Tracking down HDMI handshake issue

Deathsquirrel

Deathsquirrel

Both my Yamaha receiver and Nvidia shield got system updates this week.  Since then, I can only get the video signal from the shield to to TV if I switch the receiver to that input, unplug the shield and then plug it back in.  Then I have a signal until I do something crazy like turn off the receiver.

This doesn't happen on other inputs, suggesting a shield issue, but this receiver is a flaky POS on a good day so I wouldn't put too much stock in that.  None of my other receivers do 4K video so I can't easily swap it out and test if it's a receiver issue.

Any troubleshooting suggestions?  I'm watching streaming services on my xbox for the moment.  It's not a good user experience and I'm about to just suck it up and order a receiver from anyone other than yamaha.

Deathsquirrel

Immediately after posting this everything worked normally and correctly when turning the system on.  My theory is the key is to threaten to replace the receiver, loudly.

mastrmind11

Likely a HDCP handshake issue with the new firmware.  You're going to have to figure out the sequence of turn on events that allow the handshake to go through.  if the receiver is last in the chain, you're lucky.  Otherwise there are devices out there that you can put into the chain to fake a HDCP connection and the issue will likely go away.  Granted I don't know what receiver you've got and might not be worth the $200 for the device, but if I had a $2000 piece of equipment I'd spend the $200 so as to not replace the $2k.  My 2c from a similar (long ago) experience.  Good luck.