momentary audio drop after FF

justinrh
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

justinrh

NVIDIA Shield

This is not a new issue but thought it was time I asked about it.  While watching a video (TS from TV recording), and you FF thru a commercial, then play resumes, and like 2 or 3 seconds later the audio will drop out for a half-second.  I can hear it and see the indicator light on the sound bar pop.  To summarize, audio sounds fine for a few seconds after play resumes then it blips.  Why does this happen?

I sent a log from the app @ 8:51PM CST, user home.

embyserver.txt

• Solution

I couldn't find your app log but this is probably related to the item having some sort of bitstreamed format (like DD) and seeking in what is basically an unseekable container.  The audio chain probably has to re-sync itself after the seek.

If you turn off the option to allow direct play of TS files, does it still happen?

justinrh

@ebr  I sent app logs at 1:00pm CST and 1:13pm CST.  Did you get them?  (one includes the item delete not going away issue)

After a short test, turning off direct play did not show the problem.  The seek behaves very different this way.  Is this the result you expected?

The TS files have AC-3 DD audio, which is the only flavor I've ever seen from TV recordings.

10 minutes ago, justinrh said:

After a short test, turning off direct play did not show the problem.  The seek behaves very different this way.  Is this the result you expected?

Yes, because, once the stream is re-packaged in HLS, I expected the seeking to work better.

This may just be a consequence of trying to direct play TS files and seeking with your particular hardware.

1 hour ago, justinrh said:

What about the app logs?

Hi.  Yes, I found those logs but they don't really show much in relation to this issue. 

justinrh

I just wanted to make sure you were getting the logs.

I'll decline to load the Android app for this issue.

3 hours ago, justinrh said:

I just wanted to make sure you were getting the logs.

I'll decline to load the Android app for this issue.

There is a decent chance it will not have the issue.

9 hours ago, Luke said:

There is a decent chance it will not have the issue.

Well, yeah, because it won't attempt to direct play the TS file.  So it will behave exactly like the TV app does when that option is turned off (it'll be fine).

justinrh
5 hours ago, Luke said:

It also has a newer ExoPlayer which may help.

Wait a minute.  You are saying ExoPlayer is part of the app and not the OS?

It seem like installing the Android app is often suggested as a fix (or test an issue).  Can you just make the Android app an ATV app?  ;-)