Remote connection/users weirdness

diehardbattery

diehardbattery

To preface, I had everything setup correctly at some point (server name is/was CouchPotato).  Somewhere along the way I made some changes that led me to deleting the server and starting over with the same name.  I know I messed up somewhere but now it seems all a tangled mess and I am stuck.  Upon initial setup, things were fine.  My goal is to set up 2-3 other users (total of 3-4 including myself), with the option of having remote access.  On the new server, I have added 2 users.  Whenever I try to associate them with my emby connect username, I get an error that another user has already been assigned this (me).

In the past, when either loading emby from an app, or signing in via emby.media, I have been presented with 2 servers (both named CouchPotato, which I assumed were old and new respectively).  I am unable to access either.  As a troubleshooting step I deleted both.  However, neither show up now.  If I attempt signin with emby connect, I am prompted for the IP address.  I have tried both the local, and remote addresses (on LAN, and mobile connection respectively), and am unable to connect.  I am, however, able to access both via IP address via only web browser.

I am very confused, and don't know how to fix this and get everything working again.

@cayars

Hi, forgetting about Emby Connect for a few.

If you go to canyouseeme.org and and run a test with the port setup in Emby do you get a success or fail?

Are you able to access to your server using the URL (name or IP and port) in any Emby apps remotely?

diehardbattery

I have since uninstalled and reinstalled the app.  The users I had before are gone, so it appears to have started fresh.  That said I can fully access the server remotely now.

But that still leaves the issue from before when I link my username to another user for emby connect, I get the same message as before: "The Emby Connect user is already linked to another user on this server."  If I try the email address I get a different mesage: "There was an error adding the Emby Connect account. Have you created an Emby account? Sign up at https://emby.media/connect.  If you're still having an issue, please send an email to support@emby.media from the email address used with the Emby account."

There are 2 users that will not have local access.  Am I missing something?

Edited by diehardbattery

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2022 at 6:23 PM, diehardbattery said:

I have since uninstalled and reinstalled the app.  The users I had before are gone, so it appears to have started fresh.  That said I can fully access the server remotely now.

But that still leaves the issue from before when I link my username to another user for emby connect, I get the same message as before: "The Emby Connect user is already linked to another user on this server."  If I try the email address I get a different mesage: "There was an error adding the Emby Connect account. Have you created an Emby account? Sign up at https://emby.media/connect.  If you're still having an issue, please send an email to support@emby.media from the email address used with the Emby account."

There are 2 users that will not have local access.  Am I missing something?

Hi @diehardbattery are you trying to link both local users to the same Emby Connect account? They each would need to have their own. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

@diehardbattery the question still stands though. Are you trying to link two local users on your server to the same Emby Connect account? They each would need to have their own. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

On 3/1/2022 at 12:09 PM, diehardbattery said:

No, the other user would access remotely 100% of the time.

Ok regardless, you have to users created on your server. You're trying to link them both to to the same Emby Connect account which you can't do. You need two Emby Connect accounts, one for each, if you want to have them both linked to one.

How about this, can you show a screenshot of the user setup screen in Emby Server for both users? Thanks.

diehardbattery

Actually I think I figured it out.  I had myself linked to my own account.  I don't think there's any reason for that?  Now I am able to add my account to the other user.  But after messing around a bit, I'm not seeing the point in having it to begin with?

Happy2Play

First every user has to have a local user account no matter what.  Then you the admin have to link Connect username/email address to the local user account to allow Connect accounts to connect to their own accounts to track their userdata. 

• Like 1

diehardbattery
1 hour ago, Happy2Play said:

First every user has to have a local user account no matter what.  Then you the admin have to link Connect username/email address to the local user account to allow Connect accounts to connect to their own accounts to track their userdata. 

I'm sorry, this is not making any sense to me.  If only one user can use the emby connect username, what happens when you want multiple users to utilize it?  I think I need an ELI5....  

Happy2Play

Connect is optional as it is not needed to remote connect to your server, it just does not require you to give your remote users your WAN address.  Local accounts have nothing to whether they are local or remote.  Every user must have their own account on your server that you have the option to add a Connect username to.  So if you want to add 5 people to your server you have to make 5 local accounts then link each one with their personal Connect username.

So technically if you use connect every user has two accounts as they are two totally different connection methods.

WAN:port or app.emby.media

On 3/2/2022 at 5:01 PM, diehardbattery said:

I'm sorry, this is not making any sense to me.  If only one user can use the emby connect username, what happens when you want multiple users to utilize it?  I think I need an ELI5....  

@diehardbattery

They each have their own Emby Connect and then you sign out and then sign in as a different user.

The ones who connect exclusively on your local network don't need to use Emby Connect at all. They can just use the local user credentials that you've setup on your Emby Server. Does this help answer your questions?