Mouse can't catch volume pop-up hover

mbuser18

mbuser18

When Emby Theater is running, and you go with the mouse to change the volume over the volume icon, the volume slider pops up but disappears before you can click on it.  Been like this for a while now.  I saw in the other thread that a new windows app is coming out, so maybe this will be fixed there.  There are other complaints lol that I have held out on.

mbuser18

Only because you asked!!

• infinite scrolling issue (i have a post from long ago)
  • some ability to customize keyboard shortcuts
  • some ability to customize gaming controllers
  • the whole different keyboard commands for when the navigation is showing vs when it goes away is very inconvenient
  • it doesn't work when internet is not connected.  both theater and regular.  actually many of these apply to both.
  • you keep removing poweruser features for (seemingly) no reason.  why did you hide the shuffle episodes button?
  • more powerful filtering features, or some ability to save searches or filters etc.  (theres a open source program called stashapp that does this the best, but it is for errrr a *different* audience)
  • i find the maximizing, minimzing, full screen behavior erratic.  SOmetimes the video is playing on another monitor (multiple monitor setup) while the main emby is still showing.  minimizing shoots to other screens.  SOmetimes, minimizing doesn't remember the window size.  The window resize arrows don't work as expected on all edges.  Etc.
  • Can we get some fine-tuning on the "modes'?  LIke TV Mode, PC mode , etc. 
  • Along the same lines, why does the "..." option have to use the full screen?  why can't it popup as a subwindow dialog like the web app?

• infinite scrolling issue (i have a post from long ago)

Hi, what issue do you have exactly?

• the whole different keyboard commands for when the navigation is showing vs when it goes away is very inconvenient

Can you please give an example?

• you keep removing poweruser features for (seemingly) no reason.  why did you hide the shuffle episodes button?

It's still available, it's just in the three-dot menu. We'd like to offer power user features, and we will, while at the same time still be able to have a presentation that is aesthetically competitive with other apps.

• Along the same lines, why does the "..." option have to use the full screen?  why can't it popup as a subwindow dialog like the web app?

Can you explain this a little bit more? I'm not sure what you mean. Thanks.

• i find the maximizing, minimzing, full screen behavior erratic.  SOmetimes the video is playing on another monitor (multiple monitor setup) while the main emby is still showing.  minimizing shoots to other screens.  SOmetimes, minimizing doesn't remember the window size.  The window resize arrows don't work as expected on all edges.  Etc.
  • it doesn't work when internet is not connected.  both theater and regular.  actually many of these apply to both.

We're working on a new windows app that will correct both of these.

• 2 months later...
mbuser18
On 3/19/2022 at 8:57 PM, Luke said:

Can you explain this a little bit more? I'm not sure what you mean. Thanks.

Sorry, I forgot about this post.  What I meant by this is (remember, I'm a pc user with large screen and mouse), when you click the ..., the entire screen is taken up by the menu that pops up.  That menu can just be a small dialog (transparent) that just unfolds under the ... without taking up the entire screen.  This is how it works on the android app.  It is better.

Also, another change that happened recently.  Again, part of the complaint is that you keep putting more and more items hidden away in the ... but use power users would like that stuff out front.  So now, we used to be able to click on the title of the tv show to get to the main root screen of that show (let's say we were on a different season screen and wanted to go back).  SO now, you've removed that so you can't click on the title anymore.  Now we have to go to the ... and click on the title there.

when you click the ..., the entire screen is taken up by the menu that pops up.  That menu can just be a small dialog (transparent) that just unfolds under the ... without taking up the entire screen.  

This is no longer the case unless you're on a lower resolution screen.

mbuser18
3 hours ago, Luke said:

This is no longer the case unless you're on a lower resolution screen.

This happens on my 4k TV that is running Emby Theater on a windows desktop.  I have TV mode selected as the interface.

On 6/4/2022 at 10:48 PM, mbuser18 said:

This happens on my 4k TV that is running Emby Theater on a windows desktop.  I have TV mode selected as the interface.

OK we'll take a look at it. Thanks.

mbuser18

Oh I see you have responded individually to others above.  Sorry about that, i will answer them tomorrow.

• 1 month later...
mbuser18

Just checking back here....

• Looks like we can click on the tv show title directly again to be taken to the show homepage.
  • regarding the different keyboard commands...i never explained.  when a movie is playing, for a few seconds, the control bar shows.  when the control bar is visible, the arrow keys do something different than when the control bar is not visible.  you already describe this in the keyboard shortcuts wiki page.  what I'm suggesting is let's get away from this, it is annoying.  we (power users again) always have to wait for the bar to disappear to start using the keyboard.  also, it prevents us from using 3rd party tools to customize commands and game controllers, etc.  I know we represent like a low percentage of users, but it would really be great if like 10% of the time you can consider features for us also, and not just a simple phone user.  This keyboard/game controller situation would really help take this to the next level.  I am now considering kodi because it will allow me to customize (with a lot of work).  But only because this app severely limits any kind of control.  for example, emby theater is the ONLY app i have on my pc where the 3rd party software cant customize it because it just insists on game controller functions working in the one way you have programmed.  even if you change it, it will not follow the customization.  i cannot program the arrow keys to do anything different than what you have, which is not what i want.

5 minutes ago, mbuser18 said:

Just checking back here....

• Looks like we can click on the tv show title directly again to be taken to the show homepage.
  • regarding the different keyboard commands...i never explained.  when a movie is playing, for a few seconds, the control bar shows.  when the control bar is visible, the arrow keys do something different than when the control bar is not visible.  you already describe this in the keyboard shortcuts wiki page.  what I'm suggesting is let's get away from this, it is annoying.  we (power users again) always have to wait for the bar to disappear to start using the keyboard.  also, it prevents us from using 3rd party tools to customize commands and game controllers, etc.  I know we represent like a low percentage of users, but it would really be great if like 10% of the time you can consider features for us also, and not just a simple phone user.  This keyboard/game controller situation would really help take this to the next level.  I am now considering kodi because it will allow me to customize (with a lot of work).  But only because this app severely limits any kind of control.  for example, emby theater is the ONLY app i have on my pc where the 3rd party software cant customize it because it just insists on game controller functions working in the one way you have programmed.  even if you change it, it will not follow the customization.  i cannot program the arrow keys to do anything different than what you have, which is not what i want.

Hi, what do you want to do with the keyboard when the control bar is hidden?

mbuser18
31 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, what do you want to do with the keyboard when the control bar is hidden?

I am trying to achieve the following behavior for the arrow keys (+ others) on a keyboard:

• Up/Down, volume up/down.  And preferably only the emby theater volume (NOT the system volume).
  • Left/Right, seek back/forward in a customizable number of seconds, but the default value you use is fine.
  • spacebar, play/pause.  And always, control bar on/off doesn't matter

Actually, all of these no matter if control bar is showing or not.

Furthermore, the real painful stuff will be around scrolling.  there are all these things about mousewheel scroll vs mouse-drag scroll vs arrow key scroll vs gamepad scrolling.  And it all must be considered.  Again, my suggestion to achieve all of this with as little work as possible, is remove all the locked default behavior from the app.  Allow a mode where none of the keyboard or mouse controls are baked in, and then any of us can get a 3rd party tool to do whatever we want with it.

If you can implement these things, it will allow us pc users something very powerful...we can really easily make emby theater a nice standalone appliance with just regular windows, which is a really flexible option.  But these issues make it really hard to have a stable setup.

• 4 weeks later...
mbuser18

Seems like something regarding scrolling in emby theater was updated.  It's great!  Before, scrolling with a mouse wheel was very very slow, short scroll increments.  Now, it scrolls quickly and nicely.  More of this sort of thing please.  Can we get the shuffle button back out into the main area?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mbuser18 said:

Seems like something regarding scrolling in emby theater was updated.  It's great!  Before, scrolling with a mouse wheel was very very slow, short scroll increments.  Now, it scrolls quickly and nicely.  More of this sort of thing please.  Can we get the shuffle button back out into the main area?

Hi, do you mean shuffling the episodes of a tv series?

36 minutes ago, mbuser18 said:

Yes, exactly.  The button used to be outside the dots on the main screen.

OK, the layout can only handle so many buttons, and my sense right now is that shuffling a tv series, while essential, is not used anywhere near as frequently for most people as just the basic play/resume.

mbuser18

Fair enough, but you can say that for anything.  This is why I say if you can consider us powerusers sometimes, it would be nice.  First, I don't agree...there is TONS of space everywhere.  And the button was there before and it was no eyesore lol.  In fact, when it went away, the difference was so negligible I didn't even notice until i went searching for the missing button.  Also, chicken/egg...if you hide the button, yes, nobody is going to use it.  especially a regular user that you spend 99"% of your time listening to who might struggle with the concept of settings and menus, etc. 

If it were me, I'd consider some kind of "advanced menu" section in the settings where people like me can turn it on and mess with more stuff.  I doubt you guys will do it given the direction you have gone the past few years, but its a wish.  And regarding how many of us are there, I suspect there are a lot, but we don't make much noise.  After all, we will tinker and solve most of our problems ourselves.  So I wouldn't go with the metrics on this regarding the reality of who is doing what.  Anyway, these are not criticisms, just a wish list.

Here's another one....I often get frustrated with the options for sorting and filtering, and the interface is not good IMO for a PC user.  Again, you say that it is not the case, but my TV running emby through PC...anytime i have to select the ... the options takes up the entire screen with the giant choices. Like just have a small dropdown, and give us some better options there.  I can expand later, but I don't want to be annoying.  Just to give an example, this is the best one I have ever seen, it is beautiful...

this one is for a *err* different purpose lol, but the gui is perfect for poweruser types.

You can search the filename/titles/etc., you can quickly shuffle with a button, you can (in one click!) sort the view in like 4 ways, all of them better than emby.  And your favorite ... is there for advanced options.  But these are truly advanced, you can create custom filters with boolean operators.  Also, you can save all these very quickly and they will appear in one click with the bookmark dropdown.  This is now the other extreme of you guys.  You guys want to keep it simple for a normal user, these guys go all out for power user.  All I ask is to consider this occasionally even if you think the number of us is very low (which, again, I challenge).  Emby Theater users in particular will have higher numbers than you are thinking.  Maybe the phone app user numbers are as you say, though.

Snag_ebee8d4.png

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, mbuser18 said:

Now....the volume level popup that appears in the corner when you change the volume doesn't appear anymore.

Hi, what method are you using to change volume?

mbuser18
2 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, what method are you using to change volume?

Same way as I've been doing for years....the media volume buttons on the keyboard.  Yesterday, I also tried the F9 F10 buttons since to see if it makes a difference, but no difference.

Edited by mbuser18