No audio on AC3 5.1 tracks passing through to receiver (TOSLink)

SmilesOBrien

SmilesOBrien

Hello!

Please forgive some general ignorance on my part when it comes to audio formats and the like. I'm also not certain this is the right sub-forum for this request but given the variables, it seems like the best fit.

I primarily use Emby on my TV via the Roku app. It was working perfectly well up until a few days ago, when I switched out a Haier TV for a Samsung (2020 model, UN65TU7000FXZA to be specific). Now on certain audio files (I can confirm AC3 5.1 at this time) will not play.

The Samsung TV is the only thing that has changed about my setup. I use a Roku Ultra which connects to my TV via HDMI. The TV sends the audio out via a TOSLink cable to an optical > RCA converter, and then into an old receiver which bounces to some floor-standing speakers. If I tell the Samsung TV to play audio via the optical out, no sound plays on certain files, in this specific case it seems like AC3 format. If I tell it to use the built-in speakers however, sound works.

As far as I can tell, some media works fine with my preferred setup (I have some files that have FLAC audio and that works), and playback on apps like YouTube have no problems whatsoever. I have also tested this via the Samsung TV Emby app thinking maybe it was a Roku issue, with the same result.

On my old Haier TV the optical out worked flawlessly, and the audio files seem to play on my phone and computer just fine, thus I'm suspecting this is a Samsung issue of some kind.

Looking over the logs, I'm not seeing anything that stands out to me as particularly worrisome. I'll include a relevant log below (and please let me know if you need more information), but to me it looks like Emby is chugging along happy as can be, so I'm hoping this is just a PEBKAC error. Is there perhaps a setting in Emby or on my TV I could be missing? Is it simple enough to convert the audio in the impacted files to a different format?  Or perhaps something else I'm not considering?

I appreciate your time/help!

Emby playback log.txt