4:3 Aspect Ratio missing?

GiGo

GiGo

Am I missing something here, but why is there not option under the Zoom menu for a 4:3 Aspect Ratio? I'm watching some older shows that are for some reason encoded to 720x408, so it's 16:9 and everything just looks wrong, but on the Android TV version there is no 4:3 option, nor is it there on the Android App, the option is there on the Web App.

Is this an oversight?

GiGo
Just now, Luke said:

Hi, are you saying it has black bars burned into the video?

Sorry I didn't make myself clear, the videos are 16:9 with a resolution of 720x408, however they should be 4:3. So the resolution should be 720x540 to maintain the aspect ratio, I don't want to alter the videos. 

I don't know why the 4:3 ratio isn't available on the Android apps? 

GiGo
2 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Can you show us what the image actually looks like on the screen?

Taken from the web app as it's easier than getting a screenshot from my Android TV box, the video is formatted as mentioned in 720x408 but should be at 4:3 but there is no option for that on Web App and Android TV box.

23970696-23305350a0e8fb5ddf3ea512a96cef92.png

Edited by GiGo
image upload

GiGo
5 minutes ago, ebr said:

Thanks.  Hard to tell from that image... is it stretched or cropped?

The video is 'untouched' but it looks streched, here they are side by side after setting VLC to 4:3 you will hopfully see the difference;
image.thumb.png.420bdb30fab11c502eb8448ea0174b3d.png

In the web app and Android app and Android TV app resizing to 4:3 is not an option for some reason!?

Edited by GiGo

8 hours ago, GiGo said:

Taken from the web app as it's easier than getting a screenshot from my Android TV box, the video is formatted as mentioned in 720x408 but should be at 4:3 but there is no option for that on Web App and Android TV box.

23970696-23305350a0e8fb5ddf3ea512a96cef92.png

Unless we incorporate server transcoding, those are the only options that web browser video players can provide.

GiGo
4 hours ago, Luke said:

Unless we incorporate server transcoding, those are the only options that web browser video players can provide.

Surely having an option to squeeze the video displaying doesn't require transcoding? Just seems a bit odd that there isn't an option for aspect ratios and only zoom options. 

pwhodges

When I play 4:3 videos on my Android they are correct.  I have only seen videos played with the wrong aspect ratio when the headers of the file contained errors - and when that happens I correct the file.

Paul

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, GiGo said:

Surely having an option to squeeze the video displaying doesn't require transcoding? Just seems a bit odd that there isn't an option for aspect ratios and only zoom options. 

It isn't odd because the only reason one would need a squeeze like this is if the media is actually encoded in the wrong aspect - which it appears is the case in your situation.  

GiGo
1 hour ago, ebr said:

It isn't odd because the only reason one would need a squeeze like this is if the media is actually encoded in the wrong aspect - which it appears is the case in your situation.  

Yes it is encoded at the wrong aspect ratio, however most media players you can change the aspect ratio rather than just the zoom function. No issues with it not being there, just a tad annoying and I assumed it was an oversight.

I suppose I can change the settings on the TV to overcome the issue, thanks for the replies :) 

pwhodges

Just correct the file.  If it's MKV you can edit the display size parameters in the stream header directly using MKVToolNix; if MP4, maybe there's another program to do that, or you can easily remux into MKV, again using MKVToolNix.

Paul

GiGo
5 hours ago, pwhodges said:

Just correct the file.  If it's MKV you can edit the display size parameters in the stream header directly using MKVToolNix; if MP4, maybe there's another program to do that, or you can easily remux into MKV, again using MKVToolNix.

Paul

I may well do that, they are on cloud drive so I would have to download them all and re-upload them.