Emby app on 2 Roku devices losing default tab settings

Bingie

Yesterday, our living room roku switched default settings on our movie library.  Today, the bedroom roku switched default settings on our music library.

I'm guessing there was a recent update to emby on roku?  If so, it's breaking things.  If not, well, no clue, but I have noticed the Emby on Roku has been getting increasingly sluggish over the past few weeks, taking much longer to load things that used to be nearly instant.  I've checked the server, rebooted it, server seems fine, resources all pretty much idle.

I'll post here if anything else happens to the emby app on roku.

5 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  What version of the app does it show?

Hi, sorry, I got totally slammed busy after posting that :o

Says 4.0 build 44.

Now my music shuffle isn't working, just plays one song then stops.  Something is definitely going on.

I guess I should add these are new Roku TV's, so not used to using a tv with roku built in.  Let me re-connect the old roku boxes, check the version, and see if they are losing their minds.  I really like the tv with roku built in, it remembers last source played and will switch to cable box automatically, but if the built-in roku is having issues, we may have to use the external roku's, but that would mean 3 remotes DOH!

Edited by Bingie

Okay I did an update, it updated something about channels, but still says 4.0 build 44.

The video shuffle is working now YAY I put music videos on in the background while I work :)

That may have fixed it.  I'll do an update on the other tv now, and post back here if any other problems surface.

Thanks for reading.

3 hours ago, Luke said:

Thanks for the feedback.

Okay I think I figured out what is happening, and yes, there is definitely a problem with the Emby app SG 4.0.44 (current) on roku.

When you go to play a video, any video, it loads as usual, but when it should start playing, the screen is blank and no audio, yet the Emby client thinks it's playing.  If you wait like 10 seconds, then press pause, it shows the video paused at the 10 second mark.  Hit play again and it resumes playing but no video or audio.  If you pause, then press search forward, then play, sometimes it starts playing the actual video and audio, othertimes it resumes blank video and no audio.

This problem is more noticeable if you play a bunch of short videos.  I have hundreds of music videos that I just put on random play, and it will play 0 to 2 videos before this playback error acts up.

Out of curiosity, thinking maybe it's the video file, I would stop the video, then start it again, and sometimes it will play as normal, and I've had these video files for a long time now, I don't think it's the files, they played just fine in the past.

Also, I did the usual, checked/rebooted the server, uninstalled/reinstalled the emby app on roku.  Still bugged.

I think the current Emby client 4.0.44 on Roku has an intermittent playback bug.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Bingie

Happy2Play

Mind did not lose default tabs, but I know I had to set them way back when the tabs options was introduced.  Have you tried resetting default tabs option in the client?  Star key within library.

1 hour ago, Bingie said:

Okay I think I figured out what is happening, and yes, there is definitely a problem with the Emby app SG 4.0.44 (current) on roku.

When you go to play a video, any video, it loads as usual, but when it should start playing, the screen is blank and no audio, yet the Emby client thinks it's playing.  If you wait like 10 seconds, then press pause, it shows the video paused at the 10 second mark.  Hit play again and it resumes playing but no video or audio.  If you pause, then press search forward, then play, sometimes it starts playing the actual video and audio, othertimes it resumes blank video and no audio.

This problem is more noticeable if you play a bunch of short videos.  I have hundreds of music videos that I just put on random play, and it will play 0 to 2 videos before this playback error acts up.

Out of curiosity, thinking maybe it's the video file, I would stop the video, then start it again, and sometimes it will play as normal, and I've had these video files for a long time now, I don't think it's the files, they played just fine in the past.

Also, I did the usual, checked/rebooted the server, uninstalled/reinstalled the emby app on roku.  Still bugged.

I think the current Emby client 4.0.44 on Roku has an intermittent playback bug.

Hope this helps.

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue and also send a log from the app. Thanks!

1 hour ago, ebr said:

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue and also send a log from the app. Thanks!

Emby Server:  4.6.7.0 (current) running on win10home

Emby Client: 4.0.44 (current) for roku (ROKU service is built-in on a 40' TCL Roku TV)

Problem:

About 20% of the time, when playing any video, Emby fetches the video and thinks it is playing, but the screen is blank and no audio.  If you hit pause, you get the pause screen on top of the blank screen.  If you hit play, it goes back to blank.  If you pause then fast forward, Emby client fetches the new video location, and will either begin playing the audio/video correctly from that point, or will continue with blank screen/no audio.

If you stop the video, then start it again, it may or may not play correctly.  These video files have always played correctly in the past.  This problem is new.

I checked the win10 (Emby server) for disk errors, ran the disk defrag, rebooted, etc., win10 looks okay.

I uninstalled/reinstalled the Emby client 4.0.44 for Ruku, same problems.  Easily re-created on two separate 40' TCL Roku TV's (Roku app is built-in to the tv)

THIS IS NEW:  I connected an older Roku Ultra to the same tv, and it plays just fine, unable to recreate the problem.  It is also running Emby client 4.0.44.  This leads me to think it is a problem with the 40' TCL Roku TV (roku app is built-in).  I'm going to look into upgrading the TV flash if possible.  My guess at this point is it's either the roku app on the tv, or the tv itself has trouble playing some videos (but plays fine from external roku ultra).  I'll do more testing.

see attached log files

ffmpeg-transcode-0e89a3bd-f566-4c15-8fbf-7b48dd7dea0e_1.txt embyserver.txt

Edited by Bingie

2 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Mind did not lose default tabs, but I know I had to set them way back when the tabs options was introduced.  Have you tried resetting default tabs option in the client?  Star key within library.

Hi, yes, I had to manually reset the default tabs on both roku tv's.  It appears that both tv's got hit at the same time, losing their default tab settings.  I reset them.  If it happens again, I'll be sure to mention it in this thread, but so far, the tabs are holding.

I found something new, may be the culprit:

The Roku Ultra is running latest 10.5.0 Build 4208

The TCL Roku TV is also running latest, but is using a newer version: 10.5.0 Build 4210

I'm guessing it's the roku app on the roku tv.  Since it is currently running the latest, not sure if there is anything I can do.  I'll still look for a flash upgrade for the TCL Roku TV, if there is one available.  There is no option in the menu to upgrade the flash, just the roku version.

Happy2Play

Interesting, it is reporting supported resolution but saying it is not supported.

&MaxWidth=1080&MaxHeight=1920

&TranscodeReasons=VideoResolutionNotSupported

"Height":1080,"Width":1920,

Then transcodes from 1920x1080 to 1080x608.

Not seeing this on my Roku but it is not a Roku TV.

pwhodges

So width and height are transposed in the report, which would upset it I guess.

Paul

• Like 1

SOLVED:  don't use the built-in roku on roku tv's :o

I stopped using the roku built in to the tv, and I'm back to using an external roku ultra, which works just fine, and much faster too.

Not really a solution, but good enough for me.  It appears TCL is running a custom roku build on their tv's, and it has problems, so best not to use it.

10 hours ago, Bingie said:

SOLVED:  don't use the built-in roku on roku tv's :o

I stopped using the roku built in to the tv, and I'm back to using an external roku ultra, which works just fine, and much faster too.

Not really a solution, but good enough for me.  It appears TCL is running a custom roku build on their tv's, and it has problems, so best not to use it.

Your TV should work fine with the next update to the app.