Emby Theatre Enlighten me please

timmyjayz

timmyjayz

Cannot find information about external players for this. Am I correct in assuming if the player does not have //server/folder or a direct hdmi going to it, you cannot use it, such as a local network player via http. I have tried //192.168.0.1 and variations and just looking to corroborate it can or cannot be done. If so please give syntax. Thanks.

@timmyjayz

Hi, when you say "you cannot use it", are you referring to external players in Emby Theater, or the entire application? You don't need that to use Emby Theater.

You may or may not need that to use external players. It just depends on the external player you want to use and what it supports. If Emby Theater can't access the media path directly, it will pass an http url to the external player and it's just a matter of whether the player will play from a URL or not.

Does this help?

timmyjayz

Let me be clear what the goal is. I want to browse movies and watch from htpc through emby theatre on my tv IF it is not HDR or DV. If it is HDR or DV then I want to cast it from my emby theatre to my UBP-X800M2 to play it on network it is http://192.168.0.106:50201 per device properties in Windows 10, I kept ports standard in emby server if that matters. I am well aware how to cast from emby browser. Deciding I want to watch something HDR or DV then switching to browser to then cast is not a desirable solution. To save time if any other questions about what the player supports, see attached.

Sony-Bluray-UBP-X800M2.conf

timmyjayz

If I took the time to put an HDR title in my library it means I want the best viewing experience. The UPB-X800M2 will upscale it to 4k, not to mention colours in Windows are not as accurate and there will always be more jitter regardless of settings in that platform. This suggestion even if followed does nothing to solve the problem with dolby vision as this cannot play in Windows. Furthermore, the question still was not answered:

What is the syntax to cast to an external player given details as described above, or please confirm it cannot be done. Thanks.

Edited by timmyjayz
Sent before complete by mistake

What do you mean by syntax? The external player has to be a program on the same machine as Emby Theater that the app can just launch.

timmyjayz

External player is ambiguous and subjective. I want to cast to what I consider an external player my UBP-X800M2. It is on the local network and has http/UPnP support and can be accessed //192.168.106 which can be written in a variety of ways such as http://192.168.0.106 or maybe a port needs to be included //192.168.106:8096 etc etc. If it can be done, then what is the correct syntax for the argument to be accepted?504505968_whatsyntaxgoeshere.thumb.png.60bc6d24f659702d4cfb85ff1fe62426.png

External player is ambiguous and subjective.

OK so to clarify, the only thing that is supported is launching an executable on the same machine as Emby Theater.

timmyjayz

Then Emby Theatre, the paid player, is inferior to Kodi with Embyapps, the freeware.... that doesn't make sense. Why not make it so when you click browse library from the Emby Server tray icon, it opens Emby Theatre and it can cast to network devices the same as it does from the browser, if one wishes to do so and trip HDR automatically for said content. Furthermore make it actually support chapters without having to do hacks like changing BDMV 0300 to 0200 with UHD BDMV movies. There are many out there that want to direct play, not transcode, content casted with all the perks listed above, such as when you cast from Emby to Infuse which unfortunately my devices are restricted from having. Its already built, just add a few tweaks and people will pay, pretty sure they  sick of hearing why not just convert it to mp4/mkv, I know I am.

Why not make it so when you click browse library from the Emby Server tray icon, it opens Emby Theatre

Nobody has ever brought up this idea before. The server and Emby Theater are two separate installations.

timmyjayz

Was making a suggestion to make Emby Theatre useful... I am well aware they are separate installations. If you do not want to make improvements that is your prerogative.

3 hours ago, timmyjayz said:

Was making a suggestion to make Emby Theatre useful... I am well aware they are separate installations. If you do not want to make improvements that is your prerogative.

I get what you're saying. If they are both installed, then yes, it would be nice if the server tray icon had a menu option to launch it.