Organize “Home videos & photos” library in the way I need

aea666

aea666

Hi, I’ve been trying to find a solution along the forum for my issue, but I haven’t found it, so I would appreciate your help.

I have tried to create a library for all mi personal photos and videos.

I’m running Enby Server in a Synology DS214se, with DSM 6.2.4-25556 Update 5

The structure I have created is, everything in folders, and each folder:

• ·         Can contain photos, videos, or photos & videos

• ·         one folder for any single date I took a picture or generated a video.

• ·         the name of the folder contains the date where I took the picture or generated the video so they can be arranged chronologically

So, this is the structure I have:

imagen.png.28f3eb961c6c079be6b3e4062fe691fd.png

When I’m creating the library, I have tried 2 ways: choosing as content type “Home videos & photos” and “Mixed content”.

1.-  “Home videos & photos”

Even I select to show the content as folders, all the videos are shown outside the folders (blue squares vs. red ones, which are the folders) generating confusion (in the screenshot there are just few folders I’m using to learn how to do it, but I have over thousand of folders and videos)

imagen.png.89a7f7d4402c3a41b1ef9a8d69119b27.png

2.- "Mixed content”

In this case, all the videos are shown inside the folders (OK), but, when I go into the folders, the photos are not shown (?).

In conclusion, I would like to have the organization I have when I use “Home videos & photos”, but showing only the folders, and I don’t know how I have to configure the library, or if it’s not possible at all to get what I want.

Thanks in advance!

Happy2Play

This has to do with system xml "CollapseVideoFolders" and library options xml "CollapseSingleItemFolders" hidden switches.  By default, the system xml is set to true overriding all library options xml's. which are set to true also. And you have to change system before changing library to honor new settings.

Note changing these switched is destructive and will cause items to be removed from database and readd.

Not proficient on this platform but you will need to use tools to ssh into platform to edit files.

Shutdown Emby

You will need to edit the system.xml to change "CollapseVideoFolders" node from true to false. {Application path}/system/config/system.xml

Then navigate to the specific library options.xml to change "CollapseSingleItemFolders" node from true to false. {Data path}/root/default/specific library/options.xml

Start Emby and do a library scan on the library you edited.

You can see Application and Data paths in top section of Server log

As for Mixed Content, it does not currently support Photos.

• Like 1

aea666
6 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

This has to do with system xml "CollapseVideoFolders" and library options xml "CollapseSingleItemFolders" hidden switches.  By default, the system xml is set to true overriding all library options xml's. which are set to true also. And you have to change system before changing library to honor new settings.

Note changing these switched is destructive and will cause items to be removed from database and readd.

Not proficient on this platform but you will need to use tools to ssh into platform to edit files.

Shutdown Emby

You will need to edit the system.xml to change "CollapseVideoFolders" node from true to false. {Application path}/system/config/system.xml

Then navigate to the specific library options.xml to change "CollapseSingleItemFolders" node from true to false. {Data path}/root/default/specific library/options.xml

Start Emby and do a library scan on the library you edited.

You can see Application and Data paths in top section of Server log

As for Mixed Content, it does not currently support Photos.

Thanks, I will try to follow the process.

• 3 weeks later...
surlyville

Thank you – just the solution I was looking for too. A bit annoying that this can not be configured when a new library is added.

Worked for me on EmbyServer running on Synology (DSM 7.1)

config locations:

/var/packages/EmbyServer/var/config/system.xml

/var/packages/EmbyServer/var/root/default/

• Thanks 1

aea666

Thanks for your contribution. I haven’t had enough time to go into this problem because I have migrated to a better NAS and I have been experiencing lot of troubles. Hopefully I’ll try to solve it during next couple of weeks.

10 hours ago, aea666 said:

Thanks for your contribution. I haven’t had enough time to go into this problem because I have migrated to a better NAS and I have been experiencing lot of troubles. Hopefully I’ll try to solve it during next couple of weeks.

Let us know how you get on. Thanks.

aea666

Hi, I have learnt how to access to the NAS (using Putty), and I have access to the file /var/packages/EmbyServer/var/config/system.xml, but I have found these 2 issues:

• I am using the command vi to access the file, but I can’t overwrite the information of the file (there’s a message informing that the file is read-only). Do I have to access as root, or use any different way to access to this file?
  • Additionally, I have seen that there’s a single line named “CollapseVideoFolders”. I thought that there would be 1 line for each library. Does this mean that once I modify the file system.xml this will be applied to all the libraries? How this would affect to libraries with films specially for those ones with films split in 2 parts?

Please, keep in mind that my programming knowledge is zero, when you give you help.

Thanks in advance 😊

aea666
2 hours ago, RkcCorian said:

Workaround is also working for me. Any idea when this will be supported by the GUI? Many thanks!

That would be awesome for people like me, without deep knowledge.

• Like 2

RkcCorian
4 hours ago, aea666 said:

I am using the command vi to access the file, but I can’t overwrite the information of the file (there’s a message informing that the file is read-only). Do I have to access as root, or use any different way to access to this file?

You need admin access. If I remember correctly 'sudo -i' is needed. Check in the Inet 😉

Edited by RkcCorian

RkcCorian
4 hours ago, aea666 said:

Additionally, I have seen that there’s a single line named “CollapseVideoFolders”. I thought that there would be 1 line for each library. Does this mean that once I modify the file system.xml this will be applied to all the libraries? How this would affect to libraries with films specially for those ones with films split in 2 parts?

Unfortunately you have to change the config at one common location (one config file) + at every library location (one additional config file per library)

• Like 1

watemby

If I add a NEW Library and select my Synology NAS that is FULL of videos, NONE come up from Emby on the LG TV - would that also be because of the 'default' collapse video folder settings above?? I mean, seriously... THAT's the DEFAULT!?!?!

Edited by watemby

GrimReaper
7 minutes ago, watemby said:

would that also be because of the 'default' collapse video folder settings above??

That only affects presentation, i.e. whether those videos will be shown at top-level or underneath respective (sub)folders. 

If you have:

9 minutes ago, watemby said:

If I add a NEW Library and select my Synology NAS that is FULL of videos, NONE come up from Emby on the LG TV

you very likely have some other issue and should create separate topic, see:

aea666

Hi,

finally I got it!

I have had to ask for some help as I couldn't write the files, but with you information, and a friend of mine, I have the library organized as I wanted.

Thanks a lot!

• Thanks 1

• 10 months later...
RkcCorian

FYI: When you use the docker version (in case possible) it is easy when you store the config outside of the container (what I suggest)