoding requirements ain't too high as you'd be coming somewhat short in both cases. 

Azzuni
Just now, GrimReaper said:

I'd go for NAS-only setup in that case, you'll get comparable levels of performance while avoiding I/O bottlenecks. Either way, I hope your transcoding requirements ain't too high as you'd be coming somewhat short in both cases. 

Thanks!

johnrobsonuk

Good Question

I use a nvida shield as my server and have an external hard drive connected.

I send files to it from my PC, but 80 gigs 4k rips are very slow to transfer over.

I have never used a nas before. Is it easy to set up.

How easy is it to transfer files from my PC to it I presume its networked or do I just connect the nas to my nvidia shield via USB?

Again am new to all this but wanting best performance for my 4k rips.

Azzuni

I can answer to the setup of the NAS, but not performance comparison.

I had the same setup as you, I had a TB SSD connected to my shield, and it worked fine, but scaleability was bad. Meaning that I had no way of adding more media unless I  got a bigger hard drive.

So then I bought an Asustor NAS storage that can fit up to 4 hard drives. I connected it to my router via ethernet cable capable of 2.5GB/s data transfers.

Mow once I set that up I was able to mount it on the Shield using the storage settings. So, HDD connected to the router via ethernet, not connected physically to the Shield.

Ince I had that set up I pointed my library on Emby to the /storage/NAS directory. It worked well for me, but I am planning to use this across multiple devices and users, thus I was not sure which will give me better scalability. 

johnrobsonuk

I tried this with one of the WD cloud hard drives, but transferring my 4Ks to it and was super slow and if I did this, it slowed the network.

So I scrapped that hard drive that I had connected to the router.

But the new hard drive connected to the shield works. Itsts easily accessed network.

I am Playing 80 gig 4k rips from it on Nvidia Shield and they are playing fine. Its just transfering files to it takes ages.

I would like a nas but the cost and then learning how to set it up etc I dunno if I can be bothered