Remote playback issue

Leinad86
Go to solution Solved by Leinad86,

Leinad86

Hi all,

Somehow I think there must be a problem somewhere else.

I have a certificate from Cloudflare that is fine. My users had no problems looking after September 30th, when the problem with LG certificates occurred. All of a sudden it started to cause problems. And the reports keep growing. In the meantime, the problems also occur on the Apple TV, Samsung TV, LG TV. What still works without problems are IOS smartphones and Android smartphones. At least I'm not aware of anything here. Even Fire TV Sticks with the beta version usually run without problems. But here, too, it occurs from time to time that only the loading symbol appears and the film does not start.

I just find the following funny.

1. If you lower the film or the quality to the extent that it has to be transcoded, the films will run.

2. Problems only occur when Direct Play takes place.

3. Prerolls are always played without problems. But they should also have problems with Direct Play, if it were a certificate problem, right?

4. I felt like I searched the whole internet for problems with Cloudflare certificates and Amazon sticks. I can't find a message about this. If there were problems there, more users would have problems with it. I don't think I'm the only one using Cloudflare with Emby. Even with Apple TV I have not found anything that can indicate certificate problems. Here we only talk about Samsung and LG TVS or Smart TV in general.

5. There must be another problem, right?

6. Problems became more and more the more I coded in h265. Started doing this in December 2021. And was finished around January 2022. I have a feeling it has something to do with it. Is there any way to confirm or rule that out?

I could create a test account if any of you would like to switch on it to see the problems for yourself.

Summarized again.

Many clients have problems with Direct Play. Only the loading symbol appears. However, pre-roll clips always run without problems with Direct Play.

If you use playback correction or lower the quality to the point where transcoding is required, everything runs without problems.

Please help me here because I don't know what to do anymore.

Here is some information about the hardware used

- All my content is encoded with Tdarr on H265.

- Emby runs on an Unraid Server version 6.9.2

- Certificate comes from Cloudflare as shown above

- Server version is 4.7.0.29

- Server connection mode is set to Preferred but not required

- It all runs on an Asus Prime X370 motherboard with the Ryzen 1700x CPU and 32 GB Ram.

- A Quadro P2000 is used as the GPU

- Other Dockers running are TDARR Server/Node and Netdata. Otherwise nothing is running on the server

- Internet connection is a fiber optic line FTTH with 400 down and 160 up

- Router is a DIY Sophos XG Home. Port releases, etc. are all set correctly. Other Sophos security features are disabled.

- The server is connected via link aggregation to a switch that is directly connected to the Sophos.

Thank you in advance for any useful tip

Translate with Google

rbjtech

I would set your connection type to 'required' for https - that will reduce the scope when trying to track down the problem.

Remember if emby 'loads' (even the menu) then you have a connection over https - ask your users to check in a web browser - if they look at the padlock, it will (should) show TLS 1.2 is valid etc etc.

I don't think https/tls is your problem - I think it's the h265 content.

Why not create a test h264 library and use that to test ?

Ping me a test account via PM if you like and I can verify the cert etc for you - let me know 'problematic' h265 files and I'll take a quick look for you.

Leinad86

I don't think HTTPS/TLS is my problem either.
Yes I did that now. I've got the movie The Book of Eli on H264 and H265 now.

On the FireTV Stick Gen2 with the standard app from the store, he plays the pre-roll (in H265 direct play) but then not only see the loading symbol of the film. If I then try the H264 version, it plays the preroll (H264 direct play) again and then immediately starts the film without any problems. The same also on the 4K stick.

If I then install the beta, it plays both without a problem. Just weird

I'll send you the test account right away. Thanks in advance

• Solution
Leinad86

Hi, i found the problem. It was a page rule at Cloudflare. I must have messed things up when creating the other 2 rules. When I deactivated this rule, everything went immediately without any problems. No more loading symbol and all formats are played directly. Also have the secure connection is required activated again. Also tested with the stable version of the FireTV Stick. Everything is going great. Now let's see what the users say. Especially those who have the LG TVS.
Thank you for your support

image.png.7bb39193562ba1d9b5cbb2005628e595.png

• Thanks 1