HDR algorithms?

chris0101

chris0101

Can I change the HDR algorithms or pick a different one , I've tried hable that's used by default and it appears wayy too dark in movies compared to Plex.

I'd like to try some others like Reinhard but can't see an option anywhere 

Hello chris0101,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

pwhodges

If you install the diagnostics plugin, you get a settings page for "Advanced Transcoding", and there is a tab on there for "Tone Mapping", on which you can change the algorithm.

Note that settings made through the diagnostics pages are not persistent - they are lost each time the program is restarted.

Paul

• Thanks 1

chris0101

Thanks that worked great. Reinhard definitely brighter than hable, it looked way too dark in the movie I was playing.

I know their all a compromise but will this be a setting in emby eventually. 

pwhodges

Not for me to say, but I presume so.  The tone-mapping is a recent addition, and is still work-in-progress in some areas I think.

Paul

rbjtech

I seem to recall, these setting DO survive a restart - it's only some settings in that plugin that do not.

@softworkz can certainly confirm this - or just set it to Reinhard, restart and see if it sticks :)

For me, Hable is also too dark - but a lot depends on the content/display - for bright animation for example, Reinhard and Mobius can sometimes over brighten and crush colours.

It would be REALLY cool to overwrite the default tonemapping algorithm per library or even per item.  ie you set a 'dark' film to tonemap to be as bright as possible during a transcode to try and maintain the detail.  

Edited by rbjtech

Hmm..

I've just stick with Hable. Now I need to try the others..

Edited by Sammy
Damn Auto correct on my phone😁

chris0101
40 minutes ago, Sammy said:

Hmm..

I've just stick with Hable. Now I need to try the others..

I would definitely get Reinhard a go,

I tested emby Vs Plex and hable looked so dark in comparison and the colours a bit off.

Reinhard seemed near identical to plexs implementation

rbjtech
8 minutes ago, chris0101 said:

Reinhard seemed near identical to plexs implementation

Can you change it in Plex ?

rbjtech
2 minutes ago, chris0101 said:

No you can't , but whatever they're doing it's quite a bit brighter and more colourful than hable, 

sure - during the tonemapping Beta testing, many of us commented that Hable was too dark - tbh, I'm not sure why @softworkz has chosen that Algorithm as the default - but I expect he has valid reasons.. ;)

chris0101
16 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

sure - during the tonemapping Beta testing, many of us commented that Hable was too dark - tbh, I'm not sure why @softworkz has chosen that Algorithm as the default - but I expect he has valid reasons.. ;)

Yea I know there's a compromise for all these algorithms, hable will probably keep the highlights from blowing out more often than not.

Guess it's personal taste? All I know was it was too dark for me , side by side with Plex was night and day , with Reinhard it's hard to tell them apart.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
jhoff80

Hable also often seems really oversaturated to me, though maybe that's also in combination with the display I'm using it with?  I've seen it make Caucasian skin tones way too red.

Edited by jhoff80

chris0101
1 minute ago, jhoff80 said:

Hable also often seems really oversaturated to me, though maybe that's also a function of the display I'm using it with?  I've seen it make Caucasian skin tones way too red.

Try Reinhard, looks much better to my eye.

• Like 1