Switching Users

Misinthe
Go to solution Solved by MBSki,

Misinthe

Good morning, I am having a little issue right now, when I first set up emby on my Windows Server, I set it up with a local Administrator account, and it works fine. I have created a domain in my home and I created a media admin to access the NAS share and control all the media servers, when I log in as the media admin on the Emby Windows Server, Emby does not start, does the Emby Server run only on the account that installed it? What should I do, I need to move it to my new media admin AD account. Thank you.

MBSki

You should just have to double click the exe from the Emby system folder using whatever account you want for it to start under. Or you can set it up as a service so the account doesn't matter.

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159984-running-emby-server-as-a-windows-service

Edited by mbarylski

Misinthe
On 12/03/2022 at 13:34, mbarylski said:

You should just have to double click the exe from the Emby system folder using whatever account you want for it to start under. Or you can set it up as a service so the account doesn't matter.

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159984-running-emby-server-as-a-windows-service

Thanks for the advice, only issues I have with this options are:

1) If I do it as a service, I wouldn't be able to manage the server under the new user.

2) If you do it as a service and have it installed on the user as well, when you sign in, it creates an issue where there's 2 config files and it starts getting things messed up, this happened to me a couple of years ago.

What I eneded up doing was backup the server, uninstall it, then reinstall on the new user and restore the server. (I have a Premiere subscription)

• Solution
MBSki

If it's setup as a service you can manage it with any user. I have mine setup as a ser ice and use both a local login and MS login account on Windows to manage it.

To avoid the 2 config files and 2 servers starting, just set it up as a service from the beginning. If you start from the exe, yes you can get 2, but you can also just stop the locally started server and it should go back to 1.

pwhodges

More precisely, any user to whom you have given the admin role can manage the server.  The point is, though, that it is the Emby user that determines that right, not the Windows or other type of user (which the browser or app doesn't pass to the server anyway).

Paul

• Like 1