Emby app on Roku freezing and forcing Roku to restart

Rohanaj

Rohanaj

Hey guys,

It seems the update to 44 on February 7th has caused an issue where the Emby app will completely freeze all functionality and response on the Roku.  5-10 seconds after it does that, the Roku will restart itself.

The first couple times I noticed it was when I got to the credits of an episode I was watching and pressed the back button on the Roku remote to get back to the Emby series listing.  Each time, the screen goes black as if it was going to go back to the series page, but the black screen stays and the Roku restarts shortly after.

Another instance that I just had happen today was where I had been playing an episode for about 6 minutes only, and backed out to the episode/series page.  It went back fine, and I let it sit on there for a little while.  When I pressed a button on the Roku remote to get off the Roku screensaver and resume the episode, I never got back to the episode page from the screensaver, as it froze to a black screen and the Roku restarted itself again.

This issue definitely didn't occur for me prior to yesterday's app update.

I don't have logs at the moment, but will get them to you later tonight or tomorrow morning.  I just wanted to make sure to post something quick to see if others are experiencing a similar issue.

As always, thanks for your time.

-Roh

Hi.  Sounds like this report which we were never able to reproduce or chase down.

Which Roku device are you using?

Rohanaj

Hi ebr,

I did glance back through posts, but didn't go back far enough it seems, sorry.  I'm running on a Roku Ultra, just like that poster was, but mine is on the latest build 44 of Emby app.

-Roh

pwhodges

I had a repeatable Roku reboot, but this was when trying to get out of playing a faulty TS file (any attempt to move backwards or forwards in the file just restarted at the beginning); when I backed out of playing the file I had a reboot.

I remuxed the file, and it then played (and exited) OK; I no longer have the file to reproduce this, I'm afraid.  At the time I provided logs, and that's how someone was able to tell me the file itself was faulty.

This was not on an Ultra, but a HighSense Roku TV.

Paul

Rohanaj

Quick update:

I had left the Emby app open, on the episode information screen, but was just letting it sit there, not having started the episode.  The Roku screensaver came on and was left on for about 20 minutes or so while I did other things.  I came back and pushed a button on the Roku remote to go from screensaver back to the episode screen in Emby and the system froze and restarted the Roku.

There is no log information to send during that time period, as nothing was being played from the server while the screensaver was on.  It seems like it's just some sort of issue with loading back to episode screens in Roku, either from an episode playing or just from Roku's screensaver.

I will let it sit on screensaver just on the main Emby page, not a specific episode, and see if I can replicate the freeze that way, as well.

-Roh

pwhodges

I forgot the details of my earlier report; you have reminded me that in fact trying to return from the Roku screensaver is what triggered my Roku crash, on two occasions.  I associated it with the file because on both occasions I had paused playback of that faulty file, for long enough for the screensaver to cut in (I've now set the screensaver time much longer...)

Paul

Rohanaj

In the last hour or so, I have experimented a bit with a few scenarios, specifically with allowing Roku's screensaver to come on and then coming out of the screensaver and back to Emby.

All scenarios that engaged the screensaver had it running for less than one minute before attempting to return to Emby.  (Only Scenario 3 did not engage screensaver.)

Scenario 1 = Sitting on main Emby screen immediately after login, no media selected; screensaver turns on; button push returns to main Emby screen and allows standard navigation.  Successful operation after screensaver.

Scenario 2 = Sitting on series page for Show 1; screensaver turns on; button push results in freeze and Roku restart.

Scenario 3 = Show 2, Episode 1 started; plays for a minute; push of back button returns to episode page and allows continued navigation of system.  Screensaver not engaged at any point in this Scenario.

Scenario 4 = Show 2, Episode 1 started (same episode as Scenario 3); plays for a minute and then playback paused; screensaver turns on (NOTE: this screensaver during playback pause is a DIFFERENT screensaver than every other screensaver that turns on for some reason); button push clears screensaver and returns to paused playback screen; pushing play allows playback of episode to continue; trying to exit episode with back button results in freeze and Roku restart.

Scenario 5 = Movie 1; sitting on movie page; screensaver turns on; button push clears screensaver and returns to movie page and allows standard navigation after.

Scenario 6 = Show 3, Episode 1; sitting on episode page; screensaver turns on; button push results in freeze and Roku restart.

Scenario 7 = Music album; sitting on album page; screensaver turns on; button push results in freeze and Roku restart.

Hopefully those scenarios can help in testing to find a fix.

For now, I'm going to disable the screensaver on my Roku, and I assume I will not run into this issue with it disabled, but I will update further if that proves to be a false hypothesis.

-Roh

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rohanaj said:

Scenario 2 = Sitting on series page for Show 1; screensaver turns on; button push results in freeze and Roku restart

In this instance, does the show have a logo that is showing on that detail page or is it showing the TV show poster instead?

Rohanaj
45 minutes ago, ebr said:

In this instance, does the show have a logo that is showing on that detail page or is it showing the TV show poster instead?

It was showing a background picture, the show text on the left with the Play S1 Episode 1, Play All, Shuffle, Played, and Favorite buttons underneath the text, and the show poster immediately to the right of the text/buttons.

22 minutes ago, Rohanaj said:

nd the show poster immediately to the right of the text/buttons.

Okay, good.  I think I have finally chased this down...

• Like 4

Rohanaj
22 minutes ago, ebr said:

Please test with the current beta of the Roku app and see if this issue is solved.

Done.

Tested series page, episode page, music album page, and the scenario where I start playing an episode, pause it to let the screensaver come on, and then resume playing and try to back-button out of the episode and get back to the episode page.

All four attempts successfully reloaded the destination pages and allowed for continued navigation.

• Thanks 1

dmwilliamson

ebr - 

Having this issue as well with the Ultra.  

Assuming the current beta has corrected this issue, how long is the eta for the fix to be pushed live? 

thegrunge

Salut, curieusement ou heureusement je n'ai pas se probleme avec ma tv roku je n'ai pas la version beta du serveur par-contre et j'ai l'application non beta de emby..

dmwilliamson

Installed beta and tested a few runs so far. Haven’t reproduced the problem on beta.

It was happening more than 75% on the non-beta version - feels like the beta fix has corrected it. 

• Thanks 3

bblackmoor

Has this been fixed in the next version of Emby? If you feel it has, then I will not bother installing the beta, and I will just wait for the next release, but if you would like another tester, I have been experiencing the same problem for about a week (Model 4540X - Roku Ultra).

1 hour ago, bblackmoor said:

Has this been fixed in the next version of Emby? If you feel it has, then I will not bother installing the beta, and I will just wait for the next release, but if you would like another tester, I have been experiencing the same problem for about a week (Model 4540X - Roku Ultra).

All reports indicate that it will be.  Unfortunately, I cannot tell you exactly when Roku will get that out but hopefully soon.

• Like 1

bblackmoor
2 hours ago, ebr said:

All reports indicate that it will be.  Unfortunately, I cannot tell you exactly when Roku will get that out but hopefully soon.

Splendid. No worries., then. Thank you for your effort. :)

Rohanaj
26 minutes ago, bblackmoor said:

Splendid. No worries., then. Thank you for your effort. :)

For what it's worth, it was super fast and easy to install the beta and I've just kept using that for now, until the main Emby app is updated.  It's working great.

gjames50

FYI, I was having a crash/rebooting issue on my ROKU Ultra also with the latest version of Emby. Mine happens when I'm watching a movie for awhile (not tv show episodes). When I hit the back button on the ROKU remote it crashes/locks up and then reboots the ROKU. NOTE: It will only do it on movies after watching them for awhile. 

I loaded the ROKU Beta App and it seems to be working without this issue so far (only a longer test will confirm this for sure). 

I also noticed that the ROKU Beta App appears to run faster (snappier response) then the regular ROKU App. Loading the app seems way faster as well on the Beta App. 

I'll consider this solved and can't wait for the new release version to have this fix/update.

Of course if I find the BETA App crashing I'll come back on here to post an update. 

Thank you!!

I Love EMBY!

thegrunge

You are really advanced on what is done in personal multimedia server. I have tried everything. Congratulations! Proof that perseverance and a job well done produces results!

Edited by thegrunge
  • Like 1