Emby periodically stops on TS-451D2 due to invalid digital signature

normandelli

normandelli

Had a TS-451+ for many years with Emby working without problems. It broke and I replaced it with a TS-451D2. Reinstalled Emby 4.6.7.0 and also updated NAS firmware to 5.0.0.1932.

Since that update, Emby would periodically stop and log this error:

Error    2022-02-10    07:49:16    System    127.0.0.1    App Center    App Installation    [App Center] Emby Server has an invalid digital signature. The app has stopped and cannot be installed on QTS. You can remove it in the App Center.

Not having a signature has been the case for quite some time but it never stopped as a result. Until the last firmware update. Restarting the app resumes everything but it's quite an annoyance since TV recordings are sometimes missed, depeding on when the app stops and when I restart it.

I know QNAP has started locking down on a few security issues but this is quite unexpected. Anybody else experiencing this? Any suggestions on how to resolve?

Many thanks.

normandelli

Somewhat glad to know I'm not the only one.  😁

However, installation is not a problem - it installs and runs just fine. The problem is that it stops sometimes. Not having done that before, it seems QNAP now stops the app due to the absence of a signature. Didn't do that before but now it does. 😒

EmbySuperpower

I've enabled that options and the app stays up.

It should work for you as well.

My app also was opening fine, then after a while, it was shutting down. Now it's up and running since about 3 hours.

Edited by EmbySuperpower

normandelli

Oh wow I never even bothered to look in there! What a great tip!

I've enabled the option just as you suggested.

Thank you very much! 😃

apache07x

I've been having the same issue the last couple of days since I updated too. I just re-ticked the box to allow installation of unsigned apps. We'll see what it does. Kind of stupid for Qnap to untick that with an update. Thanks for the tip @EmbySuperpower

If you go into the QNAP forum you will see plenty of complaints about their handling updates because of security holes in firm ware releases as well as new apps included in the latest FW release that allow bad actors to gain admin privileges of the device. My advise after you got this problem sorted and Emby runs flawless, secure your device exposed to the internet and stay at a firmware that you are happy with and does the job for you. Keep monitoring if there are issues with your firm ware, since QNAP is arrogant in their approach to making sure their NASs are secured when exposed to the internet, in other words, they want to distinguish themselves by offering more features at the risk of compromising the security of their NASs as they can't be arsed to do a proper security check.