"Seasons" row in episode detail view

Guest CodeCat5

Guest CodeCat5

When I start a TV show from the "Latest TV Shows" section on the app's main screen or by going directly to the show in my library, it will also show the list of seasons for that show if I scroll down a bit. If I start a TV show from either the "Next Up" or "Continue Watching" sections, or even if I just go to a different episode, then there is no list of seasons anymore. Of course I can still go up to More -> View Series to get to the list of seasons, but it would be more convenient and more consistent if the list of seasons was always displayed when viewing an episode regardless of how you navigated to that episode.

GrimReaper
2 minutes ago, CodeCat5 said:

more consistent if the list of seasons was always displayed when viewing an episode regardless of how you navigated to that episode.

You're not navigating to the same view in examples you gave:

- Selecting item from "Latest" row takes you to Series view, not Episode, where it is logical to have Seasons listed

- Selecting item from CW or NU rows takes you to Episode view, where tbh makes no sense to have other seasons listed except "More from..."  the one that episode belongs to

Guest CodeCat5

Regardless of how you classify the views, I still feel like it should be consistent. I can go into my library, select a show, and see the seasons listed below. If I navigate through there to any other episode though, then the Seasons navigation disappears.

Plex actually handles this rather nicely by always displaying a small row of the seasons regardless of how you navigated to the show, which seems much more consistent and intuitive.

Edited by CodeCat5

GrimReaper
17 minutes ago, CodeCat5 said:

Regardless of how you classify the views, I still feel like it should be consistent.

They're not "classified", those are different views, on a different level, and present different content.

I can go into my library, select a show, and see the seasons listed below. If I navigate through there to any other episode though, then the Seasons navigation disappears.

Of course, because you're navigating away from Series vies and deeper into Season and/or Episode view.

Plex actually handles this rather nicely by always displaying a small row of the seasons regardless of how you navigated to the show,

As does Emby, as long as you stay within Series (or Show, as you call it) view; in Plex likewise, if you go to Episode view, there's no Seasons listed.

Edited by GrimReaper
Typo

Guest CodeCat5
2 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

As does Emby, as long as you stay within Series (or Show, as you call it) view; in Plex likewise, if you go to Episode view, there's no Seasons listed.

Ok... So how exactly do you get to the "Episode" view within Plex then? I'm currently browsing around on my Roku, and no matter how I get to the show, I either see a small row at the top with a list of seasons, or a larger "Seasons" row below the episode's details. This also seems to be the case with Android TV.

I see if I use a browser to access things then they don't have the same navigation, but of course navigating with a mouse/keyboard is quite different than using a remote control. Just to clarify here, I'm referring to the navigation within the Roku/Android/etc apps, not a browser.

GrimReaper
12 minutes ago, CodeCat5 said:

So how exactly do you get to the "Episode" view within Plex then?

What do you mean? Select an episode, Episode view will open.

12 minutes ago, CodeCat5 said:

I'm currently browsing around on my Roku, and no matter how I get to the show, I either see a small row at the top with a list of seasons, or a larger "Seasons" row below the episode's details. This also seems to be the case with Android TV.

Don't know about Roku, but on AndroidTV Plex doesn't list Seasons on Episode view, just went to check whether they've changed something as it was a long time I've used it - and nope, they haven't, it's still same (slugfest) interface.

Edit: You are right, with ATV Plex there's textual top-row with Seasons in Episode view, was looking for Posters but there indeed is a header Seasons row.

Edited by GrimReaper
Paying more attention

Guest CodeCat5

Edit: You are right, with ATV Plex there's textual top-row with Seasons in Episode view, was looking for Posters but there indeed is a header Seasons row.

I believe the small "Seasons" row at the top is somewhat new, but I thought they also used to have the larger season posters shown lower on the page before they made that change. I could be wrong though.

Something similar within Emby (or even just the larger Posters like you were looking for) would be nice as it would make navigation more convenient and more consistent. While I understand they may be different "views", I feel like that's basically irrelevant to an end user. Whether I pick something from the "Continue Watching" section or the "Latest TV Shows" section, it's taking me to view a specific episode of that TV show and I would expect the views to be consistent in each case.

GrimReaper
3 minutes ago, CodeCat5 said:

Whether I pick something from the "Continue Watching" section or the "Latest TV Shows" section, it's taking me to view a specific episode of that TV show

That's the thing: it doesn't. CW/NU take you to a specific episode, Latest does not, it takes you to Show. 

Edited by GrimReaper
Append

Guest CodeCat5

That's the thing: it doesn't. CW/NU take you, Latest does not. 

Now that I look more I guess I see how that's a different view, but honestly that just seems more confusing and inconsistent for no good reason.

roaku
5 minutes ago, CodeCat5 said:

Now that I look more I guess I see how that's a different view, but honestly that just seems more confusing and inconsistent for no good reason.

It would be bad if I clicked on the 'next up' episode for a show and didn't end up at the view for that episode of the show.

It would be bad if I clicked on the show and ended up at a view for a particular episode.

Edited by roaku

Guest CodeCat5
5 minutes ago, roaku said:

It would be bad if I clicked on the 'next up' episode for a show and didn't end up at the view for that episode of the show.

It would be bad if I clicked on the show and ended up at a view for a particular episode.

Obviously. What would be nice would be a consistent experience regardless of how you get to the episode.

1 minute ago, CodeCat5 said:

Obviously. What would be nice would be a consistent experience regardless of how you get to the episode.

Hi.  It is consistent.  But you are navigating to two different places.  The episode vs the show...

Any way you open an episode, you get the same view.  Any way you open a show, you also get the same view.

Guest CodeCat5
1 minute ago, ebr said:

Hi.  It is consistent.  But you are navigating to two different places.  The episode vs the show...

Any way you open an episode, you get the same view.  Any way you open a show, you also get the same view.

Ok, I'll re-word my request then... It would be nice if the "episode view" was a bit more similar to the "show view" and gave you a way to easily navigate through seasons.