PgUp for next chapter seems broken

MikeB111

MikeB111

It seems that Emby Theater saw a recent update that changed some behavior.  I was wondering if anyone else has noticed that Pg-Up and Pg-Down no longer advance to the next or previous chapter when watching a video?  I appreciate that I can access the chapters from the OSD, but skipping to the next chapter with a button press on my remote has been an important feature for me and it seems to no longer work.

I'm not actually sure what Pg-Up and Pg-Down do now, they do skip forward and backwards, but not to the next chapter and not even by a fixed amount of time it seems.  Can't figure it out, but it seems pretty random now.  It seems to jump by about 7 minutes, but I'm not sure.

Was the command changed for skipping to the next chapter and I missed it, or is this feature now broken?  Anyone else notice this behavior?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
MikeB111

Just checking in on this again.  It seems to be broken again, PgUp and PgDwn do not seem to advance chapters any longer.  I hope this is not a feature that is going away, i find it incredibly useful!

Mike

7 hours ago, MikeB111 said:

Just checking in on this again.  It seems to be broken again, PgUp and PgDwn do not seem to advance chapters any longer.  I hope this is not a feature that is going away, i find it incredibly useful!

Mike

Hi, can you please try it again? I just tested and page up/down seem to be working just fine during video playback to skip chapters.

MikeB111

Thanks for checking on this, I went back this morning and looked at this closer.  I apologize, you are correct that the Pg-Up and Pg-Down commands do still work for advancing chapters.  But it turns out that the reason I thought it wasn't working is that Emby does not seem to be recognizing chapters in any program added since about mid May.

Just for a little more background, I use Emby for recording life TV, and I process each recording using MCEBuddy to identify commercials.  It does not remove the commercials (it's not reliable enough for that in my opinion) but it does set chapter markers at the end of each commercial.  So when I'm watching TV and a commercial starts I can just hit Pg-Up and it skips to the end of the commercial.  This has been working great for a couple of years now, no change to my setup.  I thought Pg-Up wasn't working anymore because it stopped skipping commercials.  But it turns out that Emby is just not recognizing the chapters.

If I open the video files in VLC it recognizes the chapters just fine.  But any TV program added after like May 21 (approximately) does not show chapters in Emby.  This is true for Emby Theater in Windows as well as when using Emby through a web browser.  I did try and re-scan the library files, no change.

Any thoughts?

MikeB111

Sorry, just one more bit of information.  I just checked, and Emby is recognizing chapters in movies that I have recently added.  So this seems to be an issue only with recorded TV programs.  

Thanks!

Ok please try refreshing the metadata on one of those recordings and see if that helps. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
MikeB111

Looks like refreshing metadata on an episode does fix this so that Emby sees the chapters.  

Is there anything that can be done to make this automatic again?  Prior to May this was automatic, so it seems that something changed.  Is there a setting that I could adjust to make this behave the way it used to (where metadata was automatically refreshed when the video file changed)?

Thanks!

Hi, it's still automatic. Try refreshing the metadata on existing ones and then see if it happens again with new ones after that. Thanks.

MikeB111

I just checked, it does not identify chapters on anything since May, to include new recordings this week.  Recordings start out as .ts files with no chapters.  When they're processed by MCEBuddy the chapters are marked and the file is saved into the same folder with the same filename, but with a .mkv extension instead of .ts extension.  Refreshing metadata on these files manually will cause Emby to see the chapters, but without a manual refresh Emby does not see the chapters, although they are in the file.

Right, those are the previous files. I would update to Emby Server 4.7.6 and then let's see what happens with a new file after that. Thanks.

MikeB111

I verified that I'm at 4.7.6, then updated meta data on the entire library, then waited for new programs to be recorded and processes.  They still are not automatically being refreshed to recognize the chapters.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
7 hours ago, MikeB111 said:

Just wondering if you have discovered anything on this issue?  Any chance for a fix in the next update?

Thanks!

Hi, it seems to work just fine in my testing. Can you please give it another try? Thanks.

MikeB111

Nope, definitely still not working.  Chapters are there in the file, but Emby does not seem to refresh the metadata automatically when they are added.  I can manually refresh, but it does not auto refresh anymore (used to work just fine, stopped working in mid-May).

1 hour ago, MikeB111 said:

Nope, definitely still not working.  Chapters are there in the file, but Emby does not seem to refresh the metadata automatically when they are added.  I can manually refresh, but it does not auto refresh anymore (used to work just fine, stopped working in mid-May).

I thought we were talking about the page up/page down keys? Anyway that's what this topic has been about.

MikeB111

Sorry for not being more clear, and thanks for the quick reply!

You are right that the original post was about the Page up/down keys, and you all got that fixed very quickly.  But then if you look at the posts after July 17 in this thread you'll recall that it morphed into an issue with Emby not refreshing metadata after a video file is changed.  Specifically, I use MCEBuddy to add chapters to my recorded TV programs at the end of each commercial so that I can skip commercials with a single press of the page-up button.  MCEBuddy is still working fine, chapters are being added, but Emby no longer seems to be automatically refreshing the file metadata to recognize those chapters.  Playing the file in a different player (like VLC) shows that the chapters are there, but Emby does not see them unless I manually refresh metadata on the recording.  Then they show up and pgUp works just fine.

So now it's not a problem with PgUp, but a problem with automatically refreshing metadata.

Thanks! 

MikeB111

Shouldn't the update be automatic whenever the file is changed?  That is what I understood from your previous reply in this thread, and it is how Emby used to work.  For me this stopped automatically refreshing in the May timeframe, I assume associated with some update to Emby Server.  Yes, I can manually refresh metadata and it'll see the chapters in the file, but why is this no longer happening automatically when the file changes?

On 11/19/2022 at 6:54 PM, MikeB111 said:

Shouldn't the update be automatic whenever the file is changed?  That is what I understood from your previous reply in this thread, and it is how Emby used to work.  For me this stopped automatically refreshing in the May timeframe, I assume associated with some update to Emby Server.  Yes, I can manually refresh metadata and it'll see the chapters in the file, but why is this no longer happening automatically when the file changes?

It should yes. I'm trying to chase down why it doesn't in some situations. Thanks.

• 1 year later...
MikeB111
On 11/21/2022 at 4:39 PM, Luke said:

It should yes. I'm trying to chase down why it doesn't in some situations. Thanks.

Hey Luke,

Just wondering if you've been able to identify why Emby Server is not automatically refreshing metadata when a recording file gets changed?  I'm running the latest version of Server and do not see any change in this regard.  I can manually update metadata, but it no longer updates automatically when the video file is updated (as happens when I scan the file using MCEBuddy to identify commercials and mark them with chapters).

Any updates or suggestions appreciated!  Thanks!

1 minute ago, MikeB111 said:

Hey Luke,

Just wondering if you've been able to identify why Emby Server is not automatically refreshing metadata when a recording file gets changed?  I'm running the latest version of Server and do not see any change in this regard.  I can manually update metadata, but it no longer updates automatically when the video file is updated (as happens when I scan the file using MCEBuddy to identify commercials and mark them with chapters).

Any updates or suggestions appreciated!  Thanks!

What do you mean by changed? What kind of change?