Win10 HTPC as Emby Server with Synology as media storage

eNoize

I'm curious about adding a Synology DiskStation to my network for library storage, but I want to keep my HTPC as the Emby server because I enjoy and prefer organizing my libraries from the PC. For years, I've been JBODing but am now looking to expand into NAS without having to loose my current libraries spread across multiple drives or having to transfer approx 25TB worth of files.

Anyone doing the same or something similar where DiskStation is for storage but using an HTPC as the server? Is it as simple as giving permissions in Synology to Emby and Win Explorer to access files? Or would it be recommended and preferred to use Synology's DSM as the server?

Thanks.

Spaceboy
12 minutes ago, eNoize said:

I'm curious about adding a Synology DiskStation to my network for library storage, but I want to keep my HTPC as the Emby server because I enjoy and prefer organizing my libraries from the PC. For years, I've been JBODing but am now looking to expand into NAS without having to loose my current libraries spread across multiple drives or having to transfer approx 25TB worth of files.

Anyone doing the same or something similar where DiskStation is for storage but using an HTPC as the server? Is it as simple as giving permissions in Synology to Emby and Win Explorer to access files? Or would it be recommended and preferred to use Synology's DSM as the server?

Thanks.

yes it is that simple. i have a win 10 server and 2 syno disk stations each with an expansion box. 

• Like 1

Spaceboy

i should also say that its not ideal. i'd prefer to have all the disks in the server case and attached to the server motherboard. but in the absence of a 60 disk server case this will do for now

Thanks @Spaceboy
I was also looking into building a server chassis from either Rosewill or Silverstone, but I'm really liking Synology's SHR over any of the RAID configurations in TrueNAS. 

Edited by eNoize

Spaceboy

SHR is fine for what it is. honestly, I'd prefer disk pooling software with duplication of critical files based on my choices. but it is what it is

For a really large server, I can definitely see that being the best solution. A small drawback though would be that each drive would have to be the same size and brand. Am I right about that?

Happy2Play
43 minutes ago, eNoize said:

For a really large server, I can definitely see that being the best solution. A small drawback though would be that each drive would have to be the same size and brand. Am I right about that?

No I have 2TB to 10TB hdds (different brands) in my Stablebits Drivepool.

Spaceboy

nope - disk pooling with something like stablebit you can combine any number of disks of any size and get the full space on all disks. with SHR you will effectively lose the largest (or one of the largest) disk to RAID, but you can use disks of any size or brand

33 minutes ago, Spaceboy said:

nope - disk pooling with something like stablebit you can combine any number of disks of any size and get the full space on all disks. with SHR you will effectively lose the largest (or one of the largest) disk to RAID, but you can use disks of any size or brand

Nice! Now, I have a future build to look forward to. Maybe a Rosewill 15-bay server. 

40 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

No I have 2TB to 10TB hdds (different brands) in my Stablebits Drivepool.

Sweet! How are you liking that Norco? Looks like a beautiful beast.

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, eNoize said:

Sweet! How are you liking that Norco? Looks like a beautiful beast.

I like it and am lucky as I have not had any backplane issues minus one bay light.  But they appear to be notorious for backplane issue and are no longer in business.

15 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

I like it and am lucky as I have not had any backplane issues minus one bay light.  But they appear to be notorious for backplane issue and are no longer in business.

That's a shame, but it looks like a really nice case. 

Thanks for the help guys.