Where is the Genres source?

JulesC
Go to solution Solved by GrimReaper,

When I look at Genres, I noticed movies that appear to be in the wrong Genre. For example, I'm seeing Action/Adventure movies in Comedy that I know are not a comedy and vice-versa.

How best to address this? Can I pull from a different source (if so, how)? Do I have to make the changes "Manually" (hope not)?

Please advise.  Thank you.

Jules

Edited by JulesC

GrimReaper

It's usually TMDB and/or OMDB. 

Nope, within Emby you cannot selectively scrape metadata fields, it's either all or missing-only on Refresh metadata. 

You might make use of community-made tool here to empty those Genres on multiple (or all) items and then Refresh>Search for missing with different scraper but I suspect you'll get same results again. 

Alternatively, you can use 3-rd party  Metadata Manager which would give you a wider choice of scrapers in addition to two aforementioned. 

Edited by GrimReaper
Typo

GrimReaper
14 minutes ago, JulesC said:

One example, I'm seeing Action/Adventure movies in Comedy that I know are not a comedy.

Could you give specific example, as it is likely that that movie has Action/Adventure/Comedy (or more) genres attached, hence you're seeing it under Comedy? 

25 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Could you give specific example, as it is likely that that movie has Action/Adventure/Comedy (or more) genres attached, hence you're seeing it under Comedy? 

@GrimReaperThank you for your response. Here are just a couple examples:

Comedy that show up under Action also . . .

• Eddie (1996) - this is a Comedy. For whatever it's worth, IMDB classifies this as Comedy & Sports.
  • Fred Claus (2007) - this is a Comedy, Family. IMDB classifies as Comedy, Family, Fantasy which makes more sense.

Movies that show up under Comedy that are questionable . . .

• All Saints (2017) - should be Drama
  • The High Note (2020) - should be Drama, Music, Romance
Edited by JulesC

30 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

It's usually TMDB and/or OMDB. 

Nope, within Emby you cannot selectively scrape metadata fields, it's either all or missing-only on Refresh metadata. 

You might make use of community-made tool here to empty those Genres on multiple (or all) items and then Refresh>Search for missing with different scraper but I suspect you'll get same results again. 

Alternatively, you can use 3-rd party  Metadata Manager which would give you a wider choice of scrapers in addition to two aforementioned. 

@GrimReaper Thank you. I will check out your suggestions. I really appreciate your assistance.

GrimReaper
11 minutes ago, JulesC said:

Here are just a couple examples:

Comedy that show up under Action also . . .

• Eddie (1996) - this is a Comedy. For whatever it's worth, IMDB classifies this as Comedy & Sports.
  • Fred Claus (2007) - this is a Comedy, Family. IMDB classifies as Comedy, Family, Fantasy which makes more sense.

Movies that show up under Comedy that are questionable . . .

• All Saints (2017) - should be Drama
  • The High Note (2020) - should be Drama, Music, Romance

Emby doesn't scrape anything from IMDB. 

That said, as mentioned above, per TMDB:

- Eddie (1996): Action, Comedy

https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/11107-eddie

- Fred Claus (2007): Action, Comedy, Drama

https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/5375-fred-claus

- All Saints (2017): Drama, Comedy

https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/450806-all-saints

- The High Note (2020): Romance, Comedy, Music, Drama

https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/606679-the-high-note

And that's what's being scraped and what you're seeing. 

Edited by GrimReaper
  • Thanks 1

GrimReaper

Following above, looks like OMDB returns IMDB genres:

- Eddie (1996): Comedy, Sport

{"Title":"Eddie","Year":"1996","Rated":"PG-13","Released":"31 May 1996","Runtime":"100 min","Genre":"Comedy, Sport","Director":"Steve Rash","Writer":"Steve Zacharias, Jeff Buhai, Jon Connolly","Actors":"Whoopi Goldberg, Frank Langella, Dennis Farina","Plot":"Coincidences lead to the New York Knicks, getting its loudest fan, Edwina \"Eddie\" Franklin (Whoopi Goldberg), as coach. Season victory?","Language":"English, Russian","Country":"United States","Awards":"1 win & 2 nominations","Poster":"https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BMGE0YzJkNjUtOGU4Ny00Njc0LTg1ZmItNjA5ZGVkZGVhYzk5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzc5MjA3OA@@._V1_SX300.jpg","Ratings":[{"Source":"Internet Movie Database","Value":"5.2/10"},{"Source":"Rotten Tomatoes","Value":"17%"}],"Metascore":"N/A","imdbRating":"5.2","imdbVotes":"10,934","imdbID":"tt0116168","Type":"movie","DVD":"01 Jul 2003","BoxOffice":"$31,387,164","Production":"N/A","Website":"N/A","Response":"True"}

- Fred Claus (2007): Comedy, Family, Fantasy

{"Title":"Fred Claus","Year":"2007","Rated":"PG","Released":"09 Nov 2007","Runtime":"116 min","Genre":"Comedy, Family, Fantasy","Director":"David Dobkin","Writer":"Dan Fogelman, Jessie Nelson","Actors":"Vince Vaughn, Paul Giamatti, Elizabeth Banks","Plot":"Fred Claus, Santa's bitter older brother, is forced to move to the North Pole to help Santa and the elves prepare for Christmas in exchange for cash.","Language":"English","Country":"United States","Awards":"N/A","Poster":"https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BMTY0NDEwNzc0N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjgxNzUzMw@@._V1_SX300.jpg","Ratings":[{"Source":"Internet Movie Database","Value":"5.6/10"},{"Source":"Rotten Tomatoes","Value":"21%"},{"Source":"Metacritic","Value":"42/100"}],"Metascore":"42","imdbRating":"5.6","imdbVotes":"43,497","imdbID":"tt0486583","Type":"movie","DVD":"25 Nov 2008","BoxOffice":"$72,006,777","Production":"N/A","Website":"N/A","Response":"True"}

- All Saints (2017): Drama

{"Title":"All Saints","Year":"2017","Rated":"PG","Released":"25 Aug 2017","Runtime":"108 min","Genre":"Drama","Director":"Steve Gomer","Writer":"Steve Armour","Actors":"John Corbett, Cara Buono, Myles Moore","Plot":"When a group of Burmese refugees join the congregation, the pastor of a failing Anglican church attempts to aid them by planting crops and enlisting the help of the community.","Language":"English","Country":"United States","Awards":"1 win & 1 nomination","Poster":"https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BMjMwODgxMDU4OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDMzNDQ3MjI@._V1_SX300.jpg","Ratings":[{"Source":"Internet Movie Database","Value":"6.2/10"},{"Source":"Rotten Tomatoes","Value":"95%"},{"Source":"Metacritic","Value":"63/100"}],"Metascore":"63","imdbRating":"6.2","imdbVotes":"1,739","imdbID":"tt4663548","Type":"movie","DVD":"12 Dec 2017","BoxOffice":"$5,802,208","Production":"N/A","Website":"N/A","Response":"True"}

- The High Note (2020): Drama, Music, Romance

{"Title":"The High Note","Year":"2020","Rated":"PG-13","Released":"29 May 2020","Runtime":"113 min","Genre":"Drama, Music, Romance","Director":"Nisha Ganatra","Writer":"Flora Greeson","Actors":"Dakota Johnson, Tracee Ellis Ross, Kelvin Harrison Jr.","Plot":"A superstar singer and her overworked personal assistant are presented with a choice that could alter the course of their respective careers.","Language":"English","Country":"United Kingdom, United States","Awards":"1 win & 8 nominations","Poster":"https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BNmJjNGM0MWYtOTIwOS00NTEzLThhMWUtMzI4YzBjOGM0YmRlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_SX300.jpg","Ratings":[{"Source":"Internet Movie Database","Value":"6.5/10"},{"Source":"Rotten Tomatoes","Value":"71%"},{"Source":"Metacritic","Value":"58/100"}],"Metascore":"58","imdbRating":"6.5","imdbVotes":"9,469","imdbID":"tt9308382","Type":"movie","DVD":"25 Jun 2020","BoxOffice":"N/A","Production":"N/A","Website":"N/A","Response":"True"}

So, you might use Vic's Tag tool to empty those genres, then in your Movie library settings put OMDB as top-most scraper:

500105920_Screenshot2022-02-13021832.thumb.png.95f03b694c09bad3584aeb1d4addbfe8.png

and then do Refresh>Search for missing, that should populate those items with different genres/genre-combos.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

{"Title":"Eddie","Year":"1996","Rated":"PG-13","Released":"31 May 1996","Runtime":"100 min","Genre":"Comedy, Sport","Director":"Steve Rash","Writer":"Steve Zacharias, Jeff Buhai, Jon Connolly","Actors":"Whoopi Goldberg, Frank Langella, Dennis Farina","Plot":"Coincidences lead to the New York Knicks, getting its loudest fan, Edwina \"Eddie\" Franklin (Whoopi Goldberg), as coach. Season victory?","Language":"English, Russian","Country":"United States","Awards":"1 win & 2 nominations","Poster":"https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BMGE0YzJkNjUtOGU4Ny00Njc0LTg1ZmItNjA5ZGVkZGVhYzk5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzc5MjA3OA@@._V1_SX300.jpg","Ratings":[{"Source":"Internet Movie Database","Value":"5.2/10"},{"Source":"Rotten Tomatoes","Value":"17%"}],"Metascore":"N/A","imdbRating":"5.2","imdbVotes":"10,934","imdbID":"tt0116168","Type":"movie","DVD":"01 Jul 2003","BoxOffice":"$31,387,164","Production":"N/A","Website":"N/A","Response":"True"}

{"Title":"Fred Claus","Year":"2007","Rated":"PG","Released":"09 Nov 2007","Runtime":"116 min","Genre":"Comedy, Family, Fantasy","Director":"David Dobkin","Writer":"Dan Fogelman, Jessie Nelson","Actors":"Vince Vaughn, Paul Giamatti, Elizabeth Banks","Plot":"Fred Claus, Santa's bitter older brother, is forced to move to the North Pole to help Santa and the elves prepare for Christmas in exchange for cash.","Language":"English","Country":"United States","Awards":"N/A","Poster":"https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BMTY0NDEwNzc0N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjgxNzUzMw@@._V1_SX300.jpg","Ratings":[{"Source":"Internet Movie Database","Value":"5.6/10"},{"Source":"Rotten Tomatoes","Value":"21%"},{"Source":"Metacritic","Value":"42/100"}],"Metascore":"42","imdbRating":"5.6","imdbVotes":"43,497","imdbID":"tt0486583","Type":"movie","DVD":"25 Nov 2008","BoxOffice":"$72,006,777","Production":"N/A","Website":"N/A","Response":"True"}

{"Title":"All Saints","Year":"2017","Rated":"PG","Released":"25 Aug 2017","Runtime":"108 min","Genre":"Drama","Director":"Steve Gomer","Writer":"Steve Armour","Actors":"John Corbett, Cara Buono, Myles Moore","Plot":"When a group of Burmese refugees join the congregation, the pastor of a failing Anglican church attempts to aid them by planting crops and enlisting the help of the community.","Language":"English","Country":"United States","Awards":"1 win & 1 nomination","Poster":"https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BMjMwODgxMDU4OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDMzNDQ3MjI@._V1_SX300.jpg","Ratings":[{"Source":"Internet Movie Database","Value":"6.2/10"},{"Source":"Rotten Tomatoes","Value":"95%"},{"Source":"Metacritic","Value":"63/100"}],"Metascore":"63","imdbRating":"6.2","imdbVotes":"1,739","imdbID":"tt4663548","Type":"movie","DVD":"12 Dec 2017","BoxOffice":"$5,802,208","Production":"N/A","Website":"N/A","Response":"True"}

@GrimReaper thanks for the follow up suggestion. I will definitely check this out. 

On 2/12/2022 at 8:19 PM, GrimReaper said:

{"Title":"The High Note","Year":"2020","Rated":"PG-13","Released":"29 May 2020","Runtime":"113 min","Genre":"Drama, Music, Romance","Director":"Nisha Ganatra","Writer":"Flora Greeson","Actors":"Dakota Johnson, Tracee Ellis Ross, Kelvin Harrison Jr.","Plot":"A superstar singer and her overworked personal assistant are presented with a choice that could alter the course of their respective careers.","Language":"English","Country":"United Kingdom, United States","Awards":"1 win & 8 nominations","Poster":"https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BNmJjNGM0MWYtOTIwOS00NTEzLThhMWUtMzI4YzBjOGM0YmRlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_SX300.jpg","Ratings":[{"Source":"Internet Movie Database","Value":"6.5/10"},{"Source":"Rotten Tomatoes","Value":"71%"},{"Source":"Metacritic","Value":"58/100"}],"Metascore":"58","imdbRating":"6.5","imdbVotes":"9,469","imdbID":"tt9308382","Type":"movie","DVD":"25 Jun 2020","BoxOffice":"N/A","Production":"N/A","Website":"N/A","Response":"True"}

So, you might use Vic's Tag tool to empty those genres, then in your Movie library settings put OMDB as top-most scraper:

500105920_Screenshot2022-02-13021832.thumb.png.95f03b694c09bad3584aeb1d4addbfe8.png

and then do Refresh>Search for missing, that should populate those items with different genres/genre-combos.

@GrimReaper I followed up on your suggestions and here are my learning's.

@VicMoore Thank you for your awesome "Emby Tag App". This is a great addition for Emby and greatly appreciated!!! I wanted you to see my learning's to determine if your tool could have locked the Genre's.

@Luke FYI - since you asked, I wanted to keep you in the loop.

I used Vic's Tag app to empty the ACTION & COMEDY genres and in my Movie library settings, I changed it to OMDB.

Then I refreshed the Metadata (i.e. Refresh>Search for missing, that should populate those items with different genres/genre-combos). Here were my results:

• Eddie (1996) - it came back with NO genres. When I looked at the Metadata settings for this movie, the Genre was "locked". Once I unlocked the Genre and refreshed the metadata, then it appeared as Comedy,Sport as expected.
  • Fred Claus (2007): it came back as Drama only, instead of "Comedy, Family, Fantasy". When I looked at the Metadata settings for this movie, the Genre was "locked". Once I unlocked the Genre and refreshed the metadata, then it appeared as "Comedy, Family, Fantasy" as expected.
  • All Saints (2017): it came back as Drama as expected. I had to make no additional changes. However, when I looked at the Metadata settings for this movie, the Genre was "locked".
  • The High Note (2020): it came back as Drama, Music, Romance as expected. I had to make no additional changes. However, when I looked at the Metadata settings for this movie, the Genre was "locked".

Please let me know if you need any additional information. Thanks for your help with this. I hope it helps others.

GrimReaper

I suspect all those "locked" tags are consequences of you removing Genres by Vic's tool, as any manual intervention there (and number of other metadata fields) - either adding, removing or appending - automatically makes field/section locked.

@VicMoore, maybe tool should make sure changed field(s) don't remain locked?

Edited by GrimReaper

1 minute ago, GrimReaper said:

I suspect all those "locked" tags are remnants of you removing Genres by Vic's tool, as any manual intervention there (and number of other field) - either adding, removing or appending - automatically makes field/section locked.

@GrimReaper as for the locking phenomenon, that makes sense. However, as for the overall process, it doesn't explain why only 2 of the 4 movies I tested properly changed the Genres. Any thoughts? Just seeking to learn. Thank you.

5 minutes ago, JulesC said:

@GrimReaper as for the locking phenomenon, that makes sense. However, as for the overall process, it doesn't explain why only 2 of the 4 movies I tested properly changed the Genres. Any thoughts? Just seeking to learn. Thank you.

I don't see any specific problem in the four examples above. Which two were wrong? What were you expecting to happen?

GrimReaper
2 minutes ago, JulesC said:

I suppose because latter 2 movies didn't actually change anything:

All Saints (2017): TMBD:Drama, Comedy>Clear Comedy>Remained:Drama>Refresh Metadata OMDB:Drama>No change

The High Note (2020): TMDB:Romance, Comedy, Music, Drama>Clear Comedy>Remained:Romance, Music, Drama>Refresh Metadata OMDB:Drama, Music, Romance>No change

6 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

I suppose because latter 2 movies didn't actually change anything:

All Saints (2017): TMBD:Drama, Comedy>Clear Comedy>Remained:Drama>Refresh Metadata OMDB:Drama>No change

The High Note (2020): TMDB:Romance, Comedy, Music, Drama>Clear Comedy>Remained:Romance, Music, Drama>Refresh Metadata OMDB:Drama, Music, Romance>No change

That is correct. I went through the suggested steps. Changed to OMDB which had the Genres I'm more familiar with for my movies, however, on these two movies  the proper Genres were not reflected. I have no idea yet if there was any impact on my other 2,000+ movies.

Edited by JulesC

GrimReaper
1 minute ago, JulesC said:

That is correct.

Maybe I didn't phrase that correctly enough: what you're seeing there is your original genres (scraped from TMDB) short of removed Comedy genre; since they're locked - Refresh>Serach for missing did nothing. And even if they were unlocked - it'd still do no apparent change as genres are the same, there's none missing.

VicMoore

I will look at the code in the tool ASAP and figure out what happened. I will determine if the tool could have locked the genres.

Vic

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, VicMoore said:

I will look at the code in the tool ASAP and figure out what happened. I will determine if the tool could have locked the genres.

Vic

Thank you for the follow-up and for providing your FREE tool

VicMoore

I can't reproduce the problem. I added genres and checked the locks. Then I removed all of the genres and checked the locks again. I didn't observe any locks being set.

Charles, you might find the tool below useful to quickly observe what is happening when you change your metadata.  You can select a group of items and then click "next" and "prev" buttons to cycle through displaying their entire metadata.  I am still working on the tool, so it may not be perfect. Let me know your progress or if you have another scenario you would like for me to check. 

Vic

emby_new_tool_13.html

GrimReaper
8 minutes ago, VicMoore said:

I can't reproduce the problem. I added genres and checked the locks. Then I removed all of the genres and checked the locks again. I didn't observe any locks being set.

Charles, you might find the tool below useful to quickly observe what is happening when you change your metadata.  You can select a group of items and then click "next" and "prev" buttons to cycle through displaying their entire metadata.  I am still working on the tool, so it may not be perfect. Let me know your progress or if you have another scenario you would like for me to check. 

Vic

emby_new_tool_13.html 200.63 kB · 0 downloads

I can confirm that neither adding or removing genres with TagApp (ver. 29) does not lock Genres section, just tested. So the assumption was wrong.

@JulesC, have you ever manually appended those particular movies at some point in the past? And on some other random movies you removed Genres via TagApp, are the genres locked?

Edited by GrimReaper
  • Agree 1

@VicMoore & @GrimReaper

Thank you for confirming that TagApp (ver. 29) does not lock Genres.

@GrimReaper

I have randomly checked 25+ other Action & Comedy movies, and their Genres were not locked.

My senile brain just recalled that I have created two new Genres (i.e. Christian & Christmas) in the past. I noticed that the movies in these Genres were in fact locked. I never noticed this before. I'm assuming this is how Emby is supposed to work"?"

As for these movies we've been discussing where the Genres are locked:

• Eddie (1996) - I never changed the Genre for this movie.
  • Fred Claus (2007): I changed the Genre for this movie by adding "Christmas".
  • All Saints (2017): I changed the Genre for this movie by adding "Christian".
  • The High Note (2020): I never changed the Genre for this movie.

Hope this information is helpful.

• Solution
GrimReaper
3 minutes ago, JulesC said:

My senile brain just recalled that I have created two new Genres (i.e. Christian & Christmas) in the past. I noticed that the movies in these Genres were in fact locked. I never noticed this before. I'm assuming this is how Emby is supposed to work"?"

Yep, as stated:

3 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

any manual intervention there (and number of other metadata fields) - either adding, removing or appending - automatically makes field/section locked.

Basically, all metadata fields in Edit Metadata dialog, that have padlock icon attached, will automatically lock upon any manual appending. 

• Thanks 1