How to migrate Emby svr from synology app to synology docker platform

WesleyK

Hello Emby team,

Due to the cpu workload when using transcode feature . so i wanted to migrate data and apps from apps to docker on my synology nas .

and i had install and setup the Emby server on the docker of sysnology . and delete the Emby app nas version from my synology .

however ., i tried to use the page to login to my account but it seems it is only can direct to the Emby new account registration page .

after that, i tried to use the online web  http://app.emby.media to log in ., it is success to visit my account . but seems only can use this link . 

therefore, i have a little bit questions , please advise .

1.  how to visit/login as usual to avoid to direct to the registration page ?

2.  is it just ignore the old Emby server(app version) ., and use the currently Emby server (docker version) insert of it ? seems i only can re-sync the data from my media .....

3.  is it just put my premiere key into my old account as well ? or need to create a new account for the docker server ?

4.  how can i get an information of the GIDLIST on docker setting ? seems i can't see this information on synology nas even use ssh to check . so i use the same as GID now. but i have not test yet. so please tell me if you know it.,

thanks

14 hours ago, WesleyK said:

Hi Luke,

Hmm im not sure 🤔 just check on Reddit and search from internet . 

What specific info did you find?

@Luke 

Hi Luke , i am thinking about is the docker version should be easier for manage such as the permission or migration than synology package version . so i had setup the emby server on docker now.,

but seems the control panel are missing the option of the decoder. so would you help on ? thanks

version of emby server on synology docker

https://hub.docker.com/r/emby/embyserver

i had based on the guide to running the command on docker already .

missing hardware decoders option.png

@Luke

Hi Luke ,

thanks for your information ., i had checked this topic already , but , there into a little bit for different for me . anyway , i havebeen enabled the graphic feature of synology for emby and apply into docker now , all looks good .

thanks again

@WesleyK I'd not run Emby in Docker on Synology. The Synology docker implementation leaves a lot to be desired compared to docker on other OSes.

Docker itself is going to add a couple additional layers on top of the OS you will need to manage making your configuration and control a lot harder.  You know have extra layers between the server and the media and of course the server and the hardware which can make problem solving when an issue surfaces harder to diagnose and fix as you have multiple places to look for issues now. Permission issues instead of being at the media level could now be at the docker app level, docker itself, configuration issue with either of the two just mentioned or of course the media/folder. You don't have direct network access any longer but instead a bridged or macvlan setup that can make setting up remote sharing harder to setup especially if the Synology proxy gets involved with the packet forwarding.  GPU setup needed for transcoding can be trickier to setup as well.

You're adding additional layers to the environment as well as running a generic docker build vs the optimized version compiled to run specifically on Synology. I'm not sure how these changes are going to help you especially when it's going to be harder to optimize your environment.  If anything IMHO you're taking a step backwards and just making your Emby environment harder to use and more complicated. Something as simple as a permission error (normally just check/fix permission of media or folder) now could also be the docker app configuration, docker configuration itself or the mount points used inside docker.

If it were me, I'd switch back to the native Emby Server for Synology which is optimized for the platform and shed the additional layers you don't need in the way. Then if you're having any issues with performance or anything else, ask for help.

If you're going to try and stick it out using Docker on Synology let me give you a tip. Do yourself a favor and install the community or free 5 node business version of Portainer and watch a few videos on Youtube to get a feel for how it works.  It's a great GUI that will quickly replace how you use docker on Synology. What used to need SSH to handle (ie docker compose) is just a click away along with a long list of other functionality that makes it a lot easier to use.

https://www.portainer.io/features

• Thanks 1

@cayarsthanks , i had runned emby on synology docker 2days already . Synology docker has something different with Linux. Although i had runned command for mount  quicksync/graphics inside of the emby . It is work . But it seems it is per time use . The quicksync/graphics will lose the connection with emby when shutdown the nas .So I had tried to setup an schedule on Synology to mount the quicksync/graphics automatically when poweron the nas. But it looks not work.... So i had decided and go back to the native .

Good move, but still take a look at Portainer if you use docker, especially if only once in a while as it will help a lot.

Now that you're back running the Synology version are you having any issues with QuickSync or did it just "work"?
Any other issues you want to go over or have questions about?

@cayarsthanks for your sharing. I will take a look and study about the protainer . 😁 The transcode is work at usual on the Synology native emby server . But i found that a minor bug when running emby laterst version on the mac device . Emby will double paste my copy on the login page.  But it is normal when i login by using browser . (The emby apps was updated from app store)  but i think you all will fix the issue on next version.

• Like 1