Apple TV throttling connection hard while iPad is fine

RanmaCanada

RanmaCanada

I can't provide user logs as this is not at my house, and server/ffmpeg logs are useless, but I've included them anyways.  My friend is frustrated beyond belief because his Apple TV sucks for Emby, PERIOD.  His iPad has no problem direct playing anything and never gets throttled, on the same network with the iPad on wifi and the Apple TV hardwired.  Why after so long does the Apple TV app still suck so bad?  This screen shot from my server is ridiculous.  Both of these devices are in the same house, in the same room, on the same internet, but the Apple TV constantly gets throttled to 3mb.  We've tried rebooting it, reconnecting it, and swapping out the network cable.  It does not have this problem with my Plex server, this only happens with Emby.  Every single user I have with Apple TV's gets locked at 3mb and NOTHING fixes it.  1) they are on auto, auto is obviously broken, 2) we've tried manually selecting in the past and it does not resolve the issue as it will just buffer and buffer and buffer.

WTF?

Apple TV Throttling.jpg

Apple TV sucks.7z

Happy2Play

What is the client playback quality set to?

&VideoBitrate=2808000&AudioBitrate=192000

&TranscodeReasons=ContainerBitrateExceedsLimit

2022-02-07 20:37:00.865 Info App: Bitrate exceeds DirectPlay limit: media bitrate: 6413501, max bitrate: 3000000
2022-02-07 20:37:00.865 Info App: Bitrate exceeds DirectStream limit: media bitrate: 6413501, max bitrate: 3000000

#EXT-X-STREAM-INF:BANDWIDTH=3600000,AVERAGE-BANDWIDTH=3000000

RanmaCanada

It is set to Auto on both devices, this is why I've suggested before for there to be a manual speed test in the app so we can troubleshoot this stuff.

Edited by RanmaCanada

Hi, when you're outside the local network, auto will generically be on the conservatives side. You can try raising the in-app quality setting. Thanks.

seanbuff
11 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, when you're outside the local network, auto will generically be on the conservatives side. You can try raising the in-app quality setting. Thanks.

23 hours ago, RanmaCanada said:

1) they are on auto, auto is obviously broken, 2) we've tried manually selecting in the past and it does not resolve the issue as it will just buffer and buffer and buffer.

RanmaCanada
On 08/02/2022 at 09:06, Luke said:

The fact that both are on AUTO and that the Apple TV is itself hardwired makes this a serious problem that the dev team has to address.  Why is the Apple TV being throttled so hard on the same network while the iPad is not? Even raising the bitrate on the Apple TV does NOT solve the problem.

I know the dev team has gotten a lot of flak about the horrible support the Apple TV has, and I'm sorry to add my voice to it, but it's a serious problem when barely anything works years after the fact.  Can you please look at adding a manual speed test that users can do and have logged on the server side, so we can submit those to the dev team or even look at ourselves so we can troubleshoot these types of issues.  When we have gigabit internet on both ends and users are being throttled so hard that Emby is unwatchable, this data will help not only the dev team, but help us take this information to our ISP's so we can call them out for their illegal tactics.

RanmaCanada

So tonight I went to my friend's house to check things out, and there appears to be something seriously wrong with the Apple TV app and how it determines the speeds.  I have a library of test videos that are named in regards to their bitrate.  I manually set their Emby App to 1080p 60mbs, and the Apple TV had NO PROBLEM, and NO BUFFERING up to 35mbit.  Everything played perfectly fine.  I set the Apple TV to auto, IMMEDIATE "Media bitrate exceeds limit." bs and the stream is locked to 3mbit on videos that it previously direct played with no issues.

I've included logs, not that they apparently will do anything.

Every single Apple TV user I have has this problem.  Is it my end, or is there something seriously broken in the app.

Apple TV is Garbage.7z

seanbuff

This has been the case with the Apple TV app for quite some time now, the "fallback" bitrate was set to an extremely conservative 3Mbit a while back when set to Auto.

The solution has always been to have the client app set a higher rate than Auto, as you have done, and it would attempt to pull down the highest stream it can within that new limit.

But I thought the problem was that you tried that initially, and it caused continuous buffering? Are you saying that is no longer the case?

RanmaCanada

Tonight we had no buffering while I was testing it, maybe the stars were aligned or we got lucky.  If the "fallback" bitrate is set so stupidly low, it should either be increased (3mb is just garbage), or as I've stated before, give us an option to manually do a speed test.  I, like many people, have users who are complete utter idiots when it comes to technology.  Expecting them to even understand that they need to manually change the bitrate is ridiculous, and then there is also the possibility that they may have to adjust it every single time they want to watch something.

This needs to be addressed, and needs to be fixed.  I know the dev team is having a horrible time with creating an actual usable and friendly experience with the POS Apple eco-system, but come on, this is beyond dumb.  Expecting users to manually adjust things every single time is unacceptable.  I would love to buy my friends who use Apple TV's, Android devices, but I do not have that type of money, and these people are entrenched in the Apple universe "because it's so easy" so they more than likely won't accept something new.

• 2 weeks later...
RanmaCanada

Please do Luke as it is frustrating when the server will direct play 30mbit one file, and then throttle to 3mbit on the next.  If the connection was good enough for the first test file, why has it suddenly changed for the second.  FYI It's not an Apple only problem as I tested at another friend's house who uses Android and the server would randomly decide to throttle the connection to garbage.  is this a server problem, or is this a client problem? I only ask so it can be moved to the right support area and it be resolved or at least looked at.

bird 34 test.jpg

bird 38 test fail.jpg

bird 38 test.jpg

bird 28 test.jpg

Edited by RanmaCanada

7 hours ago, RanmaCanada said:

FYI It's not an Apple only problem as I tested at another friend's house who uses Android and the server would randomly decide to throttle the connection to garbage.  is this a server problem, or is this a client problem?

It sounds to me like there is a high rate of variability in the connection and, sometimes, when the test is done, either your server is very busy and slow to respond or the connection has dipped radically.

My server is used remotely a lot and I never see behavior like this.

RanmaCanada

That's the problem though, I have plenty of bandwidth to spare, and all these test above were done back to back, though it still doesn't explain the Apple TV issue where the iPad will direct play and the Apple TV gets throttled to garbage when they are playing the same file at the same time.

So it could be an issue where your Emby server is really busy with something right at the time that the bandwidth test is done.

• 3 weeks later...
unisoft
On 01/03/2022 at 13:35, ebr said:

It sounds to me like there is a high rate of variability in the connection and, sometimes, when the test is done, either your server is very busy and slow to respond or the connection has dipped radically.

My server is used remotely a lot and I never see behavior like this.

It's a known issue. Auto doesn't work when on WAN on various emby apps. 

Cable connection 1gbps, 52 upstream. Receiving end is 380mbps 22 upstream. Receiving end is same ISP 3.5 miles apart. Both connections don't have any issue with snr, power levels or utilisation at the ISP. Server not busy either. Nobody else on either network when testing Auto out. Media max if 11mbps.

Set to 35/40mbps manually and bullet proof. Works fine. Reported before to Luke. 

Edited by unisoft