NowPlayinIitem reporting wrong file in grouped items

amb13

Hi

I've been looking at the API for sessions and what it's reporting. I've noticed that if an item in my library has two versions of it. I.e. a 1080p file and a 4k file some items in the API is not correct.

If I play back the 4k file I can at least see that the Sessions/NowPlayingItem/path is pointing to the 1080p version. The Sessions/NowPlayingItem/width and Sessions/NowPlayingItem/height is also reporting the resolution of the 1080p version. But luckily the Sessions/NowPlayingItem/Mediastreams is reporting the correct info for the current file playing in all my tests.

Is this something that can get sorted?

OK this is actually by design. NowPlayingItem is what you clicked play on. The actual mediasource that ends up playing is an abstraction - it could come from another library item, or it could come from something not in the library (e.g. folder sync feature).

• 3 weeks later...
amb13

Ok, thanks for the answer. I never quite got the grasp of how grouped items are handled. Is it random which file it the grouped item get its metadata from or is there some rules it follows?

They all have their own separate metadata, you just only see one at a time. I suppose that might make it feel random at times.

amb13

I know they all have their own metadata. If I browse into one of the grouped movies I have emby chooses one of the grouped items metadata and it always displays this. There is know way to change it as far as I can tell, and I also can't tell how it picks which metadata to show. When you change the file to play the audio and subtitle changes for each version, but everything that has to do with metadata stay the same. I can see the logic behind doing it this way and it works.

I'm just wondering how it pick which file's metadata to show (and if I can manipulate this in any way) and if the NowPlayingItem in the API would be more useful if it pointed to the metadata of the file actually being played instead of the grouped items metadata.

I'm just wondering how it pick which file's metadata to show

Whichever one you click play on and I get that that can sometimes feel random.