Getting (and correcting) Metadata

mevan

I'm using Emby 4.6.4 on Ubuntu 20.04.3. I've read this doc on Movie Naming and it suggests Emby uses, primarily, the *filename* of the content for finding metadata on whatever public database(s) are chosen. However in looking at logs and the structure of the application I can see that ffmpeg is also used in this process. Is there any documentation that explains this beyond what I've found in the 'Movie Naming' doc?

Reason being, Emby gets this process right a majority of the time. However, there are some cases where content is matched against something incorrectly. I am looking for a means to correct this as efficiently as possible.

I'm looking for things I can do via CLI, on the filesystem, that might prep the content for a more accurate read.

Hello mevan,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

rodainas

ffmpeg on this case is used when scanning new items into the library to get the media info from the file (tracks language, codecs, bitrate, framerate, resolution, etc.).

So ffmpeg is used for codec metadata but not catalog (title, imdb id, etc.) metadata? So it's entirely by the filename by which Emby gets catalog metadata. Is that correct?

And that being the case, is there a more efficient means of modifying the catalog metadata (and rescan of library) for content that was labelled incorrectly?

By more efficient I mean other than using the metadata manager (which is awesome, but I prefer to automate).

Edited by mevan

rodainas
25 minutes ago, mevan said:

So ffmpeg is used for codec metadata but not catalog (title, imdb id, etc.) metadata? So it's entirely by the filename by which Emby gets catalog metadata. Is that correct?

Correct.

27 minutes ago, mevan said:

And that being the case, is there a more efficient means of modifying the catalog metadata (and rescan of library) for content that was labelled incorrectly?

By more efficient I mean other than using the metadata manager (which is awesome, but I prefer to automate).

I know people use the identify option to correct it, aside from that maybe other user can bring more insight.

i personally like to pre-scrape/rename the files before adding them to emby using tiny media manager, another good tool to just rename based on tvdb/tmdb is filebot.

pwhodges

Emby uses the folder name in preference to the file name.

If something is misidentified, you can force correct automatic identification by adding to the folder name one of: [tmdbid=...], [tvdbid=...], or [imdbid=tt...] filling in the actual ids found on a manual lookup.  Note that IMDB is not used as a source by Emby (for cost reasons), but its id can be used in a lookup in the other databases.

Paul

Edited by pwhodges
  • Agree 1