DS220j Emby Server Suddenly can't be accessed

embykaeru

embykaeru

DSM 7 (latest firmware)

I installed Emby a few weeks ago and it worked fine.  Synology NAS, accessed via TVOS app.  Suddently it won't connect to Apply TV or desktop.  Apple TV says "Connection Failure". I can access it via Synology Dashboard sometimes but very slow (like hours).

I don't have remote access enabled if that makes a difference.  I am also not on premiere.

FrostByte

You will need to enable SSH on the NAS and then use a client such as Putty, Terminal, or WinSCP.  The install folders are not shared so you won't be able to use File Station.

• 1 month later...
embykaeru

Hi, thanks for the follow up.  I did not try that as it seems like quite a lot of work just to get a log file. I am still having the same issue with Emby though.

Tandhruil

Hi

How many records are in your libraries ? DS220j have only 512 MB of RAM if the library is to big Emby gets really slow.

You can also try to deactivate(or stop) indexation on your Synology, it runs a lot of ressources.

In Packetcenter you can also stop/start Emby to recover the dashboard

embykaeru
On 3/11/2022 at 6:11 PM, Tandhruil said:

Hi

How many records are in your libraries ? DS220j have only 512 MB of RAM if the library is to big Emby gets really slow.

You can also try to deactivate(or stop) indexation on your Synology, it runs a lot of ressources.

In Packetcenter you can also stop/start Emby to recover the dashboard

Thanks.  I did add some large files before it acted up.  I have deleted them since, but the problem still persists.

Tandhruil
6 hours ago, embykaeru said:

Thanks.  I did add some large files before it acted up.  I have deleted them since, but the problem still persists.

The problem is not the size of the files but the number of files, it's worse for the system to have 1000 of 2MB photos than a 4GB movie.

Have you tried to restart Emby in your Package Center of your NAS ?

How are your ressources in your Ressource Monitor (performance, Emby task)?

If you added a lot of content, party of your problem might be as simple as needing to optimize the Emby Database due to fragmentation.

While we try our hardest the reality is that a low end NAS with 512MB total isn't going to be the most ideal platform for running applications on.
Do you by any chance have the ability to install Emby Server on a PC with the files stored on the NAS?

A setup like that would be rather ideal as you have the power of the PC to run Emby Server while you have the NAS doing what it does best for your files.

Carlo

PS if you let us know what version of the server you're running we can give you simple instructions to try and optimize your database to see if that helps. 

embykaeru
6 hours ago, cayars said:

If you added a lot of content, party of your problem might be as simple as needing to optimize the Emby Database due to fragmentation.

While we try our hardest the reality is that a low end NAS with 512MB total isn't going to be the most ideal platform for running applications on.
Do you by any chance have the ability to install Emby Server on a PC with the files stored on the NAS?

A setup like that would be rather ideal as you have the power of the PC to run Emby Server while you have the NAS doing what it does best for your files.

Carlo

PS if you let us know what version of the server you're running we can give you simple instructions to try and optimize your database to see if that helps. 

Thanks. I have the latest version as of yesterday.  I deleted the large files, reinstalled Emby and it is working now so far.  I am not really a power user and just use the server to store files and watch my home videos so I thought 512 mb is enough.  Besides memory usage doesn't seem that high.  I'd like to know how to optimize anyway.  I don't think the PC option is ideal for my setup unfortunately.  

8 minutes ago, embykaeru said:

Thanks. I have the latest version as of yesterday.  I deleted the large files, reinstalled Emby and it is working now so far.  I am not really a power user and just use the server to store files and watch my home videos so I thought 512 mb is enough.  Besides memory usage doesn't seem that high.  I'd like to know how to optimize anyway.  I don't think the PC option is ideal for my setup unfortunately.  

When you run into the problem, after you're able to start the server back up again you can use the server web interface to provide the log file from the previous run:

That may tell us something. Thanks.