weird connection issue

imjustleaving

imjustleaving

i have a remote emby server with a regular dns record (https://myurl.co for example). i can access that server from within my network from many devices' emby app like my android phone, apple phone, ipad and desktop computer. however, not one tv can access the server through its emby app. both tvs are 55" samsung and use the included emby client app.

i know the app/tv isnt a problem bc as a temporary fix, i set up an ubuntu server on the local network with an emby server in it mirroring the content of the remote server and everything connects to *that* just fine. so i know to tv works, i know the emby servers work (both of them), and i know there is no connectivity issues. i just want to know why my tvs can connect to the local server but not the remote one (and why literally every other device can connect to the remote server except the device i want most).

imjustleaving

oh also as a followup, i tried using the pin code to login through emby connect, which does something weird. when i go to the remote servers management window, i see the ip of my house authenticate to the server, but on the tv, it reverts to my local servers media folder, not the remote one. so it *can* actaully get to the remote server, but for some reason wont let me actually browse its library.

Lot's of other threads on this, but the short version is that the Let's Encrypt root certificates in the TV have expired, so your Lets Encrypt certificate can't be verified by the TV.

Only Samsung can fix this by updating the certificate via a firmware update.

Your alternative, which pretty much everyone else in this situation has done is switch to using an SSL certificate from ZeroSSL instead.

imjustleaving

since i dont have complete control over the server in the cloud i am renting, i am not sure if thats a possibility. i will ask. i assume everyone uses lets encrypt bc its free.

lets say i cant get the certs changed. can i manually update the firmware in the tv through usb or some other means? also, even tho i am pretty up to date on some stuff, shouldn't the certificate in the tv not matter at all? shouldn't the tv, reaching out the server, only need to trust the servers ssl? since i am initiating the connection, shouldnt my cert be unnecessary?

thank u so much for your answer. ive been killing myself trying to figure out what the problem is, and in the end, its ssl certs. simple. annoying, but simple.

shouldn't the certificate in the tv not matter at all? shouldn't the tv, reaching out the server, only need to trust the servers ssl? since i am initiating the connection, shouldnt my cert be unnecessary?

While that sounds like an ideal of how it should be, that's not how it actually is. We're not currently aware of any method to force the TV to accept a certificate that it doesn't trust.