Why "mkv" is being transcoded but "ts"?

tlgcntn

tlgcntn

Hello,

I'm using emby server Arm64 on Raspberry Pi OS (debian buster) on Rasberry 4.
emby server version: 4.6.6.0

My Emby client is on LG Webos. (Tv model LG UH650V)

I have an issue about 'transcoding'. I want to use only 'direct play'. Rasberry is not enough for any transcoding process for a big media files like 4K, high bitrate, HDR etc... So I'm trying to use directplay only.

I have two video files without audio in it.

1) benedetta_no_sound_ts.ts :

Title4K HEVC HDR10
CodecHEVC
Codec TagHEVC
ProfileMain 10
Level153
Resolution3840x2160
Aspect Ratio16:9
InterlacedNo
Framerate24
Bitrate63,530 kbps
Video RangeHDR10
Color Primariesbt2020
Color Spacebt2020nc
Color Transfersmpte2084
Bit Depth10 bit
Pixel Formatyuv420p10le
Reference Frames1

2) benedetta_no_sound_mkv.mkv

Title4K HEVC HDR10
CodecHEVC
ProfileMain 10
Level153
Resolution3840x2160
Aspect Ratio16:9
InterlacedNo
Framerate24
Bitrate44,705 kbps
Video RangeHDR10
Color Primariesbt2020
Color Spacebt2020nc
Color Transfersmpte2084
Bit Depth10 bit
Pixel Formatyuv420p10le
Reference Frames1

When I play .mkv file on LG client, it's being transcoded.
When I play .ts file on LG client, it's not beign transcoded as I want. It's direct play.

How can I learn why? I'm pretty sure LG codecs are just fine to play exactly same video with .mkv format instead .ts

I can provide any logs or informations you want.
Could you please help me to fix this issue? otherwise I'll have to convert my all mkv movies to ts format :(

tlgcntn

There is no information for the reason on there.

I've captured that information for both .ts and .mkv

edit: Sorry for image resoulution, couldn't find a way to resize in here.

image.thumb.png.89fe3d4d208f14fe37da2edb8053dd4f.pngimage.thumb.png.65fde8d370fa68dfb502644715efd022.png

Edited by tlgcntn

OK that's strange. Usually there will be a transcoding reason. Please supply an ffmpeg log example then:

Thanks.

tlgcntn

There might be a bug about displayment of transcoding reason on LG WebOS client.

I have attached the ".mkv" file log. It couldn't generate a log file for the '.ts' media somehow. There is no log on the log list page for .ts file when I played it on the WebOS side. If I can get it, I'll attach it too :)

ffpmeg-remux-* log has been generated when I play that .mkv media on the LG WebOS client. The server is running on a Raspberry 4 as I mentioned on the description.

They all in the same local network. (home router)

I also attached the 'emby server' log files if you can dig something related on there.

Please let me know if I should provide more information.

Thank you very much for your quick replies.

ffmpeg-remux-157d0482-f510-47d0-b393-b37164a441c2_1.txt embyserver.txt

Happy2Play

Yes there is a Play method conflict as it is Direct Stream (log is a remux) not a Transcode.  So this mkv is not trascoding.

&VideoCodec=h264,h265,hevc &TranscodeReasons=DirectPlayError

19:03:44.848 Stream mapping:
19:03:44.848   Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (copy)

But we do need a better understanding of a DirectPlay error.  

The LG app tried to direct play it, and then the video player raised an error and so we switched to remuxing with the server to ensure successful playback. Does this answer your question?

Happy2Play
4 minutes ago, Luke said:

The LG app tried to direct play it, and then the video player raised an error and so we switched to remuxing with the server to ensure successful playback. Does this answer your question?

So is there a issue in the client showing Playback Method: Transcode instead of Direct Stream?  But would be interest to see if Dashboard was showing Transcode also?

tlgcntn

Good catch @Happy2Play 

Thanks to both of you.

My question is that why that LG TV Emby client raising an error even if TV can play that .mkv file directly (mean directPlay)? Isn't this an Emby Client issue?

And yes, dashboard is showing 'transcoding' also. It is 'really' transcoding actually because my raspberry pi 4 is not strong to transcode this media and playback is stopping every 3-4 seconds on the LG app. So I can definetly say it is really transcoding when it say 'transcoding' on the app 'stats for nerd' panel/infoBox.

Btw, I can provide the video files if you want.

Selection_238.png.952cb750d8df3c1c4c6e98764a897b1e.png

Edited by tlgcntn

My question is that why that LG TV Emby client raising an error even if TV can play that .mkv file directly (mean directPlay)? Isn't this an Emby Client issue?

Hi, the app is using the built-in LG video player, and that is what is raising the error with the file. Occasionally there will be files that look like they should direct play, but the LG player will still have trouble with them. That's why we have the automatic switch in order to ensure successful playback.

How do you know that the TV can play that specific file? Can you provide a copy of it for testing?

tlgcntn

Ooh, I thought my TV can handle that mkv videos. When I tried to play it over usb directly (without emby), it couldn't handle it. It didn't try to open anyway!

I guess it is my fault. Somehow this TV can't handle this UHD mkv HEVC video files anymore. It is very strange because I was able to play them before a few months ago.

Nevermind. Sorry to waste your time guys. Thank you very much all of your effort and helps!