Qnap FW new version: The app has stopped and cannot be installed on QT

denisj

Hi there all, 

today I have update my Qnap TVS-882 with the 5.0.0.1932 

but when restarted the Qnap my Emby server was automatically stoped

and I have received this email: 

App Name: App Center
Category: App Installation
Message: [App Center] Emby Server has an invalid digital signature. The app has stopped and cannot be installed on QTS. You can remove it in the App Center.

I have started again, but after some minutes was stoped again 

I use the Emby full version 4.6.7.0 downloaded for Qnap installation.

What I ca do please ? 

Thanks in advance 

Denis

I am going to give my experience with QNAP as I have 3 of their NASs running for over 10 years and one having reached EOL. QNAP has a problem with their security as well as releasing apps that have not been thoroughly tested for security holes that allow bad actors to get admin privileges of the device. This resulted in a rash of FW updates to do damage control by QNAP because of ransomware attacks. The bleepingcomputer.com site is full of sob stories with locked and encrypted QNAP NASs because of shoddy FW releases by QNAP.

During these ransomware attacks, on my QNAP that runs the Emby server I have not updated the FW since Feb 2019 and avoided the FW updates that had security holes and were responsible for the ransomware attacks. I made sure that I secured the QNAP device's settings to not allow the usual ways to gain access by bad actors from the outside.

So, I am running my latest QNAP NAS for 4 years with absolutely no problems I am on the latest Emby server version and until any updates give me a problem, I tend to follow the mantra "If it ain't broke don't fix it".

Nitrofish
10 hours ago, One2Go said:

I am going to give my experience with QNAP as I have 3 of their NASs running for over 10 years and one having reached EOL. QNAP has a problem with their security as well as releasing apps that have not been thoroughly tested for security holes that allow bad actors to get admin privileges of the device. This resulted in a rash of FW updates to do damage control by QNAP because of ransomware attacks. The bleepingcomputer.com site is full of sob stories with locked and encrypted QNAP NASs because of shoddy FW releases by QNAP.

During these ransomware attacks, on my QNAP that runs the Emby server I have not updated the FW since Feb 2019 and avoided the FW updates that had security holes and were responsible for the ransomware attacks. I made sure that I secured the QNAP device's settings to not allow the usual ways to gain access by bad actors from the outside.

So, I am running my latest QNAP NAS for 4 years with absolutely no problems I am on the latest Emby server version and until any updates give me a problem, I tend to follow the mantra "If it ain't broke don't fix it".

Why not share the things you secured to minimize "the usual ways to gain access by bad actors from the outside" please?

18 hours ago, Nitrofish said:

Why not share the things you secured to minimize "the usual ways to gain access by bad actors from the outside" please?

There is no such thing as one change of settings fits all. Best place to start is at the QNAP forum and create an account. Then search for securing QNAP NAS and you will find many suggestions.

https://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=164535&sid=b3fc768baaf2b3da6a55d9704d22a83a

In addition install the security counselor on the device and let it run and evaluate the given suggestions. You need to look at port forwarding, remote access plus look at you UPNP settings on the device as well as the router. As already stated this is the personalizing of your NAS and it is different from individual to individual.

https://www.qnap.com/solution/security-counselor/en/