emby server does not work properly on my NAS synology

ielmax

Hi,

I have been using emby server for a few years on PC and Asustor NAS. I have never had any particular problem except for the metadata that tend to change itself without me being able to do much about it, especially on personal videos...

Today I installed emby server on a synology NAS (DSM7) and I go from disappointment to disappointment.

You have to make way too many settings are not automatic and the result is often disappointing. File conversion does not respect the requested settings and the DLNA service does not work at all, either on my freebox or directly on my TV.

I have been searching the internet for several days without finding a solution.
Has anyone ever faced this problem?
Is it incompatible with Synology?

You have to make way too many settings are not automatic and the result is often disappointing. 

Hi there, can you please provide an example?

File conversion does not respect the requested settings 

Can you also provide an example? Thanks !

First point: manual setting

While it is enough on another device to define the folders that one wants to use, on synology one must give manually read-only rights for the media, read/write for the conversion folders or backup folders. These rights can only be given on shared folders, this obliges to give these rights on almost the entire server, music not being mixed with movies and backups being in a special backup folder where are the backups of other systems...
The migration from one server to another therefore poses many reorganization problems. Not to mention that it is impossible to recover the metadata.
Rewriting these data, many of which are not available on the net, on nearly 3000 films already takes a long time. On the new server the metadata is often different from the original metadata.
With time nothing impossible, it’s just frustrating.

Second Point: Incorrect Video Conversion

As part of a choir I produce among other things concert videos that I make available to the backing singers on my server. I use emby conversion to make sure that all these videos are visible to users. Since I use emby (first on Windows PC or Linux and then on 3 different models of ASUSTOR) I have always used the same settings without any difference in the result.
The parameters used are:
     - Original media folder, replacing original files
     - Profile: Custom
     - Container: MKV
     - Codec video: h264
     - Audio codec: aac
     - Quality: 1.5 Mbps

On Synology, the result is a video whose quality never exceeds 862 kbps or half of what is requested, regardless of the type of original video (format, container, quality, etc.).

This last point, however, is very important to me. The video conversion on emby represents for me a significant time saving and so far the result was really a perfect reliability. Today I can no longer trust this conversion and I don’t have time to manually search for the correct setting.

Hi DLNA working or not is probably more in the setup of the Synology NAS or your network/router config then Emby itself.

You do not set individual file permissions either as that would be very tedius.

The way you manage permission is straightforward and very easy.  Create a share on Synology which will hold all of your media.  For example "Media".

Under the Media share you would have your libs such as Movies, TV Shows, Home Video, Pictures, Music, etc...

To set permission you simple grant read/write permissions for the system internal user named emby for the share.  Done

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44002313183-how-to-set-permissions-on-dsm-7