No audio for some disc rips on one TV

justinrh
Go to solution Solved by justinrh,

justinrh

I have Shield TVs on two Vizio TVs  (diff models).  The newer TV with a sound bar won't play audio for some disc rips.  The example video in the logs is for Braveheart, which has AAC and AC-3 streams, neither play, even with 'playback correction'.  What can cause audio not to play?  What can I do to debug?

I sent an app log at @ 1:37pm CST today, user home. embyserver.txt

ffmpeg-directstream-9fada0c7-3dd1-44c5-9481-d1c31fcf5690_1.txthttps://emby.media/community/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=123085&key=2d832a857c0aca2b91f37bc59828cd4b

Edited by justinrh

justinrh

Audio doesn't play = no sound.

The soundbar is connected by a digital optical cable.

13 hours ago, justinrh said:

The soundbar is connected by a digital optical cable

Okay, that would probably be the issue.  The sound is probably being sent out the HDMI connection.  Does the TV have any settings to force audio output to the SPDIF connection?

justinrh
8 hours ago, ebr said:

The sound is probably being sent out the HDMI connection.  Does the TV have any settings to force audio output to the SPDIF connection?

To be sure @ebr I do get audio for most videos (and the TV).  This problem is only with certain vids that happen to be rips from my collection.  Yes, there is a setting for SPDIF.

33 minutes ago, justinrh said:

This problem is only with certain vids that happen to be rips from my collection

Yes, it is probably only a problem for formats that are trying to bitstream.

Please let us know if setting the output to SPDIF solves the issue.

• Solution
justinrh

I was wrong about having an explicit SPDIF switch; I have output modes of PCM or bitstream (that's what I was thinking of).  But it is not the soundbar; I can disconnect it and the TV speakers will just barely output some choppy sound.

I found the fix: disable "Dolby audio processing" in the Shield OS.  I don't like having to do that.  The other Shield has this option on and the sound is fine.

Anyone know why certain audio streams won't play with with Dolby on?  I didn't have this problem when using the native TV Plex app.  I don't want to think there some incompatibility with the TV.  😥

Could it possibly be the HDMI cable or the HDMI port on the TV (using the CEC port)?

Edited by justinrh

I found the fix: disable "Dolby audio processing" in the Shield OS.

Good to know.  We've seen other audio problems solved by disabling this as well.

I don't like having to do that

I don't think you are losing anything.  The description of the feature from NVidia:

The main purpose of this feature is to convert Dolby Digital Plus (EAC3) to Dolby Digital (AC3) on streaming apps for people who use older receivers that don't support EAC3. It does not do any simulated surround processing

• Thanks 1