Jump to content

DSM 7.1 beta compatibility


Cadkey
 Share

Recommended Posts

FrostByte

 

@cayarsany plans to test this in your lab?

DSM 7.1 Beta – Download Center (synology.com)

Important Note
This beta software is for evaluation purposes only and should not be installed in production environments. Synology cannot be held responsible for any damage, such as accidental data loss, caused by this beta software.
After installing this update, you will not be able to downgrade to a previous DSM version.
This update will restart your Synology NAS.
For the following models, DSM 7.1 will be the last upgradable version.
XS Series: RS3413xs+, RS10613xs+, RS3614xs+, RS3614xs, RS3614RPxs, RC18015xs+, DS3615xs, DS2015xs
Plus Series: DS2413+, DS1813+, DS1513+, DS713+, RS2414RP+, RS2414+, RS814RP+, RS814+, DS214+, RS815RP+, RS815+, DS2415+, DS1815+, DS1515+, DS415+, DS215+
Value Series: RS814, RS214, DS414, DS214, DS214play, DS114, RS815, DS1515, DS715, DS415play, DS115
J Series: DS213j, DS414slim, DS414j, DS214se, DS215j, DS115j, DS216se
Adjusted the LED indicator for drives' health status. When a drive's health status is critical or failing, the indicator will show static orange.
Windows 2000 domains are no longer supported.
Removed the "Synchronize with an NTP server every time a domain user signs in" option for Domain/LDAP advanced settings. Users can configure the "Synchronize with NTP server" option at Regional Options > Time instead.
Added support for the UPS power-off function at Control Panel > Hardware & Power > UPS.
Synology Storage Replication Adapter can only be used with DSM 7.0.1 or earlier versions. If you are using or plan to use Synology Storage Replication Adapter, please continue to use the current DSM version.
What’s New
SSD Cache Groups can be allocated to multiple volumes, allowing for more flexible management of SSD cache capacity.
Storage Manager now supports the management of the drives and storage of both active server and passive server in a Synology High Availability cluster.
If there is a file system error, DSM will unmount the volume to run file system checks without interrupting the services on other volumes.
Reduced the minimum threshold for low capacity notification from 5% to 3%.
Added support for custom OIDC (OpenID Connect) settings to integrate DSM with external SSO servers.
Added support for the RTF editor to allow users to preview notification message content and style in real-time when editing.
Added support for bypass traverse checking at Control Panel > File Services > Advanced to allow users to traverse folders and access permitted files or subfolders.
Supports specifying domains from the list of trusted domains to synchronize domain data.
Added the Greenwich Mean Time (GMT+00:00) time zone option at Control Panel > Regional Options > Time.
Added the synchronization status between DSM and NTP servers at Control Panel > Regional Options > Time.
Added icons on the taskbar to indicate ongoing background tasks that might affect system performance.
Users can now open tabs directly from search results in Control Panel.
Supports automatically updating the domain database and syncing domain data regularly. For Synology NAS that are used to create domains, the "Update User Groups/Lists" option in Control Panel > Domains/LDAP will be disabled by default after updating to DSM 7.1 Beta.
Limitation
The update progress bar on a Synology High Availability cluster might not display the actual progress percentage. This won't affect the update progress.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know some DSM7.0.1 packages are not compatible with DSM 7.1 Beta, and need an update.
So what about Emby server?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, FrostByte said:

 

@cayarsany plans to test this in your lab?

DSM 7.1 Beta – Download Center (synology.com)

Yes, sure am. I mentioned this yesterday in another thread.

Don't know why but for some reason the old "Spidey senses" are tingling so I'm doing a full backup of the NAS before proceeding.

I already have 7.1 ready to go as well as some of the other main apps people are likely to use which I'll also upgrade.  As soon as it's done backing up I'll be testing it.

  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2022 at 9:03 PM, cayars said:

Yes, sure am. I mentioned this yesterday in another thread.

Don't know why but for some reason the old "Spidey senses" are tingling so I'm doing a full backup of the NAS before proceeding.

I already have 7.1 ready to go as well as some of the other main apps people are likely to use which I'll also upgrade.  As soon as it's done backing up I'll be testing it.

Any news on test? This silence turn my spidey senses on....:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi, not yet. It's on our to do list to try it out. Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've done both the unsupported NVMe to volume trick with the upgrade to DSM 7.1 about a dozen times in testing and it seems to work fine.

I did experience 4 crashes at the start which I thought were NVMe related but found out it was a system root space issue and a good lesson I'll pass on. This is a "Linux" tip in general not Synology specific.

If you SSH into the NAS and "sudo df -H" you'll get a display similar to this.

image.png.df1fea583ccb4d43531301198a6527f3.png

The line above for /dev/md0 is the root mount for the system.  In the above picture it shows 22% full which is totally normal.  When I was having an issue it was 88% which wasn't enough free space to do the upgrade to DSM 7.1 and the beta package upgrades (I had configured).  It was filling my root "/" and would lead to system instability/crash.

Once I figured out what was taking up so much space in /dev/md0 and fixed the issue everything was very smooth upgrade wise.
PS It was a rogue 3rd party development package (reported and fixed) that was the cause of md0 filling up.

Just to be clear, when I said "crash" above I didn't mean a Windows "blue screen" type event.  On Linux when the root fills up you have no working space left which leads to some programs or commands failing to execute properly. As an example I couldn't "sudo", I couldn't add/remove packages, etc as there was no working room. It would get to the point I could even login via SSH. Once more space was freed up the system would work fine until it again filled up.

I never had any actual files or data at risk but it's a bit "alarming" until you figure out the issue and address it. :)

If you want to upgrade to 7.1 you should be fine but as always have a verified good backup which should go without saying.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/8/2022 at 6:44 PM, cayars said:

I've done both the unsupported NVMe to volume trick with the upgrade to DSM 7.1 about a dozen times in testing and it seems to work fine.

I did experience 4 crashes at the start which I thought were NVMe related but found out it was a system root space issue and a good lesson I'll pass on. This is a "Linux" tip in general not Synology specific.

If you SSH into the NAS and "sudo df -H" you'll get a display similar to this.

image.png.df1fea583ccb4d43531301198a6527f3.png

The line above for /dev/md0 is the root mount for the system.  In the above picture it shows 22% full which is totally normal.  When I was having an issue it was 88% which wasn't enough free space to do the upgrade to DSM 7.1 and the beta package upgrades (I had configured).  It was filling my root "/" and would lead to system instability/crash.

Once I figured out what was taking up so much space in /dev/md0 and fixed the issue everything was very smooth upgrade wise.
PS It was a rogue 3rd party development package (reported and fixed) that was the cause of md0 filling up.

Just to be clear, when I said "crash" above I didn't mean a Windows "blue screen" type event.  On Linux when the root fills up you have no working space left which leads to some programs or commands failing to execute properly. As an example I couldn't "sudo", I couldn't add/remove packages, etc as there was no working room. It would get to the point I could even login via SSH. Once more space was freed up the system would work fine until it again filled up.

I never had any actual files or data at risk but it's a bit "alarming" until you figure out the issue and address it. :)

If you want to upgrade to 7.1 you should be fine but as always have a verified good backup which should go without saying.

As always, fantastic and precious work @cayars!!!!!!! Thanks

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Updated to DSM 7.1 RC earlier today on my DS-918+ NAS. So far no issues with anything Emby related. No issues with Non-Emby related stuff either. I'll post back if that changes.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm still running very clean with no issues at all except a possible glitch in package manager.
I've seen a few instances of package repair removing all content vs a repair.
For now I'd just warn you about that so you can make a copy of data first as a precaution before attempting a repair.

This might be only happening to 3rd party vendors like Plex and Emby (2 examples) if the user didn't migrate the data.
Package center does a clean of your old location followed by a new install which leaves you with no data!!!

Of course it's only a major problem if you haven't followed migration instructions, have never done a Snapshot, have not installed or used the Emby Configuration Backup plugin, have a normal backup or copy of the data folder from Emby. The perfect storm of doing everything wrong. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Happy to report that I performed a manual update to 7.1 this weekend and then created an NVMe drive for emby caching (per the "Improve Performance" topic). Running with no problems so far.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sparker

Does upgrading to 7.1 interfere in any way with the SSD as a volume trick? Because I have all apps installed on volume2 (SSD) :P 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

DonMacaroni

By the way, if everybody else is wondering, why suddenly their / (/dev/md0) has lot less free space, than before...

Quote

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Synology Technical Support.

Since DSM 7.1. the Operating System will generate /usr/syno/synoinstall/space-preserve on startup.

The File is generated to reserve Space on the Systempartition for a Firmwareupdate.

During the Update the File will be removed so that the Space may be used for the Update.

If you remove the File it will be regenerated when restarting the Device.

However since this is included in the Design of DSM it should not cause any Problem for the Operating System.

We recommend against trying to remove the File manually.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best Regards,

Haseeb Sheikh
Technical Support Engineer

In my system, / is now uncomfortably full (86% utilized), so I started to wonder and found that space-preserve file, consuming over 500MB on /dev/md0 and spawned an support ticket, to understand what it is and why it is there.

Edited by DonMacaroni
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

FrostByte

Just installed Update 1.  Not much there and everything went well.

Fixes:

  1. Fixed an issue where users couldn't upload files to DSM via the Finder on macOS Big Sur 11.
  2. Fixed multiple security vulnerabilities regarding Netatalk (CVE-2022-0194, CVE-2022-23121, CVE-2022-23122, CVE-2022-23123, CVE-2022-23124, CVE-2022-23125).
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/26/2022 at 3:54 AM, DonMacaroni said:

By the way, if everybody else is wondering, why suddenly their / (/dev/md0) has lot less free space, than before...

In my system, / is now uncomfortably full (86% utilized), so I started to wonder and found that space-preserve file, consuming over 500MB on /dev/md0 and spawned an support ticket, to understand what it is and why it is there.

That was the cause of my crashes I documented above. Mine was sitting right around 86% as well and doing the OS upgrade as well as beta updates to certain apps was too much and filled it. Bad things happen if it filles. :(

You will probably find one or two files responsible for the space used (at least I did).

Has Synology support got back in touch with you concerning the space-preserve file?
Keep us updated as this is good info to be aware of.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

DonMacaroni
On 4/27/2022 at 8:50 PM, cayars said:

That was the cause of my crashes I documented above. Mine was sitting right around 86% as well and doing the OS upgrade as well as beta updates to certain apps was too much and filled it. Bad things happen if it filles. :(

You will probably find one or two files responsible for the space used (at least I did).

Has Synology support got back in touch with you concerning the space-preserve file?
Keep us updated as this is good info to be aware of.

I already quoted their response, that file can be deleted although they do not recommend doing it, but it would be spawned back after reboot.

Edited by DonMacaroni
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
iJoMun
On 4/11/2022 at 5:00 PM, Tremas said:

Happy to report that I performed a manual update to 7.1 this weekend and then created an NVMe drive for emby caching (per the "Improve Performance" topic). Running with no problems so far.

Dude, what is this NVMe Volume trick that you speak of? Is there a guide/link to a guide that I might lay my eyes on? My DS1621+ is starting to struggle on some 4K contents, stuttering, freezing and such nasty stuff. I believe the 1621+ has 2x M.2 slots. I could get myself a NVMe stick, install it and turn it into a new volume for Emby cache, but exactly how? What size drive should I get and does it need a heat sink? Would appreciate some feedback. Thank you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

FrostByte
25 minutes ago, iJoMun said:

Dude, what is this NVMe Volume trick that you speak of? Is there a guide/link to a guide that I might lay my eyes on? My DS1621+ is starting to struggle on some 4K contents, stuttering, freezing and such nasty stuff. I believe the 1621+ has 2x M.2 slots. I could get myself a NVMe stick, install it and turn it into a new volume for Emby cache, but exactly how? What size drive should I get and does it need a heat sink? Would appreciate some feedback. Thank you.

Something cayars was working on.  Allows you to use the m2 drives for storage and not just Synology read/write cache.  Procedures are in the pdf

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

iJoMun
1 hour ago, FrostByte said:

Something cayars was working on.  Allows you to use the m2 drives for storage and not just Synology read/write cache.  Procedures are in the pdf

 

Merci!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's made a world of difference for many of us using the NVMe's this way.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

iJoMun
55 minutes ago, cayars said:

It's made a world of difference for many of us using the NVMe's this way.

I commend you, my friend! I'm definitely going to try this. A couple of quick technical questions: What size/gen NVMe are you using, or what size/gen would you recommend? Is gen 3 fast enough? Also, do I need a heatsink for it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...