Bitrate exceeds DirectPlay limit

Dan833

hi, why is the DirectPlay limit so low ?

i was playing a movie outside my network on wifi and it kept stopping every now and then, when i got home i checked the logs and found this - Bitrate exceeds DirectPlay limit: media bitrate: 1255244, max bitrate: 1000000

so any video encoded with a bitrate over 1mbps or 1000 kb/s needs transcoding in Emby ?

DS File mobile app for Synology plays this fine with no transcoding. My upload is 25mbps.

Untitled.jpg

The Suicide Squad (2021).mp4.txt embyserver.txt

GrimReaper

It has been observed in numerous topics that "Auto" Playback setting in client apps tends to be on (for today's standards: somewhat very) conservative side. Change that setting to some higher fixed numerical value and you should have no issues, assuming your server internet connection upload/client app download can handle it. 

Edited by GrimReaper
Typo

Happy2Play

What client?  Didn't know there was a client that had a default bitrate that low.  Thought they were all 1.5Mbps or 3.0Mbps.

• Like 1

GrimReaper
8 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

What client?  Didn't know there was a client that had a default bitrate that low.  Thought they were all 1.5Mbps or 3.0Mbps.

Good catch, alternatively some bitrate limit may be in force.

@Dan833 do you have some bitrate limit set for 1Mbps, either Global (Settings>Network tab>"Internet streaming bitrate limit (Mbps)" field) or per-user (Settings>Users tab>Edit user>"Internet streaming bitrate limit (Mbps)" field)?

Dan833

@cayars and @GrimReaper on the server side i have not touched any of the settings regarding bandwidth. I don't use transcode either because my movies and tv are not high bitrate anyway.

What i have done, is in Emby for Android app in the settings>plackback>internet quality i changed it from the default setting which was Auto

to 1080p - 20Mbps. Now it does plays with no hanging 👍

Edited by Dan833
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

GrimReaper
47 minutes ago, Dan833 said:

What i have done, is in Emby for Android app in the settings>plackback>internet quality i changed it from the default setting which was Auto

to 1080p - 20Mbps. Now it does plays with no hanging

Yeah, that was the first thought I've had upon reading your description - glad you got it sorted out. 👍 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 3/2/2022 at 11:32 AM, Dan833 said:

@cayars and @GrimReaper on the server side i have not touched any of the settings regarding bandwidth. I don't use transcode either because my movies and tv are not high bitrate anyway.

What i have done, is in Emby for Android app in the settings>plackback>internet quality i changed it from the default setting which was Auto

to 1080p - 20Mbps. Now it does plays with no hanging 👍

@Dan833Thanks for posting the exact steps on  how you solved this! Just ran into this issue yesterday and I had no clue what was going on, so I searched the forums and your post was the second one I found. Guess my forum searching skills are getting better because it usually takes me a while to find answers lol.  You saved me a lot of time. Thank you!